5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 12 July 2011 by Lian01

2.0 out of 5 stars [Review of Kindle Version only]
Please note, as stated in the title, this is a review of the Kindle version only, and not the story itself.

At the time I purchased this kindle version of the popular Stephen King story, it cost me around £6.50, more than the paperback. This was the price apparently set by the publishers for a reason that can never be justifiable and defeats the whole...
Published on 7 Jan 2011 by Think

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 July 2011
This review is from: The Stand (Paperback)
If (like me) you're a Stephen King newbie, I would highly recommend this book. I've only been reading his books for the last few months and this is a must read. You don't need to be a King fan to appreciate this book, you just need to have an open mind and a love of reading. The book may be long but if you're anything like me you'll find yourself wishing it was longer and thinking about it long after you've finished. If it was shorter you wouldn't feel as drawn in to the story, at no point does it get boring or feel like chapters could have been cut without affecting the story.
I loved this book. It makes you question everything from religion to how you'd survive being one of the few people left on earth! If you love reading just give this book a chance.

I have never written a review for a book (as you can probably tell!) but I enjoyed this book so much I thought I'd recommend it to as many people as possible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 4 April 2009
R. Griffiths (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stand (Paperback)
First I must state that I am not someone who would describe themselves as a Stephen King fan. I've read a fair few of his books, some of which I've quite enjoyed and some of which I struggle to remember, but "The Stand" is one of my all time favourite books. I bought the unexpurgated version recently to re-read, after a gap of about ten years, and was as lost in it this time as I was the first time I read it.

Yes, as a couple of reviewers have pointed out, of course you could tell the story in a book half, or even a quarter, of the size but I for one would have felt very cheated. The story is not complicated. It begins with a plague and moves towards a final showdown between, effectively, good and evil and perhaps that could be seen as overly simplistic. The characters, however, are so well drawn that you feel you know who they are and want to know, in detail, how the whole thing plays out. The pace is good, even for such a large book, and the more meditative sequences do not detract from this at all.

Some of the characters are exceptionally good: Nick Andros, the deaf mute, and Tom Cullen for example and Harold Lauder is very finely drawn as a man who finds himself thwarted by life and love and tempted to the darker side. Despite it's somewhat exalted overtones at points, there is a sense of reality to the book which manages to keep it grounded. At times King's writing almost seems poetical, something I never thought I would write in the same sentence as "Stephen King" because I frequently find his real-life character conversations to be rather stilted and pedestrian, unlike his more dreamy sequences.

I imagine for a great many SK fans this could well be their favourite of his. And that an awful lot of others think it's a fair few pages too far and totally up its own backside. I think you should find out for yourself. If you're not sucked in at the end of the first quarter of the book then you never will be but if you are then you're in for a real treat. Read and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have to review this, 30 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Stand (Paperback)
I have never reviewed on Amazon, but I feel I should do when it comes the book The Stand. My review is not about what the book is about, there are enough reviews on that, my review is getting across how a book that may look like totally the opposite of your tastes could in fact become your favourite...Ok...I have never really been into far fetched books, paranormal, etc. but I did read a Stephen King Novel, The Long Walk and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. So, I next bought The Stand.

I have got to admit that after a few chapters I was kind of wondering if to give up or not. I just wasn't getting into the characters and the long bios of their past I did not care too much for. But I persevered and all of a sudden things changed! Whether this is a typical 'Stephen King way' I do not know as have only read one previous book of his. But I was taken by storm, all of a sudden, things got really interesting, the characters I suddenly felt I wanted to know more of what was to come of them, the situation that all were in became more interesting, more intense. I cannot exactly say when it was in the story, but it just kind of clicked!

I have still not finished the book but only have a short way to go and am so much wanting to know whom, where, what, etc. I tend to read in bed at night and whether this sounds sad or not, but I actually look foward to climbing into bed and getting back into the story to find out what happens next!!

Normally with books it gets towards the end and I beat myself up for trying to rush it. But I actually do not want to rush this, I want to savour every sentance, every moment, every twist and turn. I still cannot even guess what the ending will bring.

The Stand is a book I know I will never be able to forget and am sure the characters will stay with me for a long time after I have finished reading.

I want to advise anyone who goes to buy this book, NOT to give up, it is a very long and detailed start, but it all is needed I feel, to care about the characters to see how life has changed for them so much.
I am not into Supernatural stories, and yes this does have them essense, but the story is so much more than that, it delves into how people cope when such a disaster happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Trips and the Wrath of God, 13 Jan 1998
By A Customer
"The Stand" is a blend of science fiction/fantasy; the classic 'End of the World' type novel except with a twist as only Stephen King can tell it. A superflu, called Captain Trips, is let loose upon an unsuspecting world by an underground secret lab worker who escapes carrying the virus. Millions die from the virus leaving only a few hundred left to face a diabolical evil in the badlands of Nevada. I have read this book several times and each time I find something new in it. One of the reasons I like this book is that it starts out in a little dust ridden blip of a town in Texas. Being a Texan, I believe Stephen King has visited our fair state since he described that town so well...even down to the run down dusty gas station. If you have never read Stephen King, then I would receommend starting with "The Stand." I believe it is the best book he has ever written. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A superb book that you won't forget in a hurry, 6 Jan 2009
This book is amazing, and if you haven't read it you'll find the 'theme' is quite topical - thinking about BBC's Survivors, Avian Flu etc etc! I would agree with the other reviewers who point out that this isn't a horror story, in spite of the fact most of humanity is wiped out.

At the start of the book, a virus is unleashed with a 99.9% kill rate. The story is about the handful of people left behind, and their struggle to adapt to life after the virus without the comforts of family and society. I especially liked the fact that the survivors are a mixture of the good, the bad and the ugly. The 'facts' of life post-virus are dealt with thoroughly and convincingly.

The story is also about the battle between good and evil - represented by two characters in particular. There is a supernatural element to the book, but it's more symbolic - about the battle between good and evil in every human being, and the choices we all have to make, especially when it seems the other side is stronger.

The book is long, no doubt about it, and be aware that this is the unabridged version. There were a couple of parts that dragged for me, but only because I was so engrossed in the other characters that I didn't want to read 50 pages about The Kid or Trash Can Man - no doubt other readers loved those two characters! King himself admits that some readers will find it too long and self-indulgent, and may be better sticking to the abridged version. But this is the first and only version I read, and I'm glad I did. It's a beautiful book in many ways and a book that you won't forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mastersterful example of Stephen Kings talent, 4 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Stand (Paperback)
My first stephen king book I read was IT and I thought it was brilliant and so when I was told that the Stand was even better I didnt belive it could be true, and in fact put of reading it in case I was dissapointed. And when I did read it I can say for sure that I wasnt.

The first part of the book deals with some sort of accident at a army facility and a lethal virus is relased which soon spreads all over America wiping out most of the population. But then the story takes a strange turn, the survivours begin dreaming about two different people one being "mother abigale" and the other being "the dark man" and soon the surviovurs realise that the battle for their survival has only just began.

Now some people may be daunted with reading this book seeing as quite simply it is massive. At over 1400 pages it is the biggest book i have ever read. However I can truthfully say that none of it was boring, Stephen King is a natural story teller with a gift of being able to keep the reader hooked to the book and always wanting to know what is going to happen next. He also masterfully manage to keep the reader in suspense of the outcome of the book, no matter what you think is going to happen I can easily predict that you will not guess the out come of the story.

King also managed to get a message across to the reader, about religion and worship. Who should you chose to worship in a time of crisis and what happens if the person you choose to worship turns out to be something you are terrifried of.

If you are a fan of Stephen King and you havent read this book then you are missing out and even if you are not a fan of Stephen King I still suggest you give it a try.

This book is simply BRILLIANT but make sure you get get the uncut version other wise you are missing out on over 700 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stephen King novel to read and re-read, 11 Feb 2007
Mr. S. W. Steel "stephensteel" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a great book in my opinion and shows Stephen King at the peak of his powers.

I remember trying to read this book when i was quite young and i never really enjoyed it.It sat in my collection until a couple of years ago and then i read it at a rate of knots!

The basic plot, is that a super-virus is accidentally unleashed on the public.Nearly all of the population is wiped out, and the few remaining survivors are drawn to two people they dream about.Flagg is one.Mother Abigail is the other.The story shows how people survived the outbreak, then begin to reform society and then decide how to fight against the evil Flagg.

That is it in a nutshell - without spoiling anything too much.

There are characters in here aplenty.Ones that you identify with, ones you dislike; but all of them grip you.The way King writes about these characters is excellent - you HAVE to know what is going to happen to them.And they are so well developed that you almost know what they are going to do before they do it! My own personal favourite character is Larry.He changes throughout the book and is the one who you really feel has an internal struggle about what he is doing - he constantly questions his own worth and morality and it is really insightful of Stephen King to do this.

The plot is excellent, and moves well.It does lull in the middle a bit, but this is the is the quiet before the storm, as the final section of the book moves on at a rip-roaring pace.Considering ths book is so long it is amazing how it holds your attention all the way to the last page.

This book is about good and evil and mixes the morality up well, by not making every decision so black and white.People do make mistakes, and people do deserve a second chance and you get to see quite a few sub-plots where these possibilities are played out.And you do get the voice in your head saying ' If only 'x' had done this, then they would have been okay......'.The book really involves you in so many ways, that most books don't.It has depth and it has meaning on one level.And on another it has a cracking plot!

Some people who have reviewed this book didn't enjoy it for various reasons.The two main reasons for this were a/ the length and b/ the ending.

In my view the length is just about right.The topics and characters the book covers justify the length.I don't read this book and think that Stephen King could have editted it down much more, without missing out some important sequences and developments.Second is the ending.And i can understand why people are disappointed by this.My challenge to someone reading this book would be to come up with a better one - I dare you!Alternative endings to the one Stephen King has written do feel cliched!

I would recommend this book to almost everyone.It has everything a good book should have - great plot, great characters, great development and great pacing.Another great aspect of this book is that you are left wanting more!

I would put this in my top 5 Stephen King books, and this is the book that most of his readers vote as their favourite.Why not try this and see for yourself ?

BRILLIANT READ - BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, tragic, haunting, romantic, terrifying..., 26 Nov 2000
This book has it all. Never have I read something that has captured me to the extent of The Stand. It tells of a scenerio we can all vividly picture. A lonely world where mankind is close to extinct, while the cities and machines are left to gather dust and remind survivors of a world lost through the mistakes of man.
This truly is the epic of all epics, and I assure those who are intimidated by the length to not be. You'll be captured by the story before you know it. The characters are so diverse and unique that it's impossible not to relate to them. My personal favourite had to be Larry Underwood, the drugged up rock-star whose life undergoes some extreme changes as the story progresses.
There are moments in the book that will bring a tear to your eye, there are moment that will leave you terrified. However, in my opinion this isn't a horror story, but instead a tragedy that tells of courage, hope and faith.
This is definitely the greatest book by Stephen King, and really makes me want to forget I read it so I can experience it all for the first time again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read - an honest review, 25 Feb 2007
Mr. M. J. Underwood (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I'm somewhat of a new Stephen King fan and so tackling a book of this size was a bit daunting but I did it and throughly enjoyed it. It is long and is tiring in places but the story is worth it.

After I had read it I couldn't help but think about what he could have done differently in the story and what the different characters could have done. Then I realised how good the book was because I knew the characters inside-out and I was completely submerged in the plot.

This book is worth bearing with because it is a true masterpiece. If you read this book the whole way through I guarantee you will have a place in your heart for Frannie, Nick Andros, Larry Underwood and a certain dog for a long, long time.

Forget the poor reviews that slate the book, they are probably made by failed authors who are consumed with envy. The book litterally made me drop my jaw at points and really grabbed a hold of me.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you could only read one book in your life, read The Stand, 28 Dec 1997
By A Customer
Words can not describe how engrossing, fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable this book is. It is a masterpiece. A long read, yes, but you just don't want it to end. A lot of characters, yes, but all the better. My husband and I were driving from British Columbia, Candada to Arizona and back and I picked up The Stand in a convenience store at the start of the trip, being a King fan and this being one I hadn't read. Three pages into it it was so good I started reading it aloud to my husband. I read it to him all the 1600 miles down to Arizona and all the 1600 miles back to Canada, reading with the light of a flashlight at night even, as he drove, even as my voice became hoarser and hoaser. I've since read the book many times...it's just so good. One of the most engrossing books you'll ever read.

The Stand