5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Published on 23 April 2010 by BR

3.0 out of 5 stars The dark side of Thomas
I picked this DVD for my grandchildren to replace worn-out DVDs about Thomas. But all the stories are very dark ones - showing Thomas and his friends in quite a bad light. I shall be buying a different one and 'losing' this one.
Published on 10 April 2011 by teachersue

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 April 2010
BR "BR" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is absolutely excellent. It contains 20 episodes and covers an episode from each of the 13 series. The only thing that is inaccurate is that it says on the 'description' on this page that all the episodes are narrated by Ringo Starr but only three are. That really doesn't matter because Michael Angelis is a superb narrator. The episodes from the first and second series are restored and the rest are in widescreen.

Episodes are:
17. Duncan Does it All
18. Thomas and the Spaceship
19. Heave Ho Thomas!
20. Steamy Sodor

The thing that I love about this DVD is that it tells the story of the series from Thomas and Gordon (the first episode) to the new CGI animation and the voice actors in Season 13. Also, this really is the BEST OF THOMAS and there are very few episodes I would change. Also the runtime is excellent value for money unlike the usual Thomas DVDs nowadays that only last 40mins.

In summary - this is a must have DVD for any Thomas fan, young or old! You won't regret your purchase of this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuffing great!, 11 May 2011
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
As a kid I loved Thomas the Tank Engine, and now as a daddy I love the fact that two of my three children also love it. This DVD contains episodes which span the full TV history of Thomas and as my kids watch and enjoy the episodes I get a good pang of nostalgia as I hear Ringo Starr narrating some of the earlier episodes.

This DVD contains twenty episodes and starts from the very beginning with the very first episode of Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends - "Thomas and Gordon" (and I actually remember it!). The episodes are shown in chronological order and it's interesting to see how the series have changed over time. More characters have been introduced, Ringo Starr passed the narrator baton onto Michael Angelis, episode durations have altered, and perhaps most obvious: as technology has progressed the series became filmed in widescreen and is now fully CGI. The move to CGI was an evolutionary one and in later episodes you can see some CGI elements such as smoke and moving faces - and by the last few episodes the series is fully CGI.

Personally I think it's a shame as using models gave the series a certain charm, it certainly didn't look poor and it also gave children the chance to believe that they could do the same with their model trains. I was always against the idea of Thomas being fully computer generated and although I prefer the traditionally animated series I have to say that the new episodes still manage to capture the spirit of Thomas and Friends and the computer effects have been done very well.

At two and a half hours in duration this is clearly excellent value for money, although I love the Thomas theme tunes they do tend to grate a bit when they seem to be playing every few minutes - they tire my son out though as he insists on dancing to it every time! The DVD does contain an advert for Thomas Land at the beginning which can be a bit annoying when all you want to do is start the episodes playing, the picture quality of the advert is poor too and it looks more like a video taken from YouTube! Thankfully though the picture quality of the actual episodes are good, the older ones are a bit grainy but it's nothing you don't expect.

In a nutshell: If you have Thomas DVDs already then chances are you'll already have some of these episodes - however, if you don't own any then this is a great addition to any child's DVD collection as it brings to your telly the magic of Thomas from the mid-eighties through to the present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 30 Jan 2014
H. BARNES - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
After one day entertaining my grandson with seemingly endless episodes I felt that I had already got my monies worth. I enjoyed seeing the old versions with Ringo, watched so avidly by my son in the 90's and quickly adapted to the later ones that are more politically correct.

The only annoying thing is I found myself singing the theme tune whilst trundling my trolley around the supermarket aisles this evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thomas Tank Engine DVD, 13 May 2010
J. Carvell "Crystal Angel" (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
This item was purchased for my son who loves Thomasthe Tank Engine.
This is a special anniversary dvd so it's nice to add it to his collection. We watched the dvd together and both enjoyed it. Very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars great collection of thomas stories, 6 Jan 2011
K. D. Kane (n ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
This dvd was a great buy having kept my 18 month old occupied for hours. The only negative aspect is that although the stories are short, the thomas theme tune plays at the beginning of each episode thus it can grate on your nerves a little. overall great value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars All the best episodes, 14 Sep 2010
K. Andrews (Derby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
My son loves watching this DVD over and over again. It has many classic episodes, which he has read in the modern paperback versions of the series. It's also a nice souvenir to have of Thomas's 65th birthday year.

3.0 out of 5 stars The dark side of Thomas, 10 April 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Thomas, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
A good buy for any Thomas fans.Hours of entertainment and a good selection of stories.I would recommend this item to others

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
My son loves Thomas so we got him this DVD for when we travel long distances and he loves it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant range of epidodes, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] (DVD)
Great DVD that my nearly four year old loves. Full of good episodes from early on ones to present with moving and talking faces. Whats not to love about Thomas. The menu is set out well and easy to follow to find the individual episode you want to watch

Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD]
Thomas & Friends - The Best of Thomas [DVD] by Greg Tiernan (DVD - 2010)
3.00