5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDD for the money. I upgraded the new slim PS3 12gb.
Published 19 months ago by Russell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Drive but Beware the Advanced Formatting
Published on 17 April 2012 by G. K. Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDD for the money. I upgraded the new slim PS3 12gb., 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: WD Scorpio Blue 320GB 5400 RPM SATA Mobile Internal Hard Drive OEM (8 MB,2.5 inch,Sony Playstation PS3 Compatible) (Personal Computers)
This HDD is good quality and great value! I bought it to upgrade a new PlayStation 3 Slim 12gb console. You also need the "Sony PlayStation 3 Replacement Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Mounting Bracket", also available from Amazon. The installation process was very quick and easy. The Hard Drive was installed and formatted within 30 minutes! Fitting it does not affect the warranty on the PS3. If you want to upgrade, go for it, it is so easy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good PS3 drive, 19 Feb 2013
Craig (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't posted this review straight away, I wanted a couple of month of use before I did. I bought this for my new 12GB Super Slim PS3. Installation was easy, it's all fairly automatic when you install it, it detects and formats the drive. It's a 320GB drive but it was actually less and the final storage space after formatting is 298MB. Then I had to install various updates. Still, after having a 60GB hard drive in my original fat PS3 which died of the YLOD, it's nice to have plenty of space for games, music etc. I almost went for a 500GB but it was overkill for me. In use I've had no problems at all while playing games or anything else. No speed issues, pausing or anything else. I bought the official mounting bracket too which fit perfectly. I'm looking for something negative to say about it but it's a hard drive that does what it's supposed to so I can't say anything bad about it. Works perfectly.

Update (15th Aug 2013). Just now and then my games crash while playing and I have no option but to unplug the PS3 and restart. I don't know if the issue is with the drive or the PS3, both bought at the same time but it only happens now and then (at the time of writing).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for ps3, 31 Aug 2013
I brought this to upgrade my ps3 (fat original) i have had no problems with it it works great & know have lost of space to download the ps+ games. Just be aware that due to some sort of different way the ps3 & harddrive manufactures measure drives it will only show about 298GB once in ps3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Internal HDD without the mystique, 6 May 2013
I bought this to instantly upgrade a new Playstation 3 Slim Line 12GB.

The base model of the PS3 has no hard drive, but installing one is very easy and saves money. Compare the prices of the base model with one with a HDD already fitted and you will find that buying a HDD and caddy to fit yourself works out cheaper.

You need to buy a caddy (hard drive holder) to go with it. Get the official Sony one.

Look on Youtube for a demo of how to fit the hard drive - worth doing just to see how to get the end cover off the PS3 as no screws are visible. It really is just a matter of putting the HDD into the caddy, securing with the four screws provided, then slide the caddy into the slot in the PS3. Secure with the little blue screw provided, pop the cover back on and you are good to go.

Note that the PS3 will want to copy the information from its solid state memory onto the HDD - say yes to that. Once you have done it there is no going back as the data is not just transferred - it is erased. In other words, the HDD becomes essential. You can't remove it or the PS3 won't work.

I have had several WD drives over the years and they are a quality brand. This one is very good value for money and big enough to store a load of games, videos, etc. If you need more space, go for the 500GB, which costs very little more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Drive but Beware the Advanced Formatting, 17 April 2012
G. K. Griffiths (Wolverhampton, West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this drive as a replacement for a failing drive in my Toshiba laptop. Needless to say the new drive fitted perfectly but then I found that my Backup/Restore software would not recognise it. To cut a long story short I managed to initialise/format the drive on a second laptop but my backup/restore software would still not recognise the new drive. I tried a clean install which took absolutely hours to complete only to find that the system ran so slowly as to be unuseable. Further research revealed that this drive (model WD3200BPVT) uses advanced formatting and the Western Digital website carries a set of utilities which can be downloaded to adjust the formatting to make it compatible with older systems/PCs. Unfortunately the utilities are provided by Acronis and I just happen to be using a copy of True Image Home 10. The downloaded utility completely trashed my existing installation of Acronis and still would not recognise the new drive properly. Eventually I returned the new drive for a refund and purchased the non-advanced version (model WD3200BEVT. This fitted perfectly and I restored my system in less than two hours. The moral of this tale is to be very wary of the new advanced formatting on hard drives unless you are certain that they will be compatible with your system.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for a ps3, 18 Sep 2013
I did not realise when i purchased a slim ps3 it had hardly any memory,this was a great buy,easy to installbut would reccomend you buy the bracket to put it in

5.0 out of 5 stars western digital scorpio blue 320gb, 4 Sep 2013
I purchased this for a 12gb ps3 super slim and i can't find anything wrong with it. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to upgrade

4.0 out of 5 stars Fitted easily , immediately sprung in to life, 2 Sep 2013
Has been reliable since purchase and gives me the much needed extra space on my PS3, a great purchase well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 21 Aug 2013
i was a little bit silly buying a ps3 with only 12 gig of flash storage. bought this hdd with the bracket, so easy to install and works perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 23 July 2013
This is so easy to fit and is great for a PS3.Buy it if you need more memory for your games etc.