5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness it has arrived
My 5 year old has been wanting to see this (having missed it at the cinema) for months, since last year in fact.
It is great fun, the story is exciting and has humour and I love the realism of the clouds in the sky.

Published on 15 April 2010 by Helpless

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good ....
I bought this for my 2 year old son who loves Fireman Sam but we haven't managed to get to the end of the film yet as its an hour long and my son doesn't have the attention span to watch it all yet but so far its very enjoyable but very much more animated than what we are used to watching on the TV.

If you have a Fireman Sam fan def worth buying it.
Published on 8 May 2010 by Gemma Dewdrop

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness it has arrived, 15 April 2010
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fireman Sam - The Great Fire Of Pontypandy [DVD] [2010] (DVD)

The stormy night on the lighthouse, the forest fire and Elvis winning his first bravery medal! I never knew that Station Officer Steele had newspaper cuttings of his bravery award. he is a real quiet hero.

If you are a Fireman Sam fan this is one that you will not want to miss.
An hour of fun. Adults and children will want to be Firemen. (Firefighters as we should refer to them now!)
Where's that application form?

5.0 out of 5 stars fireman Sam - always a winner!, 9 Sep 2010
J. Arnold "bookworm" (Essex) - See all my reviews
This kept us going on a long drive through France - and anything that entralls a 2 and 4 year old boy in the back of the car is good by me!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 year old love love loved it, 12 Mar 2010
We watched this on cartoonito when it was on and its a lovely film!! My two year old little boy was able to fully engage in the story as although it is feature length its not over complicated for the little people.
If your kids are in to fireman Sam I can't recommend it strongly enough

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fires of London! Err, no, Pontypandy!, 7 Mar 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Fireman Sam has been offered a huge promotion.. to go and be Station Officer in Newtown's fire station, but that means leaving behind all his friends in Pontypandy. However, before he makes the decision, there are more urgent matters to attend to! Trevor has taken Norman, his cousin Derek, and Dilys camping into the forest as the Pontypandy Pioneers, but as usual, Norman can't do as he's told. He starts a small campfire with Derek but soon abandons it, leaving the fire unattended which then spreads quickly to a forest fire. Is the fire going to prove too much for Sam and his fellow firefighters to put out, and will they have to leave behind their beloved Pontypandy once and for all?

I have to say straight off, I think it is a great movie for children, and especially if they are big Fireman Sam fans like Harry as well. It features all of the characters that we know and love, from all the firefighters, to the residents of Pontypandy such as Dilys, Trevor and the Flood family, but also introduces a new one in the form of Chief Fire Officer Boyce, the man who comes to poach Fireman Sam away from Pontypandy! He's a good character, and fits in nicely into the film which is good, and Harry liked him too which is good.

The animation is really good. As I said, I am still a massive fan of the classic series I used to watch when I was little, and the middle series isn't too bad either, but the computer animation is so different to either of these. Sam's voice is very different to the previous shows, but as I say, children don't seem too bothered by the change and I don't think Harry has ever mentioned noticing much of a difference between the few versions out there. The animation in this film is really clear, the characters are required to do a lot of movement in this film and the movement is seamless, and the fire itself is well animated as well.

The story moves at a good pace. Obviously, because it is a film aimed at children, events happen fairly slowly, and things unravel at a good speed, enough for a child to keep up and understand what is going on, without flooding them with too much action all at once. Harry seemed to grasp the plot very well, only occasionally asking me a questions such as "who is Chief Fire Officer Boyce" and "what's a promotion" so the film does prompt a few good questions. We also sat and talked about fires and forests afterwards, and I think it's a good thing to talk to children about and make them aware of the dangers.

For a children's movie, I found this quite entertaining as well so while it certainly appeals to its core market of around 3-7 years, an adult can sit and be entertained while this is on as well. Yes, after around 20 viewings the magic is wearing off for me but Harry is happy to watch it again and again, the sign of a well thought out and created film to keep his interest over and over! It's an exciting story that keeps children gripped until the end, the action is present all the way through and it is thoroughly entertaining. I think this would make a great Christmas present for any Fireman Sam fan, and I'm pleased they've made a movie out of such a popular character. Finally, as with all Fireman Sam cartoons, it has a good moral at the heart of it, and that's important too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fire - Great film, 16 Aug 2010
Sally Strugnell (New Forest England) - See all my reviews
Very good film which my children loved, & they also learnt the fire safety message that it contained without even realising. Good value for money & great entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars We know it off by heart!, 3 Jun 2010
C. Folan "Toddler mum" (London) - See all my reviews
My 2.5 year old son is Fireman Sam crazy so I bought him this DVD after we saw the film at the cinema.

Let's just say 'obsessed' is not the word. I now have a limit of twice a day (once in morning, once in evening), which I know at an hour long per session is too much for a toddler.

However, he adores the film, it keeps him entranced and it means I can get a shower, make dinner etc or even (amazingly) read a bit of a book. So, if your child likes Fireman Sam, this is a winner. The story has no violence and considering I must have now seen it about 50 times, I am not tearing my hair out - yet. Worth every penny in my eyes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fireman Sam a hero!, 2 Jun 2010
Fireman Sam and the great fire of pontypandy is another fantastic story for children of all ages to enjoy together.The only dissapointing thing about the DVD is thats all there is the one film , no other episodes.My children loved this and i would recommend it , the safety message comes across with lots of laughs aswell.Thumbs up !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, 18 May 2010
C. Quin - See all my reviews
Bought it for my 6 year old grandson who is a Fireman Sam fan. He just loves it and has watched it more than 10 times. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars great new adventure for fireman sam, 13 May 2010
My twin 2 year old boys love fireman sam and I was sick of having to watch repeats every day so when I saw this I got it straight away.
It's an hour long and a great story in which fireman sam gets a medal then gets offered a new job as a station officer. As he is thinking about it norman price starts a forest fire while on a camping trip with the pontypandy pioneers and the fire soon gets out of control so much so everyone has to evacuate the town.
As they are boarding a boat to evacuate a storm comes and puts the fire out straight away which is obviously unbelievable but doesn't take away anything from the story. After all this sam turns down the new job and it ends with elvis getting a medal for his bravery during the fire.
It is a lovely story and my boys wont look away from the tv while its on so now i'm looking forward to the next story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam is the hero next door!, 23 April 2010
Bought this for my 2 and a half year old. We sat and watched it for the whole hour. If you've got a little one who loves Fireman Sam then they won't be disappointed. I will just add that there is a lot more talk in this one because it's a movie so you do have to wait a while for the big action.

Fireman Sam - The Great Fire Of Pontypandy [DVD] [2010]