5.0 out of 5 stars And I thought Revancha was a five star job
Published on 23 April 2010 by Nugent Dirt

2.0 out of 5 stars to me - disappointing!
I awaited this album eagerly cos I love the first two, but for me its a disappointment. apart from Panamericana, which is outstanding, it just seems tired and a limp rerun of earlier stuff. I think they need to get their creative vibe going again rather than just churn out the bland tracks on this album.
Published on 15 May 2010 by Mr. Tim Wilkins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars And I thought Revancha was a five star job, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
In a musical world chocka with bland homogeneity, acts that have an instantly recognisable, inimitable and original sound are as rare as rocking horse digestate. TGP are one of those. When I first heard Revancha it stayed in my car CD player for months. Deffo a 5 star album if ever there was. Trouble is 3.0 is even better so what rating to give it? The sound is fuller, more fleshed out with additional instrumentation e.g. electric guitar and mouth organ and featuring dub and other influences as well as the core tango sound. After several disppointments from fave groups this year it's a relief to find that my hard earned's been well spent at last. If you've already got TGP's other stuff this is an essential purchase. 6/5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Poised, dramatic & very much back on form, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
After feeling slightly disappointed in Gotan Project's last studio album - Lunatico - it's a great feeling to have them back on top form again.

Things get off to a languid start with 'Tango Square' but the beautiful sound of the bandoneon makes its prescence felt immediately. Next up is 'Rayuela', which uses snatches of sampled voices and has an oddly moving section where children recite numbers and verse.

As with previous albums, the best tracks are those which bring together the sounds of tango and Argentinian folk but underpin them with hip-hop influenced beats and tense instrumentation. 'La Gloria' is the standout here, which is full of drama and has lots going on within the mix (including crowd noise, football commentary, unusual little melodic flourishes). All the while, there is this creeping sense of danger and intrigue. 'Tu Misterio' is another great track - male lead vocals for a change, minor chords and a twisting, elegant melody.

'Panamericana' is more upbeat, with handclaps and a sound that reminds me of Dolly Parton's 'Jolene' (sounds an odd combination, but it works!)

Final track, 'Erase Un Vez' is gorgeous - pure Gotan Project magic, with an rich female vocal.

With 'Tango 3.0', Gotan Project seem to have rediscovered the essence of their sound. There is variety here but undeniably the strongest moments are those which recall the finest moments of their earlier work. This could be the soundtrack to many people's summer.

2.0 out of 5 stars to me - disappointing!, 15 May 2010
Mr. Tim Wilkins (London) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Just about worthy of 4 stars, 4 May 2010
Harvey Smith (South Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
If there's one outfit long overdue for a new album, then it's most definitely the Gotan Project. I've been eagerly awaiting [this] new release, and, after the initial listen I've mixed feelings about it. I guess basically, my issue with it is that the GP aren't really pushing their (or any other) musical boundaries with this album. Don't get me wrong, it's good, certainly not "a big disapointment" as one reviewer states and it has all the hallmarks that made 'La Revancha del Tango' such a classic. Stand out track, for me at least, is 'Panamericana', underpinned by a solid 4/4 and wickedly wobbly acid bassline, top stuff. Destined for many more plays and I'm sure it will grow on me. Worthy of 4 stars, just.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spicy tango, 20 Jun 2010
Hernes Per Olav "POHernes" (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
In 2001, the trio Gotan Project released their first album, one million-selling La Revancha Del Tango, where they mixed hot tango with cool, electronic items. On the beautiful sequel Lunático focused however on a more organic and live recorded sound. The Tango 3.0 mixes once again it's traditional Argentine tango with jazz and electronica, and this time with extra spice in the form of inspiration from the Mississippi delta blues, New Orleans, Nashville and side streets in New York. This is Gotan Projects New World - seductive and forward looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions not good, but loving it now, 30 July 2010
D. Laverty (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
When I had my first quick flick through the tracks on the CD I was not impressed. It wasn't the same as my other 2 Gotan Project albums - they were instantly appealing and very tangoesque. It felt Country in places. I like a lot of Country music but not in my Tango music. I have to say though, the more I listened to the album the more I liked it. Now I am loving it for what it is (instead of wanting it to be simply more of the same).

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant but not remarkable, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
More vocals to be heard as Gotans depart slightly from their previous instrumental formula. Pleasant without being remarkable, and still very listenable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing compared to previous CDs, 10 May 2010
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
I'm an ardent Gotan fan so pre-ordered this latest CD. It is good, especially the tracks La Gloria and Rayuela. However, I like their more upbeat music and most of this album is rather too chilled for me - I was hoping for more tracks like Musica Brutal , Santa Maria and Mi Confession ....So overall I am disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 years we waited, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
for this second album, and what a disappointment it is. It's still good as it's them but it's damn near identical to their first album! I was hoping they'd got something new to show. Good but not as good as it could have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as Revancha but good, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tango 3.0 (Audio CD)
I still love this but it's not quite as good as their previous album Revancha del Tango which blew me away when I heard it. I find it a bit less about Tango and a bit more dance beat centred. But it's still lovely to dance to and generally mood-enhancing music.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tango 3.0
Tango 3.0 by Gotan Project (Audio CD - 2010)