Published on 8 Oct 2010 by Richard

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever pack but it does have it's issues
I have had two of these backpacks in the last few years (replaced twice by Berghaus) - their warranty is excellent!

As others have said the pack has lots of clever compartments, wheeled and backpack and generally built to an OK standard.

However if you plan to use the wheels on this pack, you will start to have problems

1) The fabric...
Published 15 months ago by Matt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pack - but the wheels are more trouble than they're worth, 8 Oct 2010
Richard (Twickenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Jalan 70+15 Men's Travel Backpack with Daysack - Black/Thunder, 85L (Sports)
This backpack is really nice to own. Everything about it seems very high quality and I expect it will last me for many years - although I am only an occasional backpacker. The small day pack can be attached to the back of the main backpack as you can see in the picture; or if you prefer when wearing the main backpack it can be cliped on to your front which is my preference as it acts as a counter-balance - this is a nice feature.
I thought as the pack had wheels on the bottom that it would be as easy to pull behind me as a normal suitcase with wheels. Unfortunately this is not the case. It tends to be top heavy and so tips over very easily. A lot of the weight in the pack tends to be taken by your arm as you pull it along - this happens less on cases with an extending handle. Also, the pack tends to trail too close behind and so it often hits your feet - this does not happen to cases with extending handles. Perhaps Berghaus could consider adding an extending handle when they next review this design.
The main backpack is very comfortable when carried on your back even when heavily loaded. There is a video review of this pack on youtube which is worth a look.
Overall, this is a great pack, but the wheels are more trouble than they are worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 17 Jun 2013
I bought this as a present for my son who went travelling in January. He had researched a lot of backpacks & felt that this one ticked all the boxes. 6 months into his travels & he is still very pleased with the quality, size & various little extras, such as the inside hidden compartment which is useful to stow & seperate important travels documents etc from the rest of his gear. The main zip compartment opens up the backpack similar to a suitcase so packing & access to the backpack is much easier than a top loading one. So far it's been on about 30 plane journeys & it's holding up very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever pack but it does have it's issues, 29 May 2013

1) The fabric around the wheels are not protected, so the fabric often snags and then splits
2) The pack isn't quite solid enough, so the rivets on the bottom sometime pop off due to the flex/weight
3) The fabric covering the straps at the back is too thin (and different to the rest of the back), thus in airports it can snag, catch and rip
4) The zips on mine also froze as they seemed to corrode (as the paint wears on the metal zipper) and I needed quite a bit of force to free them
5) As above, it is quite difficult to pull behind you, often you have to stoop a little and then it wobbles about on the small wheels (until you get the nack).

I liked the pack but following the above problems, and having received my latest replacement from Berghaus I have since sold it. Great service but a few more improvements could really make a difference with this pack, especially at the price asked!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, but I wouldn't recommend buying it!, 9 Dec 2013
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a really well made bag, but it's just too big, and retrospectively I'm not sure about the value of the attached day sack.

I bought it for a three month backpacking trip. I really wanted a smaller main bag but with a day sack of 15L, and the next size down Berghaus only came with 10L. So I went for this one on the basis of the day sack and the idea that I didn't have to fill it. And it's a really great bag, but I don't think it's a great choice for a trip like this or any other, really, and here's why.

First, the positives: I've never spent this much money on a backpack before, and I thoroughly recommend buying one from the top end of the market. It's comfortable, and full of useful things, from extra pockets inside, to a great zip all the way round the main pack, to frames in useful places, especially the bottom compartment, to a cover for the straps when you're putting it into a luggage compartment, to extra clips. It's clearly well made, and that makes such a difference when carrying it. So total thumbs up for Berghaus generally.

Then, a few little negatives: the wheels don't really do anything. The problem with this is that the only reason a wheely suitcase works is because you have the adjustable handle to pull it along with. This doesn't have that, so unless you're the perfect height (I suspect about 5'8") you have to contort your body. One of the clips for compressing the case broke on my trip; not the end of the world, but a bit annoying. The cover for the straps is a great idea, but it can't really be put away, only with one press-stud, which quite often comes undone, so the cover now has some damage from coming open at an awkward time. Also, the zip on the cover gave so that I can't quite shut it over the straps (it still does the job, but a bit annoying).

On the detachable day bag: this is good, and I certainly wouldn't want a smaller one. Once you've got a book, a bottle of water, your coat in case the rainy season decides to rain, and a couple of souvenirs you've bought that day, it's soon getting full. So as detachable day bags go, this is probably a decent one. However, my suggestion is in fact to buy a smaller main pack and a slightly bigger and better day pack which can double as an overnight bag for if you want to leave your main bag somewhere for a couple of days. Once you want to put your swimming stuff, toiletries and a change of clothes in here, this bag just isn't big enough. Plus, it has no padding at all on the back, so although the straps are decent, you have to pack it carefully to make sure it is comfortable. Also, at no point did I actually zip it back on to the main bag: it tended to have my valuables (tablet etc) in it, so if I was carrying everything I strapped it onto my front. In fact, given it was quite full, it was actually quite difficult to zip it back on. Finally, when it's not zipped on, the main bag doesn't have any small pockets on the outside: this is good for security, but a bit annoying.

Lastly, size: this is a difficult one. On my trip, this is one of the biggest bags I saw, probably the biggest. In some ways I overpacked, and the bag was too big. Because it's so well made and I'm quite strong (and enjoy some exercise) I never had a problem carrying it, but I had to put up with a lot of people saying 'woah, this is massive' etc. I could definitely have taken less stuff, and I still had space to pack in a load of souvenirs at the end. So my suggestion would be that for this sort of trip, the bag is bigger than necessary, and also that there's no situation for a shorter or longer trip where you would need a bag this big.

So, my overall verdict is: if you really want a 70+15 bag, this is a good one. But, I really don't think you do!

My suggestion for a backpacking trip is to find a smaller main pack (60L max, possibly smaller) by a similar standard of manufacturer (and I'm really impressed with Berghaus on the way the bag is made, so I'd recommend them), and supplement this with a possibly bigger and definitely more purpose-built day/overnight bag. If you're going for a bag for more general holidays, then the bag is still too big, and the size of the day bag doesn't matter as much, so go for 65+10 or smaller.

Hope that helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good construction and clever designed, 29 May 2013
Georgios Pantelidis (Greece) - See all my reviews
The product is just excellent. Right size and correct dimensions, if you are up to 1,70 height. If taller, on wheels, you will hit your legs. Straps are very comfortable as well.Price is the cheapest in internet (29/5/13) and delivery was extra fast. Should have 5 stars but because of the absent of a telescopic handle to carry, I give 4,5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bag for travelling with more than enough room and great wheel and back strap system, 7 Aug 2014
This is a fantastic bag to take with you on your travels. The main bag and the daypack combined provide more than enough space for travelling. The bottom compartment of the main bag is an excellent place to store shoes and toiletries if not using to put a sleeping bag. The main sack has easy access and a great secret compartment. The daypack easily attaches to/removes from the main sack and is very roomy. This sack has strong wheels and a handle to pull it along. Unlike other similar packs this bag doesn't have a big heavy extendable metal handle. The back straps can be easily removed and put away. While travelling on planes you can be sure that no straps are dangling to get caught in any conveyor belts etc. It's great. Another traveller I met borrow the bag from someone a few years ago and has managed to avoid giving it back they think its so good. Definitely a great travelling companion!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Travel Companion, 26 Aug 2014
I bought this for my daughter to use when she went travelling.
My daughter and the bag returned 1 year later, each still in one piece.
There was not one issue with the bag - and it certainly didn't travel 5*!!
It was lugged around hostels, on and off planes, trains, buses and local transport.
It returned from its travels in such great condition that my daughter put it straight on ebay!!
After lots and lots of initial research - I definitely chose the right bag.
Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, 18 April 2012
Easy to wheel, and the wheels don't touch your back when carrying it a backpack. I've had it around the world in the last few months and it's nearly bullet proof. The rucksack bio-fit system is very comfortable for long walks and can be adjusted. Delivery was quick and as advertised. Quality product, best bag I have ever owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb design and manufacture, 8 Aug 2014
Attention to detail in functionality through design. Faultlessly manufactured. Large capacity. Minimal weight considering wheels (you don't want a heavy tow handle on a backpack), Optimally balanced. Compartments inside can be unified to carry long items. Even has a zip up valuables/documents wallet that you can fix buried under all your belongings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Backpack, 8 Aug 2013
I have just returned after 8 months travelling and have been living out of this bag. It has been a superb buy, the design is brilliant, the quality is of a very high standard and it was the envy of my other two travelling companions who decided to buy cheaper bags, but ended up having to pay out for repairs and replacements bags along the way.

Would recommend this bag to any fellow backpackers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›