5.0 out of 5 stars DXR890 250gb - recommended
Published on 28 Nov 2011 by bamfy

3.0 out of 5 stars sky box
At first I thought there was a problem with the remote not changing channels very well but after buying 2 more remotes and resetting , it seems the problem is with the box but by the time this was realized it was to late to return, so now just have to put up with it so not very happy but getting up and down to change channels is good excercise its not the end of the world
Published 19 months ago by gabrielle spain

5.0 out of 5 stars DXR890 250gb - recommended, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: Sky+ Sky Plus HD Digibox Amstrad DXR890 250GB Personal Storage (2011 Slimline Version) (Electronics)
I bought this box from seller "Lamps UK". Contents inside the Sky package box looked brand new and the actual sky+HD box looked brand new too. I just switched my old box (normal sky+) to this one, Cables etc were like for like. I then rang sky to pair this new box to my viewing card and it took no more than 5 mins for all my channels to pop up (although the Sky advisor said i should give it a few hours to complete but i didn't have to).

The 250gb personal space (other 250gb is for anytime) is sufficient for me. I record and delete and not all of my recordings are in HD. I didn't really hoard stuff on my old box and I have a dvd recorder plugged into the sky+hd box's scart if i want to keep anything for longer.

Only problem was the lack of manual but i downloaded a soft copy of the internet. Not a big issue for me as the box isn't that different to the old box but it made me wonder why was there a missing manual. I later received my new Sky+HD 1TB box direct from sky (engineer bought it during upgrade) and that didn't have a manual either so maybe it was intentional from Sky to cut costs and save trees.

Note - I was hesitating buying this box off Amazon's marketplace specially when the price i paid was very competitive (was lower than the default seller of the item). But I suppose it depends who you buy from as my purchase was smooth and i'm happy with the item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes,Yes,Yes,..Sky have Finally,"Got Their Box Right".....ish!, 1 Jun 2011
E. White (London) - See all my reviews
********NOTE********
This is purely a review on the hardware(DRX890),this review is NOT a reflection on what I think of "$ky" which as you can probably imagine(by the way I spelt "$ky") is NOT great but,I will not go into it here,I hope you can appreciate this review for what it is.....thank you!

Delivery:
Box arrived within about 4-5 days after ordering,which was what was stated by amazon,it was signed for & then immediately opened & hooked-up to a hdtv.

Description:
The DRX 890 is about 20% smaller than the original skyhd stb,this is a great plus point as,it`s far easier to physically fit into any a/v system of your choosing.There after,it looks exactly the same as the original box,the remote also.Around the back you lose the ability to record directly to a scart based recorder as,there is only one scart(RGB & Composite)for output to a tv scart input,5.1 S/S is by optical(phono),stereo audio(phono again),hdmi,etc.Sky still have a usb port but,they still have no apparent use for it,as of yet.It has been stated that it is for "future use" at the moment,it can apparently be used to charge ipods & some mobile phones(which I didn`t know about).

Performance:
As it says in the heading,"yes,yes,yes"this box works the way I`m sure sky intended all those duff stb`s were suppose too,reliability,picture & sound quality are all top-notch. Now,these amstrad DRX890 come with 250 usable gigabytes,the other 250gb are used for sky`s anytime service.It`s a real shame that it is not possible to turn-off anytime & use this,as this box will have you recording like a mad person also,the user would have half a teryabite(the whole 500gb)for their home recording or archiving.
A major point with this stb over our samsung is,we are using the amstrads internal up-scaler to do the picture up-scaling.Now it has been said that sky stb`s do not have a decent up-scaler well,with the DRX890 it seems sky have rectified this,by a large degree,judging by the quality on our hdtv anyway(32" 1080p LG).With the DRX890 doing the up-scaling,this means that we are watching pictures from standard definition that are up-scaled to 1080i.Along with this is the 5 hd channels that you get for free, The response time of this machine,is super quick,once a button on the remote or on the stb it self is pressed,the operation is instantly carried out.The quickness of this is defined in the "one button push" record.Where recording is concerned these sky stb`s corner the market with,the ability to record form a pc,or better still,your own mobile phone.Some people have mentioned that the contrast setting is to low on this box which,did seem to be the case when it was hooked up to a hdtv with a very low contrast setting(28" Hannspree 1080phdtv).But this isn`t a issue now that it`s been used with a hdtv with a much higher contrast setting on it,this has also been confirmed by some else that I know who has recently had this box installed,so all good there then. Everything else on this machine is the same as the 160gb;ff,rw,pause,etc,etc,etc.I wanted to wait at lease 6 months before I posted a review,as I was waiting to see how the box performed &,if it stopped working all together this way I can give a more comprehensive review than just having the box for a short time & getting to excited,this is something I guess probably happens to other people when they have a new piece of audio equipment,it`s easy done as it`s new & seemly "wonderful". So far,this sky+hd box(DRX890)has been almost...Flawless! The reason I say "almost" is because of the slightly low contrast(which wouldn`t show up on a hdtv with a good contrast setting anyways),& I have had to do ONE,yeah ONE in over eight months of ownership,"system download" for a lock-up/picture freeze!

Another important point to cover is the remote,it`s just as good as on any other sky stb,but with the epg been super quick,it does make using the remote even more pleasurable,If you take the time to read customer`s reviews/comments on other stb`s,you will notice a common vein with a lot of stb`s remote`s NOT been anywhere near as;reliable,well thought out & laid-out or,user-friendly as sky`s very own.This controller,is the best you`ll find on any or most hdtv set top boxes,& one of the cheapest too.

Conclusion:
It seems that sky`s acquisition of amstrad is paying of for this little gem.With it been built in-house they(sky)can monitor it`s construction much more closely,& for the units to be made exactly to sky`s specification.Now,I don`t know if there is any other manufacturer for this box(like there is for the 160gb`s),but I`ll tell you this,sky/amstrad have got this,just-about-right,it`s a delight to use,instructions are clear,the remote is well designed plus,it comes bundled with some versatile extras.Easily "FIVE STARS",the only REAL starting point for a skyhd user.
Highly RECOMMENDED!!

********NOTE-2********
I would just like to add that,I didn`t buy this direct from amazon,item was bought from the Market place.I did have to contact the seller(over no instruction booklet inside the box),& he informed me that this had come from bankrupt stock he had obtained.The reason I chose to purchase this way was of course,price,I made a huge saving on this item when it was bought.So it was sold as new,but he had tested it before selling as there was some stored recordings(which was explained during our emails to each other)which was good of him to check the goods first.Along with others,I`m also weary of buying electrical goods this way,but this just goes to really show how reliable this skyhd box(DRX890)has been.....so far anyway.If things DO change,believe-you-me,I WILL up-date this review accordingly,thank you once again for taking the time to read.
Up-date:
As many of you may(or may not)know,sky have a(brilliant)use for their ethernet connection..."sky on-demand".
"On-demand" is at no extra cost to your monthly bill so,it`s free(something free from sky,wow...it`s about time!)& has such features as;catch-up(iplayers),showcase etc.Even though "on-demand" is at no extra cost,if you access the "sky store" in the "on-demand" section,you do have to pay to rent the latest movie releases(obviously),like you do on lovefilm,netflix etc.For more info about "sky on-demand",just go to the skytv web site.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great upgrade from our old sky box, 3 Nov 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 9:01 Mins

This was purchased to replace our very old Sky box which seemed to have developed a very strange whirring sound.

I like the design of this box, the curved front, the matt metal and black casing, the side panels with holes - it looked stylish and modern and was significantly smaller than our old box. I also liked that there was a compartment on the front where the card slots into and then can be hidden out of view.

This box has a decent amount of memory which means you can record and store a large number of programs. However, although it correctly says there is 500GB of memory, in reality only half of that is available to use as the other half is dedicated to Sky anytime - which is a bit of a pain as we never use that service.

The box was relatively easy to set up, we just removed the old one and plugged this one straight back in. It did initially have an error message saying that it couldn't find a satellite signal but going into the 'settings' menu and 'signal' it was easy to see what was causing the problem. One loose cable pushed more firmly in resulted in us having a decent signal 1 and 2 and the box then worked. So the fault really was ours but it is useful to mention it here as it is easily done and can leave you thinking that the box is faulty.

In order to record Sky the box does insist on having a telephone socket plugged in. We got away with that with our old box but this one isn't quite so forgiving.

The Electronic Programme Guide is intuitive and simple to use. The remote control makes it a breeze to doddle through the channels and select the options you require. You can choose from a range of genres such as News, Films, Entertainment etc. There is also the option to watch and record many of the programs in HD - although if you record them they will take up much more space than in standard definition.

Overall, a good upgrade from my previous Sky box, looks great and very easy to set up and use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sky+ HD box, 2 Sep 2010
This box does the job for which it was intended and through Amazon market place it can be bought at a reasonable price. However one thing I should point out is that this box has only 1 scart socket making it difficult to link up DVD players etc. It does have HDMI, SATA, ethernet, USB and RS-232 connections for the technos. Our other box, which was supplied directly from Sky has 2 x scart sockets, much better for we techno-phobes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does all it says on gthe (HD) box, 30 Oct 2010
Layton Lewis "Welsh15" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Good poduct, came on time, well packaged. Came with new remote and even an HTMI lead which was an unexpected bonus.
Compared to Sky's 300 ask - very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 of Sky+ Sky Plus HD Digibox Amstrad DXR890 250GB, 4 Dec 2011
the sky box i bought from this company is great.
if any one should want to buy a reconditioned unit,
do it. you get a 2 year warranty, if you have a problem with it,
they will call you, or you can send the unit back.
i had a small problem with it, which was my fault for not knowing what i had to do,
they telephoned me, i pressed a few buttons, and now its great.
fantastic company. i totally recommend them. nice one guys. thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement Sky box, 1 Nov 2010
My existing Thomson sky box failed and this Amstrad unit was chosen as a replacement
Delivery was excellent
Box is smaller, quieter and faster than the original box.

Set up was simple requiring only a call to Sky to energise the package.
Good experience

4.0 out of 5 stars Sky plus digibox., 23 Jan 2013
The package arrived within 36 hours, as the internal box was not sealed and no setup instructions included I do wonder if the Sky box is new as stated in Amazon web site. I transferred the connections from the box it is to replace to the new box, it seems to be working quite well even giving a better picture,I did have a problem recording at first but was told about the viewing card, see below.
IMPORTANT you may need to register your viewing card to this box if it is a replacement,

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value., 3 Dec 2012
Archbold Jake "Archie" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a review of a second hand/ refurbished box.

As one who for many year has only had the ordinary Sky Box - no frills bells or whistles, the extras were beneficial but in some cases really annoying. The box itself works fine and as good as the original. Naturally it also has the same faults as the original - the less than positive handset and response time between pressing the button and getting something to happen; the lack of any manual (new ones don't come with a manual either) etc.

The only likely difficulty is the 'pairing' of the box to your Sky account. If this is a problem, do please phone the Seller rather than complain either to Sky or to Amazon. The Seller is really helpful (must have taken about five minutes for him to sort out and phone back) and you will find that the saving on the box for once is money well saved.

4.0 out of 5 stars feedback, 5 Sep 2012
I am happy with the service I received from the seller. quick postage and also good after sell service.
The box was as good as new and had no scratch.
I am happy with my purchase for the price I paid.