5.0 out of 5 stars "...I Want More..." - Duetsche Elektronische Musik (Volume 1) by VARIOUS [Kraut Rock] ARTISTS, 15 April 2010
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
Working in a second-hand record shop in the West End of London, one of the questions we're most frequently asked is to be pointed in the right direction of a decent KRAUTROCK vinyl or CD compilation - with perhaps a little bit of Electronic, Experimental, Avant Garde and Trippy Soundtrack stuff thrown in for good measure. Well look no further music lovers, because this little sensation from Soul Jazz Records of London is the answer.

Details first - originally credited as "Elektronische Music" on 2CD card promos that circulated in March 2010, it was scheduled for Monday, 5 April 2010 release, but then delayed to 12 April and the word "Deutsche" added on at the beginning. For this review I've included track timings, the original vinyl LP each song is taken from and the year of release.

Soul Jazz SJR CD213 breaks down as follows:

Disc 1 (77:31 minutes):
1. A Spectacle by CAN [5:39 minutes] (from "Can", 1978)
2. Devotion by BETWEEN [3:46 minutes] (from "And The Waters Opened", 1973)
3. Dino by HARMONIA [features Michael Rother of Neu! and Hans-Joachim Roedelius of Cluster] [3:29 minutes] (from "Musik Von Harmonia", 1974)
4. This Morning by GILA [5:45 minutes] (from "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee", 1973)
5. Rambo Zambo by KOLLECTIV [11:39 minutes] (from "Kollectiv", 1973)
6. La Chasse Aux Microbes by MICHAEL BUNDT [8:30 minutes] (from "Just Landed Cosmic Kid", 1977)
7. Filmmuzik by E.M.A.K. [Elektronische Musik Aus Koeln] [3:15 minutes] (from "E.M.A.K.", 1982)
8. Morgengruss by POPOL VUH [2:57 minutes] (from "Einsjager Und Siebenjager", 1974)
9. Auf Dem Schwarzen Canal by CONRAD SCHNITZLER [3:12 minutes] (on a German-only RCA Records 12" single of the same name, 1980)
10. Rheinita by LA DUSSELDORF [7:37 minutes - Full Version] (from "Viva", 1978)
11. Veterano by HARMONIA [3:55 minutes] (as per 3)
12. It's A Rainy Day, Sunshine Girl by FAUST [7:26 minutes - Full Version] (from "So Far", 1972)
13. Hellogallo by NEU! [10:03 minutes] (from their debut "Neu!", 1972)

Disc 2 (59:56 minutes):
1. Heisse Lippen by CLUSTER [2:21 minutes] (from "Zuckerzeit", 1974)
2. High Life by IBLISS [13:01 minutes - Full LP Version] (from "Supernova", 1972)
3. Hasenheide by DIETER MOEBIUS [of Cluster] [2:36 minutes] (from "Tonspuren", 1983)
4. Fly United by AMON DUUL II [3:29 minutes] (from "Vive La Trance", 1973)
5. Aguirre 1 by POPOL VUH [6:13 minutes] (from "Aguirre", 1975)
6. Daydream by ASH RA TEMPLE starring ROSI [5:22 minutes] (from "Ash Ra Temple starring Rosi", 1973)
7. No Man's Land by TANGERINE DREAM [9:05 minutes] (from "Hyperborea", 1983)
8. Wie Der Wind Am Ende Einer Strasse by AMON DUUL II [5:43 minutes] (from "Wolf City", 1972)
9. Geradewohl by [Hans-Joachim] ROEDELIUS [of Cluster] [3:31 minutes] (from "Selbstportrait Vol.III - "Reise Durch Arcadien"")
10. I Want More by CAN [3:30 minutes] (from a 7" single on Virgin, 1976)
11. Soham by [Georg] DEUTER [4:55 minutes - edit version] (from "Aum", 1972)

The outer card wrap houses an inner 2CD plastic holder which looks like a mini-DVD case and sitting alongside that is an over-sized 38-page booklet jam-packed with knowledgeable details on the artists and the scene by STUART BAKER and ADRIAN SELF. All the great labels of Krautrock are represented here - Germany's Brain, Metronome, Sky, Ohr, Kuckuck, EMI Electrola etc - and of course Britain's Virgin and United Artists. The set was mastered by DUNCAN POWELL and PETE REILLY at Sound Mastering in London and despite the varying dates and tape sources; the audio quality is uniformly excellent.

The track choices are diverse and clever too - much of it very rare and hugely expensive on original vinyl - and while the usual suspects like CAN, POPOP VUL, TANGERINE DREAM and AMON DUUL II are to be expected, it's nice to see the piano and synth groove of Conrad Schnitzer's ultra-rare 12" single featured and the slightly cheesy but utterly hypnotic Kollectiv track in its entirety (SJ have gone for the more desirable full album versions in most cases). And Popol Vuh's short instrumental "Morgengruss" is shockingly beautiful.

Downsides - there's none of those gorgeous and weird LP sleeves pictured which is a shame - and the outer artwork of the compilation itself is genuinely garish (does itself no favours) and doesn't really give you any indication of the rare goodies contained within. Also - as you can see from the playing time above, the 2nd disc is a good 20-minutes short and both CDs are lessened by the huge absence of Kraut-monsters Kraftwerk - but I suspect that this has had more to do with licensing difficulties than Soul Jazz not wanting to cram both discs to the rafters.

For vinyl junkies the other good news is that CD 1 and 2 have been issued as 2LP sets on Soul Jazz SJR LP213 Vol.1 and SJR LP213 Vol.2 respectively with no tracks omitted. Each is a tasty gatefold sleeve and the full CD booklet is spread across the inner gatefold of one and continued onto the other. Also, because each is a double album, the tracks get the space they need to breath (I've acquired both because they're future collectables for sure).

So there you have it - very rare and hugely desirable music made available to a panting public via a great British reissue label. I can't stop playing it - and our discerning punters are absolutely loving it (I've not seen a reaction like this by the public in years). Genius stuff boys and well done.

For me, "Deutsche Elektronische Musik - Experimental German Rock And Electronic Musik 1972-83" is already one of THE reissues of 2010.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope... In a cardboard sleeve and plastic box., 22 April 2011
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
Over the last few months.. and possibly years.. I have found myself becoming more and more disillusioned with ('popular') music. I think this reached a zenith just before I departed from HMV in June 2008. My cd collection had started to become unwieldy again, and I was buying things for the sake of owning them. This I might add is not an uncommon problem for record shop employees.
Although I also might add at this point, that 'record shop employee' is sadly, a phenomenally redundant description of HMV etc employees.
So when you're in trouble you call on a friend, this one being Simon. He had been on tour as photographer for a 'super-duo' and I felt his ligging credentials were top notch. Plus the fact he's a top bloke with a musical listening history similar to mine.
So he suggested Deutsche Electronische Musik - the best (and maybe only) 100% quality early 70s German Electronica cd compilation there is. I hesitate to use the term Krautrock - but if it helps - there it is. This compilation is brought to us by the same people who came up with 100% Dynamite! Ska, Soul and Rocksteady - not obvious bedfellows.
I now find myself posting this because I appear to have been given some musical hope. I still cannot find anything new/contemporary that doesn't sound derivative or, frankly, beardy and fleet of fox... (I do like them - just hate seeing them on the cover of EVERY magazine over the last 3 months. Go away.).
So as a result of buying this cd, I have purchased some Neu, Harmonia and Cluster. I seem to like the Roedelius, Moebius and Rother stuff mainly, but it also has re-kindled my Kraftwerk love too.
I also recommend the BBC documentary Krautrock - The Rebirth Of Germany which features some AMAZING footage, and is so inspirational. It off iPlayer now but search YouTube - you'll find it! The guys just keep on keeping on. Faust are not my thing, but haven't deviated. Still doing their thing with great humour and artistic vision.
Get some of this stuff. Its not all easy listening - but Neu's Hallogallo is a great place to start.
All this stuff has made me realise we don't always need to keep going forward, when there's so much good stuff we haven't heard yet from the past!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Craftwork, 8 Jun 2010
Paul Millington (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because I've had a long interest in electronic music and wanted a way of sampling the music coming out of Germany in a bit more depth. I knew of Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and Klaus Schulze, but not a lot otherwise. This double CD is a low-risk purchase given that you get a very wide selection of stuff. I really like about 75% of it, a couple are just OK and yes there are a few weaker ones, which tend to be the longer tracks. Mark Barry's review gives you all the background you could ever need so I will just say how I found it. It is excellently presented with a superb booklet charting each of the bands and the rise of electronic music in the 70's. The variety of music genuinely surprised me. It's far from just a series of synth based sequences, with many beautiful acoustic and vocal tracks. It's a CD I will regularly play, and for someone who has no desire to buy everything from this era, it more than satisfies. PS it's also quite addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berlin in my head, 14 Nov 2013
Julie D (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
Beyond the odd Kraftwerk album and the BBC Krautrock documentary, my accquaintance with this music genre was limited in the extreme. It was a remembrance of said documentary and Mark Barry's excellent review here on Amazon plus a trawl around You Tube which finally convinced me if I didn't buy this set, I'd be missing out. Deutsche Elektronische Musik is fabulous in every way and entirely accessible. The music is diverse but all of it sounds to me like the finest soundtrack for the European arthouse movie that seems to be constantly playing in my head in between moments of mundane necessity. This music sounds fresh and contemporary. Not for the first time, I find myself delighted by a genre which frankly did not appear to be too highly rated at the time I sloped about the streets with a copy of NME in my hot little mitts. I recall back then Tangerine Dream were regarded as a bit of a throwback, certainly something that was no longer relevant. Ironic then that now this stuff sounds so modern by comparison to so much of the punk/new wave output from thirty or so years ago. The one thing these tunes will certainly do if you have an imagination is to let your imagination soar. There is a sweep and a long horizon about much of this music. It is clipped somehow, unmistakably Germanic, yet flowing, steeped in staccato emotion and a kind of grandeur. Of course Vol 2 is wishlisted already and I hope the folk at Soul Jazz can cast still more pearls before swine like us. Don't think too hard - this needs buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 3 April 2013
A. Skudder (Crawley, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
This may well be the best CD I have bought for many years, even though the music on it is thirty to forty years old now.

Not only are the 2 discs stuffed to capacity with interesting stuff, but the packaging is of a quality unheard of these days, apart from in those expensive 30th anniversay box set re-issues. The dics themselves are in a little plastic box the likes of which I haven't seen before and there is a 38-page glossy booklet that is actually worth reading. In fact the booklet actually blew my mind when I discovered that one of the more obscure bands on here actually featured the man with the golden flute himself, James Galway on their first album.

The name is a little misleading as it suggests the music is all electronic, but hardly any of it is 100% electronic and some of it features no electronic instruments at all. In fact this set features more jazz flute than an extended version of Anchorman but that is not a bad thing - one of the highlights for me was the intense flutework on the track by Iblis.

Not all of the music falls into the archetypical, repetitive image of krautrock/motorik music. Some of it is a lot more like American psychedelic music, some is like British prog of the same time, but, of course, motorik is there too including the mighty Hallogallo.

The perfect soundtrack to a long drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection and wonderfull music, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
Not all the great german bands are in this selection, but all the selected are great and som of them are really diffficult to find in cd format. High recommended "head" and "body" music,

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sampler for the KrautRock movement, 29 Oct 2012
Tony Jones "Tony" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
I was overdue getting into Krautrock so bought this on the back of an excellent BBC 4 documentary. This two disc set covers most of the bases as far as I can tell and includes, for example, the fantastic Neu track Hallo Gallo which I now see has been massively influential on Hawkwind and their offspring.

If I have any complaint it is that is more melodic a collection than might have been possible with less of the avant garde / experimental that I expected. That may be my ears given this is several decades later!

Well worth the investment to listen to

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant collection, 25 Jun 2010
David Henig (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
Like many I only knew a few west german 'krautrock' bands - Kraftwerk, Can and Faust - before buying this collection. I liked them, and I love this collection, featuring a wide range of groups and variety of accessible early electronica. Standout track for me was by a band called 'La Dusseldorf' of whom I'd never previously heard. A couple of tracks didn't work for me, but overall a brilliant collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Delight from start to finish, 24 Mar 2011
C. M. Drazin (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
I wouldn't describe myself as a particularly sophisticated listener but anyone can enjoy this comp. Agreed everyone who's even heard of Krautrock will already have Hallo Gallo but so what? it's a great piece and always a pleasure when it comes up again. The sequencing and sheer inventiveness gorgeousness of these two discs is just unsurpassed, even if some of the work isn't new to you as at least half was to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Krautrock Compilation, 13 Jun 2010
I. P. Hale (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deutsche Elektronische Musik (Audio CD)
Let's make one thing clear: I don't actually own this CD. However, I have spent a lifetime listening to and loving the music involved, and own the vast majority of the music on it (there are 2 exceptions). From what I can see this is definately the creme de la creme of Krautrock, an excellent compilation for someone starting on their cosmic roadtrip. It makes me wish that this had been around when I discovered Kraut. It contains some of my favourite tracks of all time, I can't really say much more. A FANTASTIC compilation.

Deutsche Elektronische Musik
Deutsche Elektronische Musik by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2010)