5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly in my mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13"
Published on 19 Jan 2012 by Ian McKee

1.0 out of 5 stars Pray it never fails......
Ok got this drive last year and it failed last month, I understand that drives failed so wouldn't down rate it for that but I would for Western Digitals RMA service which was comically bad.

WD does have a site where you put in your drive number and they will issue you with RMA number. Not a bad idea but here is my first small gripe, you have to pay to return...
Published on 12 Oct 2011 by B. P. Slack

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly in my mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13", 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: WD 500GB Portable SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Blue (Personal Computers)
I've been upgrading my MacBook Pro recently as it's getting on a bit (bought in Nov 2009). Had been a bit nervous about fiddling around with the hardware in it but upgraded the RAM recently and that was easy, so decided to have a go a the hard drive too. Again, really easy. This hard drive works absolutely perfectly, my MBP was already faster from the RAM upgrade but unexpectedly the hard drive upgrade made it run faster still. Applications like iPhoto now just pop up almost instantly and retrieve photos really quickly.

Now have loads of space and a faster laptop! Seems to slightly drain on the battery more than before as another poster mentioned, but similarly I've found that's true for doing stuff like sorting photos and web browsing but actually watching video seems to be the same if not slower. So a small trade up but totally one worth taking in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat replacement HDD, 19 Aug 2011
I brought this as a replacement HDD for my PS3. Delivery was prompt and it has worked perfectly since installing. I can now install all my GT5 tracks and lots of music and videos. Its brilliant. Doesn't appear noisy (or at least no noiser than the old one) Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Quiet, Good Performance, Works In PS3, 25 Sep 2012
I bought this hard drive to upgrade my PS3's old upgrade that was 250GB after searching around on quite a few websites I found this and decided to bite the bullet because I know that some PS3's dont seem to get along with some drives from Westerns Digital. I received it in around 3-4 days I cant remember on Super Saver delivery which was good time to be honest only gripe I didnt like was the lousy packaging it came in a sleeve type cardboard box that usually DVD/Games are sent in with no bubble wrap at all.

NOW THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT I HAD TO DO TO GET IT TO FORMAT AND WORK FOR MY SLIMLINE PS3

You'll need a USB data stick/Pen drive with 200mb or more and it to be formatted doesn't matter what file format FAT32 or NTFS once its formatted you need to then go into the drive via your PC/Laptop and create one folder in CAP letters called PS3, then go into that folder and create another folder again in CAPS called UPDATE. You need to search through Google or whatever and find PS3 UPDATE and download the latest firmware from the official UK site. Unfortunately I cannot give you the address as Amazon forbid it so I can only give you what you need to search for when you have found the update site and downloaded the file called PS3UPDAT.PUP copy it to the USB stick inside the folder UPDATE this is in case the PS3 doesn't recognize the hard drive at first and you need to the firmware data to format the drive its a little crazy but its what it asked me to do and how Sony have created the software.

AT THIS POINT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ALL YOUR GAME SAVES AS THEY ARE ON THE OLD DRIVE YOU CAN COPY MOST IF NOT ALL YOUR GAME SAVES TO A USB STICK YOU CAN EVEN COPY THEM TO THE ONE YOUR USING OR IF YOU HAVE PS+ COPY THEM ALL TO THAT IT EVEN COPIES PROTECTED GAMES SAVES.

Right install the hard drive into your PS3 try not to shed the blue screw make sure your using the right screwdriver as the blue screw can be a ***** to get out should you shred the thing once the old drive is out why not give it a dust out before installing the new one as it will help with keeping the HDD from overheating when in use. Now when the drive it in place and everything is plugged back in power and HDMI cable etc plug in the USB stick into one of the USB ports and connect the charge cable to your controller as well and power the console up , at this point it may give you a message that the drive cannot be formatted or used follow the on screen prompts and it will and should ask for the latest firmware update it should scan the USB stick and format the drive and re install the firmware software. Once done it then should start up the system and start system settings that need to be set you will also need to re download your PSN ID and re sync your trophies as everything is on your old drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets!, 24 Aug 2012
Overwhelmingly impressed I couldn't believe at this value my item arrived the following morning.
This item represents excellent value for money, the hard drive has worked faultlessly since installation.
I would have no qualms what so ever recommending the product and especially the company who supplied it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ps3 HDD, 18 Oct 2012
works a dream :) best purchase for ps3 that i've made so far (cheap and easy to fit) fast delivery. would recommend this product to anyone :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Jan 2012
I bought this product as my PS3 had run out of space and I am impressed with it so far.
The hard drive came first thing this morning with no damage to the box or the HDD, the HDD was secured correctly and couldn't move around at all.
With this being my first purchase from Amazon I'm glad I decided to join this service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 7 Dec 2011
Very Happy with Product and so easy to insert. I now have a 500GB PS3 for a total price of £50 and about 10 minutes of my time. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Reefer Rating, 12 Nov 2013
very good drive . was a little difficult trying to make it an external on win 8.1 but i got there in the end ..

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality HDD, quiet and reliable, 14 Oct 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I've no complaints with this hard drive it's got decent performance, quiet with little to no notable vibration.
Ideal as a replacement drive and the price is quite reasonable.

However on testing the Hitachi 7K1000 2.5" 7200rpm drive edges it out for pure speed (this ia a 5400rpm drive) The Hitachi has a bigger 32mb buffer and faster spindle speed yet still very quiet. I've no complaints with the WD500 though it's very decent and satisfactory for both laptops and quieter desktop pc's.

I would however steer folks towards the 7K1000 if it's their main boot drive and they want improved performance. The Western Digital is no slouch though and very respectable in it's own right. I've not yet tried the latest model so can't really say if there are any enhancements on that side of things. As it is a decent drive that's well worth looking at.

Will update the review should any notable issues/concerns arise so far so good though (I'm running a number of these and have done for a while)

5.0 out of 5 stars ps3 hard drive, 31 July 2012
P. Murphy (uk) - See all my reviews
excellent hard drive with 500 gb space for saving games, downloads, etc for the ps3. this hard drive replaced my 80 gb hard drive

WD 500GB Portable SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Blue