5.0 out of 5 stars outrageously funny
Published on 27 Oct 2010 by Andrew Carruth

1.0 out of 5 stars As an atheist I do not like this book.
What could have been a scholarly destruction of the Bible is completely ruined by the authors use of swearing and crude language. I am not prudish AT ALL but I thought that the use of bad language completely destroyed the readability and impact of this book.

Published 2 months ago by Stephen Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars outrageously funny, 27 Oct 2010
I didn't know what to make of this book at first, but then I realised what I had in my hand was a powerful, emotive and explosive book written by a man who is clearly passionate about his subject, but more then that - the book was hilarious!! I would simply love to have someone like Billy Connolly read this book out loud and I'm sure it would bring the house down. Reading through the book I admit I actually did have a few LOL moments.

That being said, the book does have an undertone of all seriousness. Sure we can laugh at the faithful and their backward belief system, but as CJ points out there are plenty of people who revere this pith as the absolute truth! CJs no holds bar attack on this cult is justified and venerable.

So I can recommend this book to anyone who wants to equip themselves with some prime-time,anti-religious quotations. You are guaranteed to find something great inside this little gem.

1.0 out of 5 stars As an atheist I do not like this book., 16 Sep 2014
This review is from: God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of The Bible (Kindle Edition)

It seems that unless we have a running monologue about how stupid these Christians are and how they are such f***ing morons to believe all this hogwash then we can't discuss the subject. I got about 30 pages in and stopped reading.

I am a born again atheist. I do not believe in God, heaven or hell - at all. I thought that reading this book might help me in arguing with believers. A long time ago I studied Theology and hoped that this book would help refresh my mind about all of the many flaws in the bible. It did do so but any Christian reading it would just be able to point to how unpleasantly obnoxious it is. I suppose if you sift through it you can gain knowledge but I prefer Dawkins more polite writings.

I would like to see it rewritten without the bad language and the "nudge nudge wink wink" aren't they all complete w**kers for believing in this cr*p.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every school, every parent, every library needs this book., 2 Feb 2010
As a combination of wit, facts and careful biblical research this book is exceptional. Even the Introduction is screamingly funny merely by stating facts garnered from reputable sources. If these, from the Introduction, do not make you laugh you either have no sense of humour or you are a USA bible belt christian:

93% of American households own at least one copy of the bible known, despite its sadism, grotesque sex and a god with an insatiable appetite for flattery, as "The Good Book."

More than 50% of High School seniors think Sodom and Gomorrah are a married couple.

The same percentage of Americans don't know Genesis is the first book of the Bible.

More than 20% think Moses was one of Jesus' disciples.

And yet a recent Rasmussen poll found 44% of Americans believe in the literal truth of the bible. This means they believe a talking snake encouraged a woman to eat an apple; a 900 year old man built an Arc to replenish humanity. And that is only from the Introduction. The only caution I offer is that when you read the book you could do yourself an injury laughing. But you will learn more about the bible, more entertainingly and based on serious research than you could imagine. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars God lovers, 15 Jan 2010
N. Ramsay (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
How many books do you read and make excuses up for the books main characters failings? None probably. But the exceptions are. Any religious text. And the one needing the most excuses is the Bible. Because lets be honest. It's full of rape, child abuse and murder. I'd never let my kids read it (although it does have a talking donkey in it. But no Ogres unfortunately).

This book is really for those people who, love god. Why? Because he really does hate you. Or If he doesn't hate you. Then at the most It's showing a great deal of disinterest in your well being.
If you are a religionista, try reading your "holy" book. And use "God hates you.." as a guide. Look things up for yourself and make your own mind up.

CJ Werleman has written a funny and entertaining book about our greatest mistake. And I implore all those of a religious bent to read it (which you won't). He points out the parts people gloss over (or even worse), Try to justify the main characters actions.

What have you got to loose?

Well done CJ. Excellent book. I look forward to more.

5.0 out of 5 stars ah, freethought and honesty!, 6 May 2010
I loved this book to bits!

It's everything that 'Scriptural Criticism' should be - sassy, irreverent, funny and accurate.

If you are an atheist (as I am) you won't find anything new in this book as it hoists 'The Good Book' on its own petard. What you will find is a deliciously witty writing style. There are plenty of 'typos' and loads of poor grammar but that doesn't matter; even the finest leather has flaws in it.

The Bible can be attacked from many directions, of course, and C. J. Werleman doesn't approach his task with the profundity of a Stenger, Grayling or Berg. Not for this author the finer philosophical arguments.

Werleman examines the bare text as-it-stands and isn't incumbered by 'reverence', 'awe' or 'humility. This approach allows him to take the Bible at its word and challenge it on its own terms.

This book would be an ideal gift for the 'nominal' Christian in your life. You know, those folk who 'think' that they are C of E but who have never actually read the Bible.

Werleman's down-to-earth treatment of the bronze-age compendium of clap-trap that has shaped, ruined and cost so many lives is just the sort of thing that might succeed in getting the wishy-washy, cafeteria Christian types to admit that there is a great deal wrong with the foundation stone of their faith.

Well done C. J. and dangerous little books. More of the same, please

Barry

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad bad bad, 9 Jan 2014
A. R. Murray "book badger" (england) - See all my reviews
So badly written it's shocking. I honestly can't understand why this book got so many rave reviews. The humour is bad and clumsy, homophobic, sexist, trying too hard to be funny and falling way short, and the references are often obscure and only relevant to the writer. There's repetition all the way through, evidence of an extreme lack of good editing. It has all the hallmarks of being a self published book, written for Kindle but then badly converted as there's glitches all the way through too. The only plus is that he's done a load of research so I'll give him that.

5.0 out of 5 stars BIBLICAL INJUSTICES!!, 24 Sep 2011
C.J. Werleman lived in Indonesia for almost ten years. He witnessed the suicide bombing in Bali, so is only too aware of the dangers of fundamental religion. He has studied the sixty-six books of the bible and exposes its wickedness. The bible is perceived by Christians to be the inspired word of the 'one and only true god'. Werleman pays particular emphasis to God's killings in the bible. Yes that's right God's killings in the bible all 31,749,592 of them. It's a cert that not too many people will believe that but it's right according to whether one believes the bible or not. The author has given an indepth insight into the actions of the god of the bible and it most certainly does not fit with the image of a loving and forgiving god as depicted by Christians. In fact the biblical god demands absolute obedience and adoration If he doesn't receive it, then the result will be mass killings. Werleman illustrates how indiscriminate god is when it comes to killing women and innocent children is immaterial to the biblical god. He is totally bereft of morality and justice. Werleman does not use outside influences or academics to prove god's character the evidence is provided in the bible itself. This book needs to be read by young people before older generations brainwash them into believing the bible to be 'the book' to base one's morality. For example, Sunday school teachers or ministers will never teach the bible in its entirety to young impressionable minds. It is a book which shows how the biblical god is jealous and will advocate suffering and murder for his own advantage. Is it not strange that many Christians will have no problem with their God and his killings, yet they abhore the killings committed by human beings? This appears selective and hypocritical to me? However what would I know?
In writing this book Werleman is keen to emphasise that he is not trying to disprove the existence of god. However, it should motivate one to think if he does exist what type of horrible being is he? Well done C.J. Werleman!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Childishly undermines his own 'message', 19 Nov 2013
Just a few pages in and already i'm dissapointed and bored. The bible is ripe for ridiculing and in my opinion deserves to be. I'd hoped this would be a fascinating read. Unfortunately the authors ego and immature 'sense of humour' spoils it very quickly. Being childishly sarcastic about something(religion) that has brought the most sadness and evil to the human race simply undernines the message he's trying to get across.

1.0 out of 5 stars this book is juvenile, there are much better books written on this subject, 17 Jun 2014
I disliked the authors writing style and simplistic analysis. If you are interested in this subject then I would recommend: the Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment !, 11 Aug 2014
Do not waste your money on this garbage. This foul mouthed author appears to be totally ignorant of the fact that many of the myths, especially in the book of Genesis,are of great antiquity. Their origins are to be found in the great civilizations of Mesopotamia and Egypt.
There are many errors.
I am amazed that any Publisher was prepared to inflict this book on the public.