on 16 September 2014
What could have been a scholarly destruction of the Bible is completely ruined by the authors use of swearing and crude language. I am not prudish AT ALL but I thought that the use of bad language completely destroyed the readability and impact of this book.

It seems that unless we have a running monologue about how stupid these Christians are and how they are such f***ing morons to believe all this hogwash then we can't discuss the subject. I got about 30 pages in and stopped reading.

I am a born again atheist. I do not believe in God, heaven or hell - at all. I thought that reading this book might help me in arguing with believers. A long time ago I studied Theology and hoped that this book would help refresh my mind about all of the many flaws in the bible. It did do so but any Christian reading it would just be able to point to how unpleasantly obnoxious it is. I suppose if you sift through it you can gain knowledge but I prefer Dawkins more polite writings.

I would like to see it rewritten without the bad language and the "nudge nudge wink wink" aren't they all complete w**kers for believing in this cr*p.
on 23 June 2014
A fascinating romp through the 'book of book's. Frankly, this is the sort of book that we should encourage being taught as part of religious education.

It gets you to think about the texts in the Bible and, when you do, you get decidedly worried about anyone who is believes what it has to say to us.

God, it seems, is a decidedly nasty piece of work.
on 15 February 2015
This was a good read. As a christian, it was interesting to see someone's perspective who clearly does not understand God. I would encourage all Christians to read this. He is so wrong in some of his comments. The editors were correct when they said that we would split our sides from laughing, because it is very amusing that he has absolutely no idea what the Bible means.
on 27 October 2010
I didn't know what to make of this book at first, but then I realised what I had in my hand was a powerful, emotive and explosive book written by a man who is clearly passionate about his subject, but more then that - the book was hilarious!! I would simply love to have someone like Billy Connolly read this book out loud and I'm sure it would bring the house down. Reading through the book I admit I actually did have a few LOL moments.

That being said, the book does have an undertone of all seriousness. Sure we can laugh at the faithful and their backward belief system, but as CJ points out there are plenty of people who revere this pith as the absolute truth! CJs no holds bar attack on this cult is justified and venerable.

So I can recommend this book to anyone who wants to equip themselves with some prime-time,anti-religious quotations. You are guaranteed to find something great inside this little gem.
on 2 February 2010
As a combination of wit, facts and careful biblical research this book is exceptional. Even the Introduction is screamingly funny merely by stating facts garnered from reputable sources. If these, from the Introduction, do not make you laugh you either have no sense of humour or you are a USA bible belt christian:

93% of American households own at least one copy of the bible known, despite its sadism, grotesque sex and a god with an insatiable appetite for flattery, as "The Good Book."

More than 50% of High School seniors think Sodom and Gomorrah are a married couple.

The same percentage of Americans don't know Genesis is the first book of the Bible.

More than 20% think Moses was one of Jesus' disciples.

And yet a recent Rasmussen poll found 44% of Americans believe in the literal truth of the bible. This means they believe a talking snake encouraged a woman to eat an apple; a 900 year old man built an Arc to replenish humanity. And that is only from the Introduction. The only caution I offer is that when you read the book you could do yourself an injury laughing. But you will learn more about the bible, more entertainingly and based on serious research than you could imagine. I loved it.
on 11 July 2012
I'm afraid I only got as far as 30% on my kindle with this book. Werleman is a very witty writer and it was only his commentary that enabled me to make as far. Unfortunately, instead of making his points and selecting passages from the Old Testament to illustrate them, he ploughs stolidly from Genesis onwards, through to the bitter end and doggedly faithful to the order laid down by the OT. I had forgotten what turgid and desultory reading the OT makes for and by The Book of Judges I had had enough. This would have been a much more effective book for being somewhat truncated and decidedly more selective. I have to agree with the sentiments expressed, but then I before I started reading that I would. `The End of Faith' by Sam Harris is a much better read if you want a serious critique of organised religion. I cannot recommend it enough.
on 26 February 2014
The simple premise of a "description" of the contents of the "good book" beautifully illustrates the outdated, irrelevant and dangerous message contained therein.
The actual bible is practically and intellectually unreadable, this book brings home the simple truth that it is meant to be this way. You can,t argue against allegory and absence of substance.
As we drift into the next century we can only hope (and not pray) that more people get the message. Without it, our new `evil` is religion itself.
on 15 January 2010
How many books do you read and make excuses up for the books main characters failings? None probably. But the exceptions are. Any religious text. And the one needing the most excuses is the Bible. Because lets be honest. It's full of rape, child abuse and murder. I'd never let my kids read it (although it does have a talking donkey in it. But no Ogres unfortunately).

This book is really for those people who, love god. Why? Because he really does hate you. Or If he doesn't hate you. Then at the most It's showing a great deal of disinterest in your well being.
If you are a religionista, try reading your "holy" book. And use "God hates you.." as a guide. Look things up for yourself and make your own mind up.

CJ Werleman has written a funny and entertaining book about our greatest mistake. And I implore all those of a religious bent to read it (which you won't). He points out the parts people gloss over (or even worse), Try to justify the main characters actions.

What have you got to loose?

Well done CJ. Excellent book. I look forward to more.
88 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2016
Although I had not had the time to go through the bible (I refuse to use capitals) in such detail it has always been glaringly obvious to me that the "creation" is fictional. One very important point left out is that any life, animal or vegetable, that was created before the sun could not have survived as the temperature on earth would have been around absolute zero, which from memory is somewhere around -273c. To me this so called loving and compassionate god had to be the most vindictive cloud surfing bastard ever. Back to the book! The information about documentation of people, places and events that are only mentioned in the bible and written purely from hearsay, up to several thousand years after, was for me further proof the bible should be retitled "Suckers Book of Bulls***". The book is an absolute masterpiece and I am recommending as many people as possible buy it. Especially poor misguided "Believers".
on 9 January 2014
So badly written it's shocking. I honestly can't understand why this book got so many rave reviews. The humour is bad and clumsy, homophobic, sexist, trying too hard to be funny and falling way short, and the references are often obscure and only relevant to the writer. There's repetition all the way through, evidence of an extreme lack of good editing. It has all the hallmarks of being a self published book, written for Kindle but then badly converted as there's glitches all the way through too. The only plus is that he's done a load of research so I'll give him that.