4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Leica by Minox
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by David

3.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE NOSTALGIA FOR A BIG PRICE
I bought this out of a sense of nostalgia for the superb 1950s Leicas, and cheap Russian copies, and with respect for Minox' reputation as a manufacturer of high quality miniature cameras. In my opinion, however, this is only a partially functioning miniature model, or a toy - not a fully operational digital camera.

The sensitivity to light is very low. It is...
Published on 18 April 2011 by J. D. Cheeseright

3.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE NOSTALGIA FOR A BIG PRICE, 18 April 2011
J. D. Cheeseright "Kinggama" (East Molesey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minox DCC 5.1 - Digital Classic Camera (Electronics)

The sensitivity to light is very low. It is like having a 25 ASA Kodachrome film in your camera when you should have something rated at 400ASA. This means it will only produce good images in bright lighting conditions.

The viewing screen is very dim and difficult to see in bright light. In that case you have to resort to the supplied optical viewfinder, which of course gives parallax problems at close range.

The battery when fully charged only lasted for about seventy shots before giving a warning of low charge. I do not know how many more shots I could have taken before it expired, but you do have to do this via a computer with a USB connection, unless you have a spare battery and charger.

The diagram in the user's manual, which is intended to illustrate how to insert an optional SD card, was not clear to me. Having inserted the SD card in what I thought was the correct manner it became stuck and would not register. I had to remove it using a combination of needle-nosed pliers and a jeweler's screwdriver, which put me in fear of damaging the interior of the camera. However, I did manage to extract it an after I had inserted it the correct way round, I discovered that I was in possession of a tiny camera which would take over 4,800 pictures!

If you are prepared to accept this for what it is - an elaborate toy - and take on board that you will probably have to tweak your results in iPhoto or similar photo processing program, then good luck, this will give you some fun. But you could spend the same amount and get a more than adequate digital camera. Certainly modern mobile phones now take better pictures. Personally I wish that I had spent the additional £160 and bought the gold version, which my wife could wear as jewelry and not expect to take photos with it.

I have written a separate review of the flashlight accessory.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea. Poor execution, 30 July 2011
This review is from: Minox DCC 5.1 - Digital Classic Camera (Electronics)
Sadly I have to say DON'T DO IT, to anyone who wants to consider this as a usable camera rather than a pretty ornament.

The camera and the expensive additional flash both look beautiful, but the image quality is consistently poor and the light metering is inconsistent. The flash fails to fire in all but total darkness.

In addition there is only limited ability to adjust image quality, the menu and switching logic is poor and the handbook is universally useless in several different languages.

A big disappointment and I fear a sad reflection on Minox.

3.0 out of 5 stars Minox 5.1 mp Digital Camera, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Minox DCC 5.1 - Digital Classic Camera (Electronics)
I have had mother cameras from minox and sadly I have to say that even though this has more Megapixels and a larger screen on the rear of the camera, the picture quality was not good.
The pin sharp detail I have had with other minox cameras is lacking in this model.
The edges got more blurry as you get closer to the edge of the frame.
Nice looking but not all that. In my humble opinion.
Does look good as an ornament though.
Expensive ornament !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Leica by Minox, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Minox DCC 5.1 - Digital Classic Camera (Electronics)
I bought this for my daughter, who is 4 years 6 months old. The camera is very simple and she can switch it on and run around taking photographs of the dog, her dolls etc. Sometimes they are not framed properly and there is not enough light but it is not complicated and she is learning that she needs light, to frame her subject and hold the camera still, some good basics. I know I could have bought something much better with the money but she wanted a camera like her Dad's Leica, so it fits the bill. It does exactly what I wanted it to, at a price which I was willing to pay. On the physical side, the construction is fine, if a little 'plasticky' but this makes it very light and all of the functional parts of the camera work well. If I wanted good photographs I would by something else and if I wanted a Leica M3 I would save and buy a real one; these were not in my scope of thought in this purchase and I am happy with it on my terms only.

1.0 out of 5 stars A replica Leica? No., 10 May 2012
This review is from: Minox DCC 5.1 - Digital Classic Camera (Electronics)
I don't believe this product is actually being marketed as a Leica, buyers assume it is as it has a certain likeness to the great M3. Purely for collectors, especially Leica lovers, or even if you are not and aspire to an M3 but simply can't afford one, this is not the model to get. Some years ago Minox did actually market a 4mp Leica M3 lookalike and it really is an M3 in miniature. Only the lens barrel lets it down slightly, but the body captures the essence of the real thing admirably. Sat next to my M3 the pair do make for an interesting image.

And just like the real thing, the M3 look-a-like records up to 40 images, the same as the counter on the M3.

But to be brutally honest, unless you value the homage to the original M3, and for this you do need the older model, image quality leaves a lot to be desired and you'd you do much better saving some money and buying a decent little compact that will perform much better.

Minox DCC 5.1 - Digital Classic Camera