5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
First I must state that I am not someone who would describe themselves as a Stephen King fan. I've read a fair few of his books, some of which I've quite enjoyed and some of which I struggle to remember, but "The Stand" is one of my all time favourite books. I bought the unexpurgated version recently to re-read, after a gap of about ten years, and was as lost in it this...
Published on 4 April 2009 by R. Griffiths

2.0 out of 5 stars [Review of Kindle Version only]
Please note, as stated in the title, this is a review of the Kindle version only, and not the story itself.

At the time I purchased this kindle version of the popular Stephen King story, it cost me around 6.50, more than the paperback. This was the price apparently set by the publishers for a reason that can never be justifiable and defeats the whole...
Published on 7 Jan 2011 by Think

‹ Previous | 130 31 32 33 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, 21 Mar 2013
W. Goring "Will G" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stand (Paperback)
This book is way too long. The beginning was pretty gripping stuff, then it started meandering somewhere around the middle, and I just gave up and left it at the 60% point. I have read other SK novels and found them completely absorbing, but not this one unfortunately.

2.0 out of 5 stars STANDING UP BUT SITTING DOWN, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Stand (Kindle Edition)
He may have thousands of fans out there, but how many of them have read this long-winded dirge? It begins promisingly but gradually descends into an hotch-potch of inconsequential episodes. Admittedly some of them keep the reader interested and on edge, but they go nowhere.

I think you would only read this book if it was the last one on the shelf - and then only maybe.

4.0 out of 5 stars (:, 15 April 2011
It arrived very quickly and in the condition described, but with another dust jacket than on the picture. I still like it though; the pages look very beautiful and I can't wait to reread this book in this edition :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands the test of time, 30 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Stand (Paperback)
The Stand

One of the greatest! I would love to read it again, but I don't have half a year to spare!!

READ IT NOW

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stand by Stephen King, 22 Oct 2004
This book really puts into perspective how careless the human race can be! A fatal virus kills of most of the world, leaving the remainding few split on two sides, one good - lead by a 108 year old woman - and the other evil. I love this book to bits! You find yourself actually missing characters when they're gone (like Nick Andros) and wishing there was more to it when you've finished. There could never be a sequel, not enough ground left for one. The ending wasn't perfect but it was intruiging and it leaves the reader to their personal decision on what could happen next. I love Tom Cullen and Nick, and I could identify with Frannie on certain levels. There's something (or someone) for everyone in The Stand, I recommend it to anyone who can get themselves to read such a big book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Has a beginning, a middle, but a shame about the end!!!, 9 April 2001
By A Customer
I love reading Stephen King, but this book like others I've read of King's takes you on a journey, you relate to the characters, you care for them, and then for some reason the finale just springs up and your left thinking.....was that it!!! (rose madder, bag of bones are others I feel Stephen King has almost got bored writing and just ended).
But you have to admire the scale of destruction to human civilisation, and the struggle of survivors to rebuild and re-create their lives. Told brilliantly in King's writing style.
The Dead Zone, Green Mile and Insomnia are my favourites, as the endings seem tighter. I'll continue reading his books just hoping that I don't feel cheated at the end, but The Stand makes me feel like I've travelled a beautiful journey only to realise that I've arrived in Telford, UK!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A great book - until the end!, 27 Nov 2005
I have to admit, I have only read two Stephen King books, "The Stand" and "Rose Madder", both of which I felt were fantastic books until it came to the ending. The Stand is a fantastic story and brilliantly written, I just felt let down by the ending. It feels like King couldn't be bothered with it any more and just wanted to get it finished. It is a shame because the build up is so good yet the final confrontation that the reader has been anticipating for so long is very disappointing.
I will read more Stephen King books as I think his stories are fantastic and I really like his sytle of writing - I'm just waiting for an ending that is worthy of the rest of the book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of my favourites, 23 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I read the new uncut version of "The Stand", and found it to be over-long and not very interesting or entertaining. I was quite relieved when I eventually finished it! It did have some interesting moments, but definitely does not live up to the hype. If you're looking for an enjoyable and lengthy King read I suggest "It" which is far superior!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pedestrian Apocalypse, 1 Nov 2001
By A Customer
Not the great novel everybody is raving about. Not a bad novel, by far, but certainly not a classic. It is far too long, which would usually be fine for a King book, but he does not fill the length with anything interesting. In my opinion most of the characters are boring, barely personages or cliches, except for Tom Cullen and Nick Andros. That is the main problem in The Stand: King is best at creating quirky, secretive characters with hidden pasts and talents. What we have here is a band of everymen and women who have survived a holocaust for whatever reason (nobody knows) and who are supposed to do battle with a highly undeveloped Dark Man.
Randall Flagg was made to look like a babbling psychopath which was a shame because he had so much more potential. And the fact that the citizens of New Boulder didn't even get to see the Walking Dude was very underwhelming. I was hoping for a non-stop, dirty, gory battle that ended with an unexpected twist. Instead I got... well, you read it and find out how unsatisfying the ending is.
Good, Mr King, but no cigar. If you are looking for a class act epic with great characters, plot, subplots and action, action, action all tied together with an underlying unease that should thread through all good horror books, try It. By far the best thing he has written.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's your average King novel - that's all...., 28 Feb 2011
People on here giving it 5 stars and saying it's his best book ever that must be reread etcetc are clearly massive fans of the work of Stephen King.
So if you like Stephen King, then this is your Hamlet/Ulysses/Angela's Ashes (you get what I mean by now?).

But if you're like me, and think King is merely an ok writer than that's what this is-just ok. It has all his annoying hallmarks, infantile and simplistic characters, both in their actions and the two dismensional way they act (good/evil-nothing in between).
There's his maddeningly lengthy way of getting to the point-why say it in a page when you can stretch it to 4?
There's his obsession with the innocence of children (or in this case, Tom Cullen, who is mentally retarded with the mind of a child. Hey, his words not mine).

But the overall plot is good, and at 1400 pages (for the expanded version) it's good value, take it as a holiday book or something.
But a work of genius it ain't. It's your standard Stephen King book, no more and no less, and don't let his fans tell you otherwise!

‹ Previous | 130 31 32 33 | Next ›