4.0 out of 5 stars Great live performances, 19 Mar. 2010
Ben Bottle (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So Many Roads (Live) (Audio CD)
I was not keen on the "? Live" CD set - it seemed somewhat limp. This, however, is a much better experience.
A collection of 'Morse Standards' drawn from his solo albums along with a bit of Spock's Beard and Transatlantic thrown in for good measure.
My one nit-pick is that Neal has a tendency to "get chatty"; something I find irritating.
That very minor grumble aside, this is a great set. The performances are often powerful and the playing, first class. The band, (aside from Morse), are what could be described as - relative unknowns, but they are very good. I think they are largely Dutch - whatever; they are excellent musicians.
The drummer Colin Leijenaar has been likened to Mike Portnoy - Neal's default drummer; I think this is a little over-generous, but Colin certainly has the power and ability if not the style and the panache. The guitarist - Elisa Krijgsman is also well worth a mention. The whole band work extremely well together and do Morse proud.

I'd been looking at the set for sometime but didn't like the price. At one point is was £20 + on Amazon - but for £13 (ish) it is a bargain buy!
Being a hard marker and because of the chat and one or two minor glitches, I have not gone the whole 5 stars. That being said, this is well worth the money and a very good set at well over 3 hours long!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Stop Listening To It, 20 May 2010
Nick (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So Many Roads (Live) (Audio CD)
I'm one of those people who buys everything Neale releases. It's just something I do because I respect him so much as a songwriter. Not being a great fan of live CD's, I didn't expect any great satisfaction from "So Many Roads" - actually, I just expected it to be a filler that would complete my Morse collection and hardly ever be listened to. Man, was I mistaken. As live CD's go, this one stands head and shoulders above anything I've heard before. Naturally, the production and audio aspects are superlative, but what really caught me by surprise was the unbelievable musicianship from this bunch of unknown backing musicians. It's beyond belief. I swear this drummer, Colin Somebodyorother is EVERY bit as good as Portnoy, if not better. (I know that's a big statement, but just have a listen and you'll see what I mean.) The same goes for the rest of them. They give these excellent songs their own incredible interpretation without abandoning the original spirit and strength of the songs. Truly great. Even though I've heard all these songs a million times, I can't seem to take this album off my CD player. One small criticism - I know "digipacks" are cost-effective, but some kind of booklet would have been nice. Other than that, it's a winner - even if you usually don't go for live DVD's. Great, great album from a great group of musicians.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic Live set list, 2 Aug. 2012
This review is from: So Many Roads (Live) (Audio CD)
An epic live recording. (How do they remember all the complexities. !?).
Neal Morse,a true musical genius, at his classiest, although vocally, he is occassionally challenged to hit all the notes. But this is a minor crtisism. 3 cd's packed with classic Spock's (At the End of the day!) and Morse solo sets / medley's.
The band cover the spock's material with consumate ease, and the production is fantastic.

I saw this line up in a small venue in Surrey UK and they were amazing.
Lovely package too in digipak fold out cover.
Highly recommended set.

So Many Roads (Live)
So Many Roads (Live) by Neal Morse (Audio CD - 2010)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available