5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing anime at an amazing price!
I watched this anim years ago, and was unable to finish it due to moving schools. However, the episodes I did watch were hilarious, fantastic, and super lovely. ^.^

Published 23 months ago by Joy

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrived very very late
It came 3-4 months late. I love this anime so much, it's so funny and embarrassing to watch. I ordered this when I was moving, as I wouldn't have any internet for a month or two, but after we got our new Wifi installed, it had arrived then. I'd recommend this anime to anyone who enjoys romantic comedies. It comes in both subbed and dubbed, but my personal preferal is...
Published 5 months ago by Ayshea

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing anime at an amazing price!, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)

So after remembering it, and wanting to watch it again, I searched up the box set and was expecting to face anything up to £50 for the complete series. And when I saw this, I was like, WHAT!! £10!!!!

Mega deal :) and the anime is 100% my favourite of all time. The order was delivered a day before it said it would, and I can't tell you be enough how super the anime is. It's the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars In this garden of romance, 17 May 2010
EA Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
"The Ouran host Club is where the school's handsomest boys with too much time on their hands entertain young ladies who also have way too much time on their hands."

Well, that's the basic description. But "Ouran High School Host Club: Complete Series" is so much more than just a slapsticky reverse-harem anime -- it's a charming little comedy series that's constantly awash in costumes, geekery, over-the-top schemes, and an adorable budding romance. Even in its more serious moments, it's utterly charming.

Haruhi Fujioka has just started on her scholarship at the elite Ouran Academy, and is looking for a quiet place to study... when she stumbles across the Host Club. The six wealthy boys there entertain girls with flirtation and elaborate costumes and decorations. The members: melodramatic and not-too-bright Tamaki, mischievous Hitachin twins Kaoru and Hikaru, cool-headed genius Kyoya, childlike Honey, and his silent stoic cousin Mori.

But when Haruhi accidentally breaks an antique vase, she finds herself drafted into the Host Club to pay off the debt... and only THEN does Tamaki find out she's a girl. But she continues working at the Host Club, and encounters some pretty bizarre adventures as she tries to navigate the world of the uber-wealthy. And when they aren't entertaining girls, the Host Club tries to help people with their fragmented relationships and troubles.

But just being rich doesn't keep the Host Club members from having their own troubles -- and as she gets to know them, Haruhi learns that the happy-go-lucky Tamaki has a tragic past that threatens to ruin his future. Will the little band of friends be able to help their "boss"?

It's hard to really summarize an anime like "Ouran High School Host Club" -- it's a big fluffy whirl of costumes, roses, over-the-top luxury, and lighthearted pokes at anime conventions ("Yay! There's debauchery here!"). It's just such a fun little show, and it's made even better because it's almost surreal at times -- Haruhi even notes, after an "Alice in Wonderland" dream, that she can't even tell when she's awake or asleep.

There's lots of funny goofy dialogue ("I never would have pegged the boss as an S&M pervert." "I told you! It wasn't like that at all!") and hilariously weird situations (the guys all dress up in over-the-top drag, causing Haruhi to roll around screaming with laughter). But there are some more touching moments as well, such as Tamaki comforting Haruhi when she's frightened by a thunderstorm, or the flashback episodes where we see how Tamaki befriended the icy Kyoya or the manipulative twins.

But the best part of the show is the characters -- Haruhi is a likably down-to-earth, sensible "commoner" who often seems weirded out by the antics of the megarich teens of Ouran. But she's slowly charmed by Tamaki, a sweet but not-very-bright young man who seems pretty confused about his romantic feelings. You end up liking Tamaki even better when you find out the truth about his family, and what a kind person he is.

And the rest of the cast is lots of fun as well: Hunny's cutesiness is a little annoying, but it's fun to see him kicking the collective backsides of a secret police force. Mori is cool (if underdeveloped), Kyoya is a delightful mix of insecurity and Machievellian scheming, and the twins are simply hilarious (especially since their "theme" is twincest).

"Ouran High School Host Club: The Complete Series" is a delightful, lovable anime series, and leaves you desperately wishing it would never end. Charming, fluffy and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Iv been meaning to buy this for such a long time, i know i could just watch it online for free BUT i have to forever now :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Loyal, Well Animated, Good VAs!, 19 Nov. 2010
C. DeCap "procrastinator extraordinaire" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
After reading the manga I had to have MORE. So I instantly went for this purchase. The price is good, the box is nice, and the disc-menus are straight forward and simple (perhaps not much for those seeking huge amounts of additional content.)

For those of you with HOST CLUB Knowledge: I was really impressed at how loyal this kept to the manga, sometimes scene for scene, all the while the animation was lovely and polished and never skimped on. I'm usually a huge critic on english voice acting because it's so easily done WRONG, but Vic Mignogna wins again with an awesome representation of Tamaki, also the twins are very well done, the voices were both unique and similar. The only one I have qualms over is Kyouya... although I can concede on what they chose him for, I just hoped it might sound more natural.

For those of you Newbies to the title: Now MEN, don't be afraid of the title,the overtly pink box, or the attack of rosy florals!!! This is very much an anime for all genders! It by no means enters territories of extreme shoujo-isms and gooshy romance! My husband was skeptical when I first brought it home but he's now looking forward to our second watch-through. The only thing people might squick over are the twins and their act...

Now if you've read this far and you're looking for some kind of...summary... basically an unwilling Haruhi, scholarship student with an unfortunately boyish haircut, gets indebted to the Host Club; a group of "good looking boys with way too much time on their hands" who serve tea to female students and generally spend their afternoons flattering the young lambs and dressing up in elaborate costume. Not your usual "gender-bender" as Haruhi never meant to look like a boy, nor pose as one. But with this pack of colorful characters tries to both hide and expose her "secret" in practically the same breath, laughs and chaos ensues!!

Watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great comedy anime, 25 May 2015
T. R. Alexander (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Haruhi Fujioka is a highly intelligent honours student who only got into the incredibly prestigious Ouran High School due to a scholarship. While looking for a quiet place to study, Haruhi stumbles upon the school's Host Club and accidently breaks an expensive vase. Forced to join the eccentric club to pay off the debts, Haruhi must work as a host and entertain a thousand girls, while keeping the fact that she is a girl herself a secret.

This four disc set includes all twenty-four episodes of the very amusing 'Ouran High School Host Club'. A reverse harem comedy, 'Ouran' is probably one of the funniest anime that I have seen with a good mixture of slapstick and romantic comedy alongside some surprisingly well developed characters. In fact, it is probably the characters who make this series so great with all of them being very interesting people with their own quirks and it is the episodes that focus on developing these characters that are my favourites. Of the characters, the twins and Honey-sempai who I enjoy watching the most but all of the main characters (and a few of the one-off ones as well) are great. The anime is based on a manga and while I haven't read the source material, from what I have gathered there are quite a few differences between the two here and there.

The set includes both the original Japanese version as well as the English dub with the latter being reasonably good. All the English voices are perfect for their roles with Vic Mignogna as Tamaki, J. Michael Tatum as Kyouya and Monica Rial as Renge being my favourites. Both the opening and ending songs have been dubbed into English and while the opening is reasonably good, the ending is a little painful at some points (Justin Houston can't seem to hold some of the notes unfortunately). One problem with the English version is that there doesn't seem to be a way to have subtitles just for the captions, you have to have both the captions and the voices.

Special features for the set are rather light, including only a number of trailers and some pages from the manga.

Overall 'Ouran High School Host Club' is a very entertaining series that any fan of comedy anime should enjoy and is easily worth a full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Funny & Strangely Educational, 18 Oct. 2012
Theo (Gondwana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I've often said that if there's one thing the internet has taught me, it's that human sexuality is vastly more diverse that I could ever have imagined. Well, it appears to have a few twists and kinks as yet unknown to me, because there were one or two places where this show did surprise me. I even learned a new word: "twincest".

Don't get any ideas now: this isn't hentai or anything. Not even ecchi. If you're looking for people to just whip out their bits and show them to you, you'll have to look elsewhere. Rather, what we have here is a gloriously farcical explosion of _female_ otaku sexuality. As such, it's less about the bits, and more about the relationships between the characters.

And yes, this show is very much a farce - one far too self aware to take even itself very seriously. It has to be, because there are layers here. On the one hand, Ouran High School Host Club is almost nothing but parody. On another, there is one respect in which it almost borders on becoming the very thing it parodies. Our female lead, Haruhi, is to all intents and purposes the only female in her world, since all the other female characters are either just guest stars or little more than cardboard cut-outs. Thus, cool and above it all as our level headed heroine may be, she is constantly surrounded - and almost as constantly hit on - by representatives of virtually every sexual fantasy that even the most... creative otaku fangirl could dream up.

Except, of course, for the fantasy that Haruhi herself embodies...

Fortunately, this show is just too clever, too gleefully pro-active in embracing its own ridiculousness, for us to hold a little thing like that against it.

Western cartoons seem so insipid by comparison.

Theo.

5.0 out of 5 stars outran host, 14 May 2015
I love the host club.

I was looking for another anime to watch as I'd just finished up samurai-x (the books, not the series but the T.V. series is awesome go watch it/read it) when I stumbled on this, I thought it was a bit girly but having read up on the premise of the show I thought what the hay, something light and fun.

I have watched, and seriously I'm head over heels for it. I'll be buying the books as soon as I have the funds because this was such a great show. it never strays to far from being fun and light. the charter development is nice and surprisingly interesting, like the Twin's. I was put off to begin with because of there 'act' but when I realised it was just an act I warmed up to them. I also love Honey, he's so sweet and adorable but the charter once you get to know him has a surprising depth to him. the whole Host Club is fun and lively and thou they have there up's and down's and cringe worthy moment's (there are quite a few) it's a surprisingly open and funny to watch. I like that gender issue's are to some point addressed but it's never taken too seriously, and not in a dismissive way, it's just not something to be too massively hung up on, thou there are shock's abound the show manages to keep it light and funny and thats what surprised me the most.

All in all I'd totally recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASDFGHJKL, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Well, what can I say? This is one of my all-time favourite animes! It's really heart-warming and comedic. It has very likable characters that you will greatly miss once the anime is over! But don't worry, we have the manga too which continues with this amazing story!
I love how loyal it remains to the manga!
The only thing this boxset lacks is all the extras the American boxset has! For extras-lovers (like myself) it is kinda disappointing but nonetheless, I have my anime and that's the main thing.

For those who may not know what it's about, here's a brief summary:
Haruhi Fujioka is an honor-student who's attending Ouran Academy - a school for the "super rich and beautiful" - on a scholarship. One day while trying to find a quiet place to study, she stumbles along Music Room 3 and the Ouran Host Club! The Host Club is where the school's handsomest boys with way too much time on their hands entertain young ladies who also have way too much time on their hands. After breaking an expensive Renascence vase she finds herself in debt to the Hosts and in order to pay it off she disguises herself as a boy and becomes a member of the Host Club.

I definitely recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, romance/comedy, 14 Dec. 2010
Emma Moore (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I stumbled across this anime just by accident, when searching on the web for shoujo animes. Upon my first viewing of episode one, I was a bit aphrensive, considering the host club members were all stereotypical in the way they acted. But I soon came to love it. Especially the moments where Tamaki talks of the host club being the characters in an anime, with himself as the hero, Haruhi as the heroine and the others as the gay supporting cast! The Hitachiin twins: Hikaru and Kaoru both contribute to some of the most funny moments in the series as well as the host club King Tamaki Suoh. Its a fantastic series, with the club getting up to more and more crazy things each episode, such as when Haruhi works at a hotel for the summer and all of the host club take part in a 'refreshment' competition in order to win the only room left at the hotel.

The only issue I had with the anime, is that the ending seems rather abrupt and isn't explained well especially when you have read the manga and so compare the two. Nevertheless, I highly recommend purchasing this series,though considering it is a shoujo anime, it will probably appeal more to girls, especially to those who love a good romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought back in 2011 for £16.99!, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I think i pre-ordered it which i NEVER do!
Because i totally love the series.
(Kinda similar in feel to Fruits Basket)

The only negatives i have is
A: i like watching my anime in japanese with subtitles..(i find the accents really annoying on the dubbed versions.) On the one i bought the subtitles aren't laid out very well..with some bits WAY too fast to be read by a human...so i have to rewind and pause rewind and pause. Thankfully this isn't too much of a problem throughout but there are some key bad points.
Also if there is any writing in Japanese that are part of the story they are not generally translated.
B. Without saying anything about the story, i felt the last episode let the whole series down... cramming a lot in without anything much really happening or being explained and not what i would call a conclusive ending...(i've not read the ending in the manga so i can't compare but i assume it goes on a little longer) So just don't have any high hopes when you watch that episode...

Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series [DVD]