5.0 out of 5 stars Star item
I now have 3 of these in use as backup drives. A pleasure to the eye, simple to use and a reliable piece of equipment
Published on 23 April 2012 by Michael Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars Startech 2.5" enclosure
The item is pretty rugged and smart looking. Downside is the Firewire cable provided don't fit my macbook pro. (different shape). You would think they would standardise these:-(
Otherwise not bad bit of kit.
Published on 18 Jun 2012 by Mr. J. K. Shields

5.0 out of 5 stars Star item, 23 April 2012
Michael Howard (Newark, Notts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Startech.com 2.5 inch USB FireWire SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure (Personal Computers)

3.0 out of 5 stars Startech 2.5" enclosure, 18 Jun 2012
Mr. J. K. Shields (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Otherwise not bad bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's meant to, 17 May 2014
No issues. Works well. I've now bought a second one. I recommend this product. USB and FireWire flexibility at a good price was my reason for purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars USB Solid, FireWire problematic, 20 Jan 2014
Mr. A. G. Staniforth (Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was replacing my MacBook Pro's original HD with an SSD so I bought one of these cases to hold the new drive while I duplicated the current drive to it. I tried three times to do this with the case connected via FireWire cable and each time SuperDuper! failed with less than 5% copied over. I switched the connection to USB and the duplication went fine.

I thought the problem might be an incompatibility between the FireWire controller and the SSD but I having tested with the original internal (spinning platters) HD in the case and found the same problem.

Odd thing is I bought the same case in August 2012, put a terabyte 2.5 inch drive in it and it has since been working fine as a FireWire connected Time Machine external on my mother's Mac. Different firmware/chipset maybe?

With USB 3 enclosures much cheaper it's hard to see a reason to buy this if you can't rely on the FireWire functionality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 6 Dec 2013
I replaced my MBP 320GB HDD with an SSD and wanted to continue using the old drive as an additional drive, and this enclosure server as the perfect one.

Use it on a day-to-day basic and have had no issues so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars SATA Enclosure, 2 Dec 2013
Used the enclosure to clone a HD to SSD from my 2008 Macbook. Easy to install the SSD and made the cloning process much easier. All leads came with the enclosure and so no additional items to purchase. Construction is of a high quality which provides good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 18 Aug 2013
Well made case , simple to set up I would definitely buy this again. Screws can be fiddly, but using the right screwdriver resolved this problem

5.0 out of 5 stars whats not to like?, 10 Aug 2013
Andrew D. Hart "andyroo77" (Australia) - See all my reviews
Good enclosure with both firewire 400 and USB 2. Not rock solid but solid enough. Buy it, it does the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped for, but at least it works., 8 Dec 2012
I bought this to provide a firewire connection which would allow me to add to a 'daisy chain'. As it only has one Firewire 400 connector it has to be at the end of the 'daisy chain', or of course used on it's own.
It does work, and to be fair all enclosures which provide a Firewire connection are more expensive than the USB only enclosures.
Having said that, it does not have a quality feel, at least not to me personally. The main disappointment was that it was a very tight fit when the drive was added. Without the drive, the enclosure appears to assemble absolutely fine, but adding the drive makes everything a much closer fit, and there is a single component on the underside of the enclosure's circuit board which is in very hard contact with the outside of the case, and it is only after you tighten the assembly screws that it all looks OK from the outside. The fact that I know that there is a component hard against the inside, makes me a little concerned. Perhaps it's meant to be, but there is no mention of it in the instructions, so I don't really know.
As I said, it does seem to work well enough, but I wish I'd spent more now and got a higher quality enclosure.