5.0 out of 5 stars Exuberant, optimistic, upbeat - brilliantly happy prog!
Published on 19 Mar 2010 by Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Overly Impressed
Bought this on the strength of the existing reviews but it didn't quite hit the spot, for me. Rather too bluesy and didn't really come across as full on prog rock to me. Think Magenta and Gazpacho, sort of meandering along rather than the thunder and bombast of Pendragon or Arena.

Published on 24 Feb 2012 by Northern Warrior

5.0 out of 5 stars Exuberant, optimistic, upbeat - brilliantly happy prog!, 19 Mar 2010
Jim (South Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In The Wake Of Evolution (Audio CD)
The gloomy and doomy aspects of the modern world are often reflected in its music, and the world of prog can be just as susceptible as other genres to a walk on the dark side. So the exuberant optimism of Kaipa's 10th studio album comes as a welcome breath of fresh air. The lyrics are positive and hopeful, and the overarching tone of the music is invigorating, verging on joyful.

The dual lead vocals of Aleena Gibson and Ritual's Patrik Lundstrom play a large part in this. When I first started listening to Kaipa with the release of `Notes From The Past' in 2002, I felt that the vocals were the weak link - Aleena's almost ridiculously enthusiastic `singing her heart out' sounded overly squeaky and child-like, and Patrik's vocal style is also a bit of an acquired taste. Several Ritual and Kaipa albums later, maybe I've just got used to it! In any case, the vocal vibe is perfectly matched by the duelling guitar and keyboard interplay.

Per Nilson joined Kaipa on the guitar for `Angling Feelings' (2007), and he was certainly a more than adequate replacement for Roine Stolt. With this album I have come to realise that his `ecstatic guitar' style (shades of Steve Hillage circa 1976's `Om Nama Shivaya') perfectly complements the upbeat outlook of Hans Lundin's songwriting. Labouring the point perhaps, but I'd say the latter is a defining characteristic of the band, certainly in its 21st Century manifestations.

Morgan Agren on drums and the ubiquitous Jonas Reingold (Flower Kings/Karmakanic/The Tangent etc) on bass form an inspired and rock solid rhythmic base for the soaring lead instruments and vocals. With a line up of this calibre, you can be sure that the musicianship is second to none.

It is hard to pick highlights from the 8 songs that make up this 70 minute album - songwriter and keyboardist Hans Lundin has surpassed himself with the uniformly high quality of the pieces. Perhaps the oddly titled prog epic `Electric Power Water Notes' (17:51) stands out, but the beautiful folk-inspired `Folkia's First Decision' (2:33) that follows it is just as engaging in its own way. And as with previous releases, the production and mastering is absolutely flawless.

Those who have enjoyed previous Kaipa releases will certainly be thrilled with this one. A strong contender for best Kaipa album ever: coming on the heels of the excellent `Angling Feelings' it seems Kaipa are going from strength to strength.

The CD comes in a jewel case, with attractive artwork in a 20 page booklet that also contains lyrics and band photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic album, 10 May 2010
Andrew Leatherbarrow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In The Wake Of Evolution (Audio CD)
I hadn't heard of Kaipa until shortly before my first listen of this album, but I wish I had done because it's easily the best album I've heard in the last year. If you like Karmakanic's last album Who's The Boss In The Factory you'll find plenty to like here. Long instrumental sections, excellent guitar/keyboard solo parts, nice clean vocals (which come a distant second behind the instruments for me, sorry) then you can't go wrong with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Melodic prog, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: In The Wake Of Evolution (Audio CD)
I must admit when I first heard this album it didn't blow me away. But, honestly, the more I have listened to it the more it has grown on me. It is a consistently good album and I think, better than anything they have done before. Great melodies, strong vocals and some great hooks. It's an upbeat and cheerful prog album and I love it. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for their next release, no doubt with another new line-up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars plus !, 4 Dec 2011
I had become disillusioned with 'modern prog rock' then I heard this album. It's brilliant ! The tight, accomplished instrumentation, very clever melodies, and the excellent balance of the male and female vocals, The music is uplifting and spine tingling. Kaipa are the deserved successors to prog rock. In fact their music is far better than some old prog rock. I have played this album over and over and it sounds even better each time. This album deserves 10* not 5*. The best album I've heard in years. Thankyou Kaipa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kaipa-In The Wake Of Evolution, 27 Jan 2012
Makes 'prog rock' worth hearing. Complex instrumental expertise helps make some complicated pieces sound smooth and simple as well as melodic. Great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness for Kaipa, 5 Jun 2010
This review is from: In The Wake Of Evolution (Audio CD)
I was just about going a bit stale with my prog listening.

Then along came Kaipa. Absolutely uplifting and briliant.

A total Joy from start to finish.

Now for the back catalogue !

4.0 out of 5 stars The lyrics?..... hmmm....., 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: In The Wake Of Evolution (Audio CD)
The music is great but the lyrics could have done with a bit more work, almost embarrassing at times. Worth it though for the music alone, at the bargain price of 3.99 I paid. Kaipa are such wonderful musicians but on this CD I would have preferred more prog instrumental meanderings. Check out 'Notes from the past' as a starting point to get to know Kaipa.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Overly Impressed, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: In The Wake Of Evolution (Audio CD)

If your musical tastes are more along the lines of the latter mentioned bands, I would seek out and listen to a few samples first.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 27 April 2011
I have to say, this is simply wonderful! The music is clever, absorbing, and exciting. This is easily my most favourite Kaipa album, probably one of my top 10 Prog albums; a real gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most Intriqued, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: In The Wake Of Evolution (Audio CD)
Upon purchasing this album I was most intruqued by the front cover to begin with it seemed to be a picture of something that was more deep than just a floating island but I could not work it out then I noticed people in the bottom left of the screen but that didn't help either, And after I put the cd in the same thing happened, I was gently washed by a stream of pleasantly soothing proggy intricate music, and it was most soothing however I can't actually remember any of it which means it must be a grower, so I do remember being impressed by the musicianship, and overall sound of it and I am sure I don't remember simply becasue it is so long and takes a few listens to get in to thats all so bare that in mind when you buy it.

the songs are good from what I remember I liked the really long one I remember it caught my attention in many places.

but over all I think maybe it was too long or maybe it was just me

don't let that put you off though I just have a rather short attention span

In The Wake Of Evolution
In The Wake Of Evolution by Kaipa (Audio CD - 2010)