5.0 out of 5 stars 550D The best yet
Put simply this is the most important camera to be released in years.

What I find astonishing that people have spent £750 on a DSLR as good as this and complain about the video issues. I work in TV and deal with professional cameras and footage for broadcast on a daily basis and I can tell you with every bit of my professional opinion that this camera is...
Published on 21 Mar. 2010 by E. A. Haselden

3.0 out of 5 stars AF failure
Published on 20 Feb. 2013 by CS

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 20D REPLACEMENT, 18 July 2010
A Happy Chappie (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
After a couple of weeks my findings : excellent camera, high quality photo's, benefits (like all camera's) from good glass in front. Good, usable, movie mode, really like the 640 crop which is great for astronomy. Live view with a 3 inch LCD (crystal clear as well) makes it so much easier to focus, especially for those of us from the wrinkly generation and without perfect eyesight (note that the view finder provides about 95% coverage not 100% and is slighly on the dull side compared to a 7D with the same glass in front for instance). And masses of options, not least of which is live view, did I mention that I think that's great. I should say that I only use either manual or A mode on the camera so have no idea what the custom modes are like. They were very good on my 20D so I assume that they will be excellent on the 550D.

This camera was bought as a replacement for a 20D, got the 550D as I could not justify the price of either a 7D or a 5D Mk 2 and wasn't going to buy a 50D with 60D just around the comer. Couple of points to note however if, like me you are coming from a 20 30 40 or 50D. One is the lack of an LCD panel on the outside top of the camera takes some getting used to. I miss the convenience of a quick control dial on the camera rear, though there is a main dial top front which is multipurpose.

The 550D, though it feels very well made is certainly not in the same league build wise as a 20D. If you are used to firing off lots of shots in burst mode, this camera may not be for you - I very rarely use burst but did the other day and noticed that it's nowhere near as quick to fire or refresh as the 20D. Also the `clunk' made by the camera when you take a picture sounds `cheap' (hope that makes sense). Final point for me, I much prefer the size and brightness of the AF focus points on a 20D. They appear larger and clearer on that camera, more than once with the 550D I've had to re-focus several times just to see exactly where the `live' focus point is. That, of course, may be me, but then this is my review :-)

Overall great camera and I love it to bits, not least of all because it's so much lighter than a 20D....

UPDATE : September

After several more weeks of use with various lens, I have to say I am very impressed indeed with the quality of the results. I take photo's with both RAW and JPEG switched on at the same time and honestly find that the JPEG's are more than good enough for most purposes. The colours are clear and bright and the level of detail is a delight. High ISO use has also been a revelation, ISO 800 is more than useable and I actually tried a couple of shots outside at night with little illumination at ISO 6400 and both pictures came out well enough to see the subject clearly. Although there was a lot of noise I did not think it excessive, more like that you get from a B&W photo from a newspaper if you enlarge it, so still usable.... I don't have any L lens at the moment so am using a Canon 10-22, a Canon 17-55 and an old Canon 75-300 and I can honestly say that even when enlarged to 200% I have noticed very little, if any, drop off in sharpness, I realise that in part that is down to the lens but I never got the same level of detail with the 20D so the 550D must be doing something right.

If you want to see some examples of what the 550D can do, even in the hands of a poor photographer, there are a lot of examples on Flickr.

3.0 out of 5 stars AF failure, 20 Feb. 2013
Lovely camera which takes beautiful photographs but sadly I have had to return it. I bought it originally in July 2012 but had persistent and worsening problems with large grey pixelated areas in my photographs, particularly in poor lighting. I returned the camera and Amazon promptly sent out a new one with which I had no further problems until January when the autofocus on the 18-55mm kit lense suddenly, and completely, failed. As I had already had a replacement Amazon is now only able to refund me. I am disappointed that I have had two problems in what was otherwise an impressive camera. I am sorry to lose the camera but have also lost some confidence in Canon whose cameras I have used exclusively for over 10 years with no previous problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 29 Mar. 2011
I spent a month of my life reading reviews, watching youtube reviews and going into camera shops to try out cameras.

I started looking at the bridge cameras then finally narrowed it down to a Nikon 3100 or the 550d, its was just the jump in price that made me apprehensive until finally I made the leap and ordered the 550.

All I can say is WOW, its awesome, still only using kit lens and the pics are awesome, I can see how people used to using high end cameras might split hairs but if you are coming from a normal digital then you will be blown away.

More importantly your pictures will blow your family and friends away, we viewed some recently on a large lcd tv and they looked amazing.

If you are debating spending the extra and can afford it even at a stretch then just do it you wont be disappointed. I sacrificed a new bag and lens so I could afford the camera and am making do with my old college bag for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Impressed!!, 6 April 2011
In the past I've only really taken snaps....when I got home from a holiday to Bali I was disappointed with the photos - they were OK. I started looking through old photos and realised they are my history, my family and friends,celebrations, memories, faces of loved ones, happy times and me throughout the years. A friend of mine often posted photos onto Facebook and they were sensational and looked like professional photos. The Canon EOS 550D was recommended, I read the reviews on here and the next day the camera arrived. The first outing was dog walking to Ashridge - just reading the basics I took 65 shots - and I have to say for a novice they are fantastic, some stunning. I'm working throught the instuctions slowly and taking shots as I learn each section and it just gets better. Well worth every penny it's not just a camera it's going to be my life in pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Stills and HD Video in One!, 8 Mar. 2010
The Canon 550d is an upgrade from the 500d, a model that really hasn't been out for that long itself.

The 550d has a bigger and better sensor - The APS-C CMOS.
This new censor allows more light to hit it which results in brighter images.

The chassis is very similar in size to the 500d and still retains its light weight.

There's a 9-point AF system on-board, which locks on to subjects nice and fast. The ISO can be pushed up to as high as 12800.

Now, the tipping point for me in purchasing this camera was that it has amazing video capturing capabilities. You have a choice of frame rates, 30, 25 and 24fps at 1920x1080 with 60 and 50fps available at 1280x720 resolution.

The capture quality is superb, the footage you shoot can look as good as what you see at the cinema. It's to be expected really when you are using dslr lenses.

The only downfall of the video mode is that you can only capture around 12 minutes of HD footage at a time, this I have discovered is because of UK tax restrictions on recording equipment.

I really advise you to check out video samples captured from the 550d, you can find these on the popular video sharing websites. Your jaw will drop when you see just how good it is!

For me it had been a toss up between buying an HD camcorder or a digital slr camera, my budget couldn't stretch to getting both. The 550d is a great hybrid that allowed me to have both, albeit with a few compromises.

Finally, I almost forgot to mention the 3.5mm stereo microphone input on the 550d. Many expensive camcorders omit such a feature, so it's great for the cannon camera to have it. I personally have used a Sony ECM MS907 microphone with the unit and had great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!! Simply brillaint.., 7 Sept. 2010
The Canon 550D is a fantastic camera.. It is everything they advertised it to be and more. The body is really lightweight, has a good grip and balance making it a lot easier to use. The images are sharp, crisp and bright. Its definitely better than the Nikon D90 in comparison. The 1080p Full HD video capture along with its wide array of features such as choice of frame rates, 3.5mm stereo microphone, the APS-C CMOS sensor etc..etc.. the puts the camera in an entirely different league altogether. Move over entry-level, hello Semi-professional..

5.0 out of 5 stars My new camera....cooo!, 21 May 2010
S. D. O'Flynn "Errol" (St Ives, Cambs,UK) - See all my reviews
I had tentatively considered buying a DSLR camera and had spent several months wondering which one it might be. Canon seemed the obvious choice, after recommendations from everyone I know with any experience on this subject. I'd pored over the manufacturers specifications and had thought the 450d seemed ideal, but then noticed the 500d looked more capable for comparatively little extra cost. Just as I thought I'd made up my mind, the 550d came onto the market, with newer processor, far higher mega-pixel rate and capable of taking HD quality video AND for very little more than the 500d. The problem was that delivery would be 1-3 months down the line and I really wanted to get hold of it before my holiday, so I ordered it right then (Sunday night). On the Tuesday I received an e-mail saying that delivery would be sooner than expected and then Friday morning it was delivered. I only spent the briefest time studying the instructions before I was off and using it, so the basic functions at least are simple enough (here I'd like to point out that despite the spec stating that battery and charger wouldn't be included, I was pleased to see that they in fact were and following a quick run down to Tesco for a decent quality SD card, I was in business). The pictures I've taken so far have been surprisingly good, which is more a testiment to the wizardry in the processor and the 18-55mm IS lense than my amateur fumblings. In time I hope to learn how to use more of this superb piece of kit's capabilities and progress onto shooting in RAW. I've added a 55-250mm IS lense for those long range shots and results so far have been very pleasing, so if anyone were to ask me if this was an idiot-proof camera, I'd have to say that it is at the very least idiot compatible and I suspect very capable of much higher things; time will tell no doubt! In the meantime, I'm enjoying learning to use the camera. I'd conclude that this is a superb piece of kit and good value for what it is. Am I pleased with it....... I'd say delighted would be a better description.

5.0 out of 5 stars 550D Review, 1 Jun. 2010
G. Waters (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
I bought this camera as an upgrade to the 400D(4years old) and cannot put the thing down. As a hobbiest the camera has many options that a few years ago would be considered a professional camera(costing £1000's) with the added feature of being a full HD camcorder, being able to use the lens as well, although at 330Mb memory needed per minute you need a huge memory card(not available yet). The features/options this camera gives you are just stunning. I recently went to Istanbul and tested the camera, at gone midnight, hand held shots only at 6400/12800 ISA and was impressed with the outcome. Worth upgrading, not a beginners camera, you need to know something about photiography to get the best out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera, 9 May 2010
I have had the eos 550d for a week now. For the last month, Ive been doing much research to choose between the nikon d90 and the canon 550d. I chose the eos 550d and wow, what a camera!!! Sharp, crisp and bright pictures and the HD movie recording is the icing on the cake. I bought it more for still photography, and the eos 550d has surely delivered!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will the 550D make me a pukka photographer?, 20 Nov. 2010
M. Wheeler "Martin 1989" (South London, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera primarily because of the many rave reviews I saw on 'YouTube'. The Americans seem to love the Canon 550D (they it the 'Rebel T2i'), having bought it in huge numbers. The 'experts' claim that the 550D is a stripped down version of the Canon 7D, which retails for £1,99 in some stores. The 550D is not only good value for money, it's also supposedly one of the best dSLRs currently on the market for semi-professional photographers.

I have had a lifelong aversion to photography. My grandfather died when I was five and my dad inherited all of his camera equipment. As a result, I ended up being endlessly photographed from every conceivable angle. In those days, all the aperture and shutter settings were calculated manually using a light meter and a book of tables. I often remember freezing to death, bored witless, as I sat on a swing in some deserted wintery playground whilst pater fiddled with his lux-meter. By the time he was ready to snap, a dirty great cloud would suddenly have appeared out of nowhere and daddy would have to recalcuate everything.

The 550D seems to do all this tedius calibration work now in the twinkling of an eye with powerful inboard computers. If you are a total muppet with a camera (as I am), then you can just pick up the 550D and pan and shoot - simples. Every shot seems to come out looking glossy magazine standard professional quality, it's shockingly impressive, it makes you go, 'wow'.

Having said that, I know that the Canon 550D is capable of doing so much more than just point and shoot. Therefore, I've bought the book, '550D for Dummies': I yearn to become a pukka photographer using this extremely user-friendly camera. Maybe one day I will be able to overcome my lifelong dread of playground swings and lux meters.

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Used & New from: £295.00