5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDD for the money. I upgraded the new slim PS3 12gb.
Published on 24 Dec. 2012 by Russell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Drive but Beware the Advanced Formatting
Published on 17 April 2012 by G. K. Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDD for the money. I upgraded the new slim PS3 12gb., 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: WD Scorpio Blue 320GB 5400 RPM SATA Mobile Internal Hard Drive OEM (8 MB,2.5 inch,Sony Playstation PS3 Compatible) (Personal Computers)
This HDD is good quality and great value! I bought it to upgrade a new PlayStation 3 Slim 12gb console. You also need the "Sony PlayStation 3 Replacement Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Mounting Bracket", also available from Amazon. The installation process was very quick and easy. The Hard Drive was installed and formatted within 30 minutes! Fitting it does not affect the warranty on the PS3. If you want to upgrade, go for it, it is so easy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good PS3 drive, 19 Feb. 2013
Craig (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't posted this review straight away, I wanted a couple of month of use before I did. I bought this for my new 12GB Super Slim PS3. Installation was easy, it's all fairly automatic when you install it, it detects and formats the drive. It's a 320GB drive but it was actually less and the final storage space after formatting is 298MB. Then I had to install various updates. Still, after having a 60GB hard drive in my original fat PS3 which died of the YLOD, it's nice to have plenty of space for games, music etc. I almost went for a 500GB but it was overkill for me. In use I've had no problems at all while playing games or anything else. No speed issues, pausing or anything else. I bought the official mounting bracket too which fit perfectly. I'm looking for something negative to say about it but it's a hard drive that does what it's supposed to so I can't say anything bad about it. Works perfectly.

Update (15th Aug 2013). Just now and then my games crash while playing and I have no option but to unplug the PS3 and restart. I don't know if the issue is with the drive or the PS3, both bought at the same time but it only happens now and then (at the time of writing).

5.0 out of 5 stars Internal HDD without the mystique, 6 May 2013
I bought this to instantly upgrade a new Playstation 3 Slim Line 12GB.

The base model of the PS3 has no hard drive, but installing one is very easy and saves money. Compare the prices of the base model with one with a HDD already fitted and you will find that buying a HDD and caddy to fit yourself works out cheaper.

You need to buy a caddy (hard drive holder) to go with it. Get the official Sony one.

Look on Youtube for a demo of how to fit the hard drive - worth doing just to see how to get the end cover off the PS3 as no screws are visible. It really is just a matter of putting the HDD into the caddy, securing with the four screws provided, then slide the caddy into the slot in the PS3. Secure with the little blue screw provided, pop the cover back on and you are good to go.

Note that the PS3 will want to copy the information from its solid state memory onto the HDD - say yes to that. Once you have done it there is no going back as the data is not just transferred - it is erased. In other words, the HDD becomes essential. You can't remove it or the PS3 won't work.

I have had several WD drives over the years and they are a quality brand. This one is very good value for money and big enough to store a load of games, videos, etc. If you need more space, go for the 500GB, which costs very little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for ps3, 31 Aug. 2013
I brought this to upgrade my ps3 (fat original) i have had no problems with it it works great & know have lost of space to download the ps+ games. Just be aware that due to some sort of different way the ps3 & harddrive manufactures measure drives it will only show about 298GB once in ps3.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Drive but Beware the Advanced Formatting, 17 April 2012
G. K. Griffiths (Wolverhampton, West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this drive as a replacement for a failing drive in my Toshiba laptop. Needless to say the new drive fitted perfectly but then I found that my Backup/Restore software would not recognise it. To cut a long story short I managed to initialise/format the drive on a second laptop but my backup/restore software would still not recognise the new drive. I tried a clean install which took absolutely hours to complete only to find that the system ran so slowly as to be unuseable. Further research revealed that this drive (model WD3200BPVT) uses advanced formatting and the Western Digital website carries a set of utilities which can be downloaded to adjust the formatting to make it compatible with older systems/PCs. Unfortunately the utilities are provided by Acronis and I just happen to be using a copy of True Image Home 10. The downloaded utility completely trashed my existing installation of Acronis and still would not recognise the new drive properly. Eventually I returned the new drive for a refund and purchased the non-advanced version (model WD3200BEVT. This fitted perfectly and I restored my system in less than two hours. The moral of this tale is to be very wary of the new advanced formatting on hard drives unless you are certain that they will be compatible with your system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for expanding PS3 storage, 2 Jan. 2013
Bought this item to expand my PS3 storage capacity having been bought the 12GB Play Station 3 super slim for christmas. Ordered this along with the PS3 Hard Drive Caddy from Amazon.

Item arrived eventually after some issues with City Sprint courier. Items were very well packaged. Small box featured the hard drive suspended in box to prevent it sliding around and being damaged and sealed in anti-static bag.

Drive fitted perfectly in the PS3 caddy and easy to attach with screws in correct place. Worked perfectly first time. No noise, no issues or clicking. This is a perfectly sized, and very affordable, hard drive for the occasionally gamer as it will allow storage of loads of games and add-ons or updates.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, but had to clone os from old hdd via acronis bootable cd, 7 Mar. 2013
while the hard drive has been working fine for a few months (on an old vaio), it was necessary to use the acronis bootable cd (created with acronis true image wd edition) in order to clone the os from my previous dying hdd, which was connected to the laptop via usb enclosure. It was not possible to clone the os in true image by connecting the the new hdd via usb enclosure to the booted laptop (option was greyed out) and it was not possible to use the os installation dvds for a clean install.
So in short these were the steps you might want to try if stuck (the requirement here is that your old hdd isn't completely dead):
1) download Acronis True Image WD Edition from WD scorpio blue download section
2) use the software to burn a bootable cd with the entire program on it
3) install your new scorpio blue hdd on the laptop and insert your old hdd in a sata usb enclosure
4) boot the cd from your laptop and access true image
5) navigate to the cloning window and connect your enclosed old hdd via usb, it will appear in a list of sources
6) clone and you're good to go

UPDATE: the hard drive is now dead, it lasted about two years and since a few months ago it started getting some BSOD...I tried formatting it but it is now not unresponsive and producing a micro ticking sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 8 Dec. 2013
So I needed a replacement drive for my PS3 slim after the last one got damaged as the result of a powercut during gameplay. Bad luck for me. Normally you'll only get corrpution from which you can easily recover, but in my case the drive got damaged. (I verified this by running some diagnostic tools). So I replaced the damaged toshiba 320GB with a WD Scorpio Blue of same size. I've always angled towards WD for drives. I have a mybooklive also. Also my IT dept favours them for replacements in work laptops. So far so good, running well. Note to all PS3 owners...replacing is a drive is simples. One Screw, Put it in and switch on. The system formats and prepares the disk for use. you just have a few prompts to accept. Don't do anything more than that! e.g. like some of the so called "advice" in some forums! Just Plug and Play ! I have to admire Sony for making it so easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement PS3 Hard Drive, 5 Nov. 2011
I bought this for my brother's birthday as his PS3 40gb hard drive was nearly full. I can confirm this hard drive is indeed compatible with the PS3 and is really easy to switch over (see youtube for helpful videos).

A couple years ago I also bought a 320gb western digital hard drive for my own PS3. My own hard drive was the model no WD3200BEVT compared to this one which is model no WD3200BPVT. I think this WD3200BPVT may be the successor to model WD3200BEVT. Anyway, both models seem to work perfectly as PS3 hard drives.

The only slight down side relates to the price. I bought mine for £34.99 (including postage) at the start of October 2011 which I think is superb value, but the price does seem to have risen fairly drastically as at the time of writing this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great PS3 upgrade, 30 Dec. 2012
I bought this to upgrade my aged PS3 40gb version. I am so glad I did because I now have a ton of storage. The drive was easy to install. I think I followed the Cnet guide on YouTube, other guides are available, lol. The drive itself is quite and fast, loading with no lag.

Sone info you may find useful if you were unaware like I was. Although the HDD states 320gb, you will actually only get about 297gb. This is to do with how the manudacturers measure the drives capacity. They use a different system to everyone else, which means they can claim a higher storage capacity. Also once you have fitted ther drive the PS3 system reserves 10% of the total drive space for its own OS. In my case about 30gb which left me a totall of about 270gb still plenty.