4.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed. Needs more dimensional detail.
This is a well-made and ingeniously-designed pull-ups bar. The clever thing is that much (most, probably) of your weight is transmitted onto the lower bar at the front, resting on the vertical sides of the door frame. The hooks that pass through the doorway and rest on the top of the door frame apply a pulling force on the frame _towards_ the user.

The stated...
Published on 29 Oct. 2010 by T. Costick

3.0 out of 5 stars Check your door frame construction before purchasing
Published 9 months ago by Neil Jenkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Check your door frame construction before purchasing, 24 Aug. 2014
Neil Jenkins (South West France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Powerbar 2 No assembly Folds to just 30mm With New Design door frame protectors (Misc.)
I've been on the look-out for a pull-up/chin-up bar for some time. I don't have room for a free-standing chin-up frame so have been looking for doorway designs. For the most part, the designs available require some sort of mounting on the inside of a door frame and I didn't want to cause such damage. So when I saw the Powerbar 2 I thought it would be just the job - no mounting required and I could in principle use it in any doorway I fancied.

It arrived promptly via DPD and I set about trying it out. It doesn't require construction and is ready to go out of the box. My first problem, though, is that most of my internal doorways are 84-85cm across, which is a tad too wide for the Powerbar 2, but then the Amazon page for the item does say "Fits most doorways 680mm - 800mm" so I should have done some basic research beforehand. I do have one doorway that's only 77cm (my loo!) so that was fine to try it out. That's when I realised I had a second problem. Fitting the Powerbar 2 to the door frame as per the enclosed instructions, I gradually increased the weight on the top bar by hanging from it with both hands. Then I heard a CRACK! The top of the door frame on the other side (from where the Powerbar 2 hangs) came away from the rest of the door frame (which got me into a lot of trouble, I can tell you!). My door frames have separate sides and top with a wooden block at each corner. Therefore, when a downward force is applied to the top of the frame there's nothing to support it and it pulls way from the wall.

So, there it is. The Powerbar 2 cannot be used on any door frame in my house and so is useless to me. :-(

If you want to purchase this for yourself, please check two things first:

1. That you have a doorway in your house that is within the stated range 68cm to 80cm.

2. That the top of your door frame is part of the whole frame or sits over the door frame sides (see the pictures of the man demonstrating it in the Amazon page to see what I mean) such that a downward force applied to it will be supported by the side frames.

I thought about returning the item and asking for my money back, but actually it's not the Powerbar 2 that's at fault. Regarding the door frame size, it's stated clearly and I should have thought about that. Regarding the door frame construction, it could be argued that there should be some mention of this on the Powerbar 2's Amazon page. Then again, it could be argued that I should have thought about the physics of it (being a physicist!) and realised the high risk of the purchase.

So, before you spend £30 for the item and its postage, make sure you consider all of the above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed. Needs more dimensional detail., 29 Oct. 2010
T. Costick (U.K.) - See all my reviews

The stated dimensions of the product mean that it will work for quite a limited range of doorway widths. Not a problem if you measure your doorways before ordering this item. However, there are other dimensions that need to be allowed for: the thickness of the wall (depth of the door frame) and the height of the door frame moulding. I live in an old Victorian property and _none_ of the downstairs doorways are suitable for this product. Fortunately, some of the upstairs doorways are OK. How to specify this limitation as a numeric measurement is a little tricky, since there is some variability in the angle of the apparatus relative to the doorway, depending on wall width and frame height.

My own approximate measurements suggest a maximum door frame depth of 19cm and a maximum frame height of 10cm. By "height" I mean the vertical distance between the inner (horizontal) surface of the door frame and the top edge of the moulding onto which the small arms need to hook.

What's needed is a diagram from the manufacturer to be included on the Amazon product page, showing a cross-section of a doorway and how the product fits, with minimum and maximum dimensions of the relevant features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 14 July 2010
This is the best chin up bar ever for the price and the convenience.

6'2 and 100kg and previously broke door frames with other products.

Also, with other similar products you don't get the height and you can't grip it wide enough and I need a nice high bar with a nice wide grip to be comfortable.

Once I got over the fear of the doorframe breaking and leaving me flat on my ass, as happened before with other products, I was very happy.

I don't give five stars easy and this is only the second time I've ever done so on Amazon. Just check and see.

Awesome! Fair play for designing this guys! It's awesome! My 6 month old son finds it very interesting too - when he sees his daddy swinging from the door. lol

UPDATE: I have reduced my review to a four star as, very soon after writing this I realised that the bar being a little thin kills your hands - I rectified this with a little bicycle handle tape though.

Also, the covering on the hooks that are on the opposite side to which you swing from, is a little flimsy, comes off easily and as a result, well it would happen anyway tbh, the paint gets scratched off the wall.

Still though, I would definitely recommend in spite of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 15 Mar. 2011
J. More (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I was dubious about buying a chin up bar after reading some terrible reviews about the telescopic ones, and being concerned I was going to either wreck my door or do myself an injury.
Having spent a bit of time doing some research, I took the plunge and ordered the Powerbar 2, and I must say it's a fantastically designed and built piece of kit. I'd read some positive articles about the benefits and results that can be achieved doing chin ups and pull ups, but I would say that you shouldn't expect to be able to do 10 chin ups in a row on your first effort.
I started off barely managing to do 2, then got up to 3, and it's slowly increasing the more I use it.

The device itself folds away flat for storage, and can also be used as a press-up bar by laying it on the ground.
I was apprehensive about lifting my feet off the ground and putting my full weight on the bar at first in case it fell off the door frame or snapped, but I needn't have worried. It's solid, and spreads your weight ingeniously across the door facings without leaving any marks or scuffs.

All in all, a great product at a good price (it was cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else I searched) and if you put the effort in you'll reap the rewards.
Delivery was prompt from the seller too, which is always a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product, highly recommended!, 5 Dec. 2012
I am from the former USSR and a big fan of street workout, specifically pull-up and parallel bars.
I am doing some contract work in the UK where no outdoor pull-up bars can be encountered, at least in my city. Hence the choice is either going to the gym (which is more time and money consuming) or buying something like this.
And... this is a SUPERB ASSET! It takes 15 seconds from unpacking to actually doing pullups. I am doing 5-6 sets of 12 reps daily, my weight is 77 kg. No damage to the door frame whatsoever and the bar is sturdy as rock!
One drawback - it's too smooth and hands are a bit sliding off which can be helped using some leather gloves or special tape or just a tiiiiniest bit of moist 5 sec before the set.
Also a HUGE DIFFERENCE FROM OTHER PRODUCTS is that the bar appears to be QUITE HIGH as compared to, for example "Confidence" product, so with my height of 180 cm I just have to bend my knees a slight little bit whereas with "Confidence" it good 20 cm lower.

So, highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent pull up bar., 11 Oct. 2010
This pull up bar is of decent quality. it arrived with no assembly required and stores away nicely when hung up in my wardrobe. i can only give it 4 stars, due to a couple of things:

1) the fact that there was no list of dimensions within the product description was disapointing because i had to take a gamble on the purchase. (for everyone elses information it measures 35.8" across - this means that it will fit doorframes up to 32") I would have thought that dimensions are the most important specification of this product.

2) the lack of foam grips on the unit makes it feel unfinished. the smooth tubular finish is hard to work with during a sweaty workout. I have had to purchase my own grip tape to apply - which is a minor inconvenience.

apart from these 2 points, its a nice, strong piece of equipment which im looking forward to using for many years... just measure your doorway first. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, not great, 11 Sept. 2012
This pull up bar is fairly good. The grooves which lock the arms into place weren't machined properly but the bar is still solid on the door frame. The InnovationFitness sticker looked a bit tacky so I pulled that off. One of the rubber protectors has started to come unstuck. What you'll find is the plastic fixtures on the hooks will damage paintwork so you may want to have these off and wrap the ends in electrical tape to protect your door frame. Overall, it's fine for the price and does the job as you'd expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bar feels really stable!, 11 Feb. 2011
A. Wood (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
Well, the bar itself feels extremely durable. The majority of the weight is applied INWARD to the frame, as opposed to DOWNWARD -- so don't worry about it pulling on your door frame.

I thought holding onto a metal bar might be a little hard on my hands, but it feels better than I expected. I might add a little padding onto it myself, but that's just a preference.

If there's any developments in regards to the bar or doorframe -- I'll update my review!

UPDATE MARCH 2014: Still works fine, doesn't feel like it'll be giving up any time soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for JUST pullups, 11 Nov. 2010
A word of warning to potential customers:

This is just for strict pullups. Any swinging etc. will result in the bar coming off and you falling on your face. I practice back levers and front levers on my normal chinup bar but wanted a bar for my new flat which doesn't involve screws. I bought this but as soon as I set it up it become apparent that you can only do straight pulls on this. Not a fault at all with the product and for what it is it is great, but I thought I should share this information with people.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best for Home Use, 26 April 2011
I spent hours looking at different bars, reviews, whether they would fit on any of my door frames at home, take my weight..etc then I took the plunge and got this one (better to spend a little more and get a quality product).

It works perfectly and is very sturdy (I am 85KG) but you must have at least 1cm (gestimate)thickness of architrave/frame on the top frame/opposite side of the door for the 2 rubber tipped arms that rest on the top of the door frame otherwise it won't work/would fall off. Also you obviously cannot place it on the side the door is hinged to, due to the bars coming across, so before buying maybe identify a door frame at home you will use (I can only use it on a few due to my doors being in tight corners of rooms..etc).

This is more a consideration/requirement than a flaw in the product and my friends have these too and work no problem.

You can also put it up and fold away in a couple of seconds would is good news for me.

Some cheaper bars require you to drill into the door frame, but this one does the job fine without - I would maybe use a cloth between where the bar meets the upright doorframe to avoid any rubbing/marks, but to be honest these have been minimal.

Better than I thought it would be, very good design, no damage to door frame or movement. Maybe thicker bar would of be nice, but in no way hinders the pull up motion.

Would recommend (don't usually write reviews).