on 25 September 2012
I bought this hard drive to upgrade my PS3's old upgrade that was 250GB after searching around on quite a few websites I found this and decided to bite the bullet because I know that some PS3's dont seem to get along with some drives from Westerns Digital. I received it in around 3-4 days I cant remember on Super Saver delivery which was good time to be honest only gripe I didnt like was the lousy packaging it came in a sleeve type cardboard box that usually DVD/Games are sent in with no bubble wrap at all.

NOW THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT I HAD TO DO TO GET IT TO FORMAT AND WORK FOR MY SLIMLINE PS3

You'll need a USB data stick/Pen drive with 200mb or more and it to be formatted doesn't matter what file format FAT32 or NTFS once its formatted you need to then go into the drive via your PC/Laptop and create one folder in CAP letters called PS3, then go into that folder and create another folder again in CAPS called UPDATE. You need to search through Google or whatever and find PS3 UPDATE and download the latest firmware from the official UK site. Unfortunately I cannot give you the address as Amazon forbid it so I can only give you what you need to search for when you have found the update site and downloaded the file called PS3UPDAT.PUP copy it to the USB stick inside the folder UPDATE this is in case the PS3 doesn't recognize the hard drive at first and you need to the firmware data to format the drive its a little crazy but its what it asked me to do and how Sony have created the software.

AT THIS POINT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ALL YOUR GAME SAVES AS THEY ARE ON THE OLD DRIVE YOU CAN COPY MOST IF NOT ALL YOUR GAME SAVES TO A USB STICK YOU CAN EVEN COPY THEM TO THE ONE YOUR USING OR IF YOU HAVE PS+ COPY THEM ALL TO THAT IT EVEN COPIES PROTECTED GAMES SAVES.

Right install the hard drive into your PS3 try not to shed the blue screw make sure your using the right screwdriver as the blue screw can be a ***** to get out should you shred the thing once the old drive is out why not give it a dust out before installing the new one as it will help with keeping the HDD from overheating when in use. Now when the drive it in place and everything is plugged back in power and HDMI cable etc plug in the USB stick into one of the USB ports and connect the charge cable to your controller as well and power the console up , at this point it may give you a message that the drive cannot be formatted or used follow the on screen prompts and it will and should ask for the latest firmware update it should scan the USB stick and format the drive and re install the firmware software. Once done it then should start up the system and start system settings that need to be set you will also need to re download your PSN ID and re sync your trophies as everything is on your old drive.
on 19 January 2012
I've been upgrading my MacBook Pro recently as it's getting on a bit (bought in Nov 2009). Had been a bit nervous about fiddling around with the hardware in it but upgraded the RAM recently and that was easy, so decided to have a go a the hard drive too. Again, really easy. This hard drive works absolutely perfectly, my MBP was already faster from the RAM upgrade but unexpectedly the hard drive upgrade made it run faster still. Applications like iPhoto now just pop up almost instantly and retrieve photos really quickly.

Now have loads of space and a faster laptop! Seems to slightly drain on the battery more than before as another poster mentioned, but similarly I've found that's true for doing stuff like sorting photos and web browsing but actually watching video seems to be the same if not slower. So a small trade up but totally one worth taking in my opinion.
on 19 August 2011
I brought this as a replacement HDD for my PS3. Delivery was prompt and it has worked perfectly since installing. I can now install all my GT5 tracks and lots of music and videos. Its brilliant. Doesn't appear noisy (or at least no noiser than the old one) Very happy.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 October 2013
I've no complaints with this hard drive it's got decent performance, quiet with little to no notable vibration.
Ideal as a replacement drive and the price is quite reasonable.

However on testing the Hitachi 7K1000 2.5" 7200rpm drive edges it out for pure speed (this ia a 5400rpm drive) The Hitachi has a bigger 32mb buffer and faster spindle speed yet still very quiet. I've no complaints with the WD500 though it's very decent and satisfactory for both laptops and quieter desktop pc's.

I would however steer folks towards the 7K1000 if it's their main boot drive and they want improved performance. The Western Digital is no slouch though and very respectable in it's own right. I've not yet tried the latest model so can't really say if there are any enhancements on that side of things. As it is a decent drive that's well worth looking at.

Will update the review should any notable issues/concerns arise so far so good though (I'm running a number of these and have done for a while)
on 24 August 2012
Overwhelmingly impressed I couldn't believe at this value my item arrived the following morning.
This item represents excellent value for money, the hard drive has worked faultlessly since installation.
I would have no qualms what so ever recommending the product and especially the company who supplied it.
on 12 October 2011
Ok got this drive last year and it failed last month, I understand that drives failed so wouldn't down rate it for that but I would for Western Digitals RMA service which was comically bad.

WD does have a site where you put in your drive number and they will issue you with RMA number. Not a bad idea but here is my first small gripe, you have to pay to return the drive yourself, so basically I have to pay because of their shoddy goods. Not a great start.

Ok sent the drive by recorded delivery on the 20th September and it was signed for on the 21st September.

One week later and there is nothing on their status page to suggest they have it (you have to wait 7 working days for them to put it in their system - REALLY ?

Still waiting and emailing them to ask where it was and finally on the 7th Oct it "arrives" in their inventory.

Ok now they find it is faulty - I knew that otherwise I would not have sent it back.

Now they despatch the new drive on the 8th October by what I can only guess is on the back of a snail as it is now the 12th October and tracking UPS says it isn't even in the UK yet.

Pray your drive never fails.... such poor service.
on 10 March 2012
Fitted this at the same time as a 2gb RAM upgrade. Very happy, drive was really easy to fit in my Mid-2009 Aluminium MacBook Pro.

Installed Snow Leopard from DVD, hit Software Update to download the latest patches. Then upgraded to OSX Lion from the App Store again, free as I'd previously purchased. Last step was to restore everything from a Time Machine backup, job done went without a hitch.

Only point to note is that your MB Pro won't see the new drive when you first insert the Snow Leopard DVD until it's formatted, just go to Disk Utilities from the Boot Menu after the Snow Leopard DVD has loaded and select "Erase". When done just load OSX from the main Snow Leopard DVD.

Drive is actually quieter than the one it replaced (160 gb) and runs cooler too, no issues at all with battery life. You'll need a Torx Screwdriver set to remove and refit the mounting screws, Amazon sell a set made by Lindy for little cost which worked like a charm.

Highly recommended upgrade.
on 26 January 2014
I got this for an upgrade for my PHAT 40GB PS3. Supplied very quick (couple days).
Swopped it in no problem in no time to be honest. Now I'm no techy and looked at masses of advice on internet on how to do this, some scary with firmware updates etc etc and others easier to follow. What did I do......Well it does seem thats it an easier process for the old original ps3's (called PHAT ones) than the current crop of slimline ones. This is what I did (and it worked with no hitches):
1. Made sure latest firmware (version) was on ps3
2. Made sure I had synced all my trophies
3. Inserted a USB stick (32GB Cruzer) and used the backup facility in setting to transfer all game data onto USB (it took 2 hrs! - so its a slow process for a full backup). You can do specific games using copy facility under each game info if you want instead.
4. You don't have to backup, but you will lose all your game saves (but NOT trophies as these are on your PSN account, or your passwords and network connections - so dont worry)
5. Switched it all off and removed old HDD from side of machine (on left). Just WATCH those screws - they easy to round a head so do it carefully. You will have 5 screws to undo (blue and 4 for case that holds HDD).
6. Popped new HDD in, re did all screws back etc and plugged machine in and turned on.
7. Basically the machine did the rest!
8. Go back into setting and backup and click restore with the USB inserted to restore your game saves.
9. To clarify - I did NOT need to worry about reinstalling the latest firmware (which you have to do on the slim and slimline versions)
Thats it - re synced trophies and away I went!

The above is the laymen's version of replacing the drive - if you experience problems then I can't help, i'd have no idea.
I had 465GB of the 500GB HDD available after installing. I'm well pleased.
The HDD seems to work no differently from the one that was in it (Seagate 40GB) - still clicks and whirs but I'm used to that! Its 7 yrs old! lol
Hope thats useful - would I recommend YES! (well for the original PS3's anyways). Much cheaper than buying a new machine just for more memory!
on 4 January 2014
I bought this to replace a dead hard drive on my 7 year old laptop. Considering laptop's age I didn't want to spend too much and to my surprise Amazon's price on 500GB hdd was just a bit more than 320GB second hand unit on auction site. Western Digital drives are usually very reliable and together with Amazon's superb customer service the decision was easy.

So far the hard drive works well and quiet. If anything changes I shall update my review.
on 16 November 2013
... but everything went well so far. bought to replace a faulty hard drive WD500BPVT from a Samsung laptop which has just gone out of warranty, "sod's law"! performance is as described, quite pleased! hope this lasts long though!

additional entry:
24th May 2014 - developed a fault 5 months after purchase - "bad hard disk" on diagnostics, contacted seller, replacement was sent without questions. TOP MARKS for SELLER!