4.0 out of 5 stars Descend movie worth watching
Published 15 days ago by Mariusz Dyc

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Was very disappointed. I thought that I was buying the musical to help with my daughters GCSE drama piece. I was wrong.
Published 3 months ago by Angela Clare Oldroyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Descend movie worth watching, 27 Jun 2014
No idea why alot of people didn't like it and why one of the reviews was saying that don't know what time line and plot was about good thing i didnt trust the review's. movie was very good this reminded me of Legend of the fist: Return of Chen Zhen, Qi Shu is also in this one and definity the 30's suits her, great acting by her this movie is a must see for fans of films like once upon a time in america/ godfather etc. although don't expect it to be of the same quality. overall very pleased with this movie sound effects were also spot on didn't find any out of sync here, recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon A TIme In Shanghai, 9 Nov 2011
Barry Bryceland (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Brothers [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Sumptuous art deco backdrop provide a suitable stage for this love letter to golden age Hollywood: the ageless Cagney flicks and the celestial impossibility of the Busby Berkeley musicals against a brocaded curtain of Shanghai decadence.

Finely acted with luxuriant cinematography and lush cod-Morricone score, this tragic romance cum gangster drama plays out pretty much as you expect but it sure is fun getting there. Produced and co-written by Woo, those expecting Hard Boiled or The Killer levels of carnage are likely to be disappointed, but those in the mood for a more sedate pace will find much to cherish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 1 April 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars I guess the squibs kept slipping..., 21 Dec 2012
Carl Fenn (Chichester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Brothers [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I'm not going to beat around the bush here, this was a God awful film. The only thing this was missing was a few star-wipes.
Set in 1930s Shanghai, the sets and period costumes were all this film had going for it.
Poor continuity, out-of-sync sound effects, over use of fade and shoddy editing always make any film that much harder to watch, but Blood Brothers also had a knack for stacking scene upon scene containing as little story as possible. At some points I genuinely didn't know if it was a continuation of a previous scene, or it was supposed to be several weeks/months later.
As for the writing... I have no idea if the plan was to make such a short film, but it felt like an extended trailer for a much longer film. Stories barely developed, characters had no depth and rarely was there a scene longer than about 3 minutes; and all of this from three writers.
I'd like to say that if this was spread over two films and had more detail written in that I'd watch it and enjoy it, however it's not the case. Every idea seemed to be copied directly from an 'Idiots guide to writing a clichéd period gangster film'.
I should really learn that if the front cover quotes are from websites, it's probably not going to be any good.

1.0 out of 5 stars so not what i wanted, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Blood Brothers [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
i ordered this as I though it would help my daughter with her drama home work - so wrong looks like ~I have a xmas pressie for someone!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Blood Brothers [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I bought this DVD expecting it to be the musical version... Mistake on my part! Watched it anyway and found that the dialogue wasn't in English, so I had to watch the entire film with subtitles.... Very annoying. (J Neale, daughter)

1.0 out of 5 stars Its the wrong film!, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: Blood Brothers [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I went to see musical in Birmingham and bought this for family who were unable to come with us. Its the wrong film! It's horrible

Blood Brothers [DVD] [2007]
Blood Brothers [DVD] [2007] by Alexi Tan (DVD - 2010)
4.49