5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent capo for classical guitar
I've been playing classical guitar for a while now, and I recently needed a capo. In my ignorance, I presumed selecting a capo would be easy. However I soon realised there where several considerations:
1) Classical guitars need specific capo's. This rules out a lot of cheap 'electric/ acoustic' capo options.
2) Probably due to the niche market, capos for...
Published on 1 Dec. 2011 by black_cat

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it! Gutted!!! ...the old version was amazing, this is a cheapo copy!
I have two of the original design of this great piece of kit from Planet Waves (fine company, have bought many of their products) and here's the rub. I lost one in a hotel in York, I think, so ordered another completely forgetting that they had merged with a larger company who now make them.
D'Addario (for it is they) has taken them over and as ever seems to happen,...
Published 9 months ago by Dave Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent capo for classical guitar, 1 Dec. 2011
2) Probably due to the niche market, capos for classicla guitar seemed quite expensive, some costing £30+
3) My guitar has quite a broad neck, so I wanted to ensure the capo selected would fit.
4) They come in a range of materials, plastic vs. metal with a variety of materials for the 'cushion' to fret the strings.
and finally
4) Few of the suitable capo's on amazon had product reviews, so I was stabbing a bit in the dark.

So why did I choose this one?
Firstly, it was mid price range. Not the cheapest, but by no means the most expensive. If I'm honest, at £15 it was still double the price I would have ideally paid (being a poor student) but quality costs. I feared the longevity of the plastic ones, and it seemed like it would fit my guitar- so I took a gamble.

Did it pay off?
Yes- it really did.
The capo arrived quickly, after slipping it out of its casing I was impressed by how light it was but how sturdy it felt.
The cushion to fret the guitar is a high density sponge which seems like it will withstand wear and tear (though mine is showing indents alread- but this is to be expected). The capo is fitted to the guitar buy manually screwing it tight (easier than it sounds) and allows greater precision and is a lot gentler than those that just clamp onto the guitar neck. When I play with the capo in place it sounds perfect, no buzzing at all.

Over all, its a bit expensive but its a piece of kit that will last, sounds perfect and is gentle on the guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet Waves PW-CP-07 NS Capo Lite, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Planet Waves NS Capo Lite (Electronics)
I am a novice guitarist and have never used a capo before. However, I did a lot of research before buying this item. I eliminated other types after studying reviews and I am more than pleased with my choice. It is small, light, simple and very easy to use. I have not experienced any buzzing and the guitar remains in perfect tune. The device is kind to the finish of the guitar and will not damage it even with frequent use. Not only is this capo a well made and excellent product but it is also very inexpensive. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet Waves PW-CP-07 NS Capo Lite, 12 Jun. 2010
Planet Waves PW-CP-07 NS Capo Lite
I mainly use a Shubb capo, but this one is a really good alternative - it works well and is very light so can be carried unnoticed in a pocket and takes only fractionally longer to apply. Like the Shubb it can also be used as a partial Capo, leaving the bottom string out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best capo for flamenco, 10 April 2012
JohnT (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Flamenco guitar players rely heavily on the use of a capo. I have tried a variety of capos (G7th, Kyser, Jim Dunlop, Shubb) and none of them were that good: they didn't clamp evenly, hard enough or were too prone to wear. Probably the most annoying of the weaknesses was the poor or uneven clamping pressure which meant that if a finger pushed a string slightly out of alignment, it stayed there and created a large gap between strings.

The Planet Waves version is very different. It is very light giving almost no weight on the neck. (Low weight on the neck is vital in order to maintain the classic flamenco position of balancing the guitar under the weight of the right arm). Because this capo has a micro dial, you can turn up the clamping pressure to suit. It is designed to sit precisely over the neck with no chance of missing a string. It has a low fingerboard profile so you don't get caught on it. I have been using it for about a month of playing string intensive flamenco techniques (triplet strums, rasgueos, pulgar and alzapuas) and it has held all strings solidly in place allowing good tone and reduced buzz. It is value for money and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best capo at any price!, 28 Jan. 2012
M. Perrins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Waves NS Capo Lite (Electronics)
This is the best Capo I've tried, better than Kyser or £24 G7th. Its light and its easy to tighen it just enough to cleanly raise the pitch, without sending the guitar too far out of tune. No capo I've used is as easy to set just the right amount of pressure - and its cheaper than other quality capo's. Liked the heft of the G7th, love Kysers' cut capo, but for a standard capo your search is over!

5.0 out of 5 stars just the job, 19 April 2012
I wanted a capo that did not change the tuning on my guitar, and also did not chafe my fingers (unlike the one I was using).

This one answered both needs very well. It is quick to put on: pressure can be adjusted to suit positioning, and contact area with strings is small, so they stay in tune with no buzz. Smooth, low profile, so no chafe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tone, low maneuvarability, 10 Feb. 2012
Max (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Waves NS Capo Lite (Electronics)
This product allows you to get the perfect tension and doesn't impede your tone at all. Downside is because of its precision tightening (you screw it to tighten and can thus adjust the tightness) you're not going be able to play 'To The Light' by Newton Faulkner.

But now you know this you can't knock it! Great value for money, my personal fave.

4.0 out of 5 stars capo lite, 16 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Planet Waves NS Capo Lite (Electronics)
Perfect for what i needed, i can use it on all of my instruments, guitar,uke, bazuki, mandolin and banjo. This saves having multiple capo's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for your guitar bag, 14 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Planet Waves NS Capo Lite (Electronics)
I used to use one of the strap on capos but I left it behind somewhere and thought I'd try something different without spending a lot of money on something I rarely use. I've been really pleased with this one so far, it's still small enough to squeeze into my guitar bag and is far easier to fit and I feel that I'm less likely to damage my guitar. As other reviewers have noted it's very easy to get the right tension and there are no jagged metal teeth to take chunks out of my instrument.

Construction seems adequate and the screw is nice and smooth to turn. I've taken one star off because I find that in some situations it gets in the way slightly more than my old capo but maybe I'll around that as I get more used to it and I still wouldn't switch back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Perfect classical capo! :D, 22 April 2013
I love this capo! It is seriously perfect! I used to get the nice and cheap strap on capos, but after a broke two within a few months, I thought I should probably invest in one that is a little more sturdy. I'm a little fussy about capos. I needed one that would work with my classical guitar, one that I could move about easily and one that wasn't bulky so that if I needed to play over it, I could. I was skeptical about how easy the little screw mechanism would be to use, but it is a lot easier than you would think. And it is not bulky in the slightest! :D I love it! :D

Planet Waves NS Capo Lite