5.0 out of 5 stars A deep insight into grief and relationships
I couldn't put this book down once I had turned the first few pages. The grief of Ali and Elliott is haunting, deep and feels real to the reader. Each character develops and changes both physically and psychologically, and the reader is taken with them.
Published on 7 Oct. 2002 by OllyOctopus

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Very disappointing, I skimmed much of it. The characters were like caricatures, very exaggerated and none were likeable.
A very trite story, unbelieveably silly.
Published 7 months ago by robertag

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep insight into grief and relationships, 7 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Act of Faith (Paperback)
The other couple Sarah and Trevor are fascinating to show how a dull marriage continues....in this case because of guilt. Erica James has clearly studied the Anglican faith to bring Trevor to life. And the grief of the parents when a child leaves for university was very well portrayed. Great book! Definitely recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Relationships tested to the limit........, 11 Feb. 2001
Although frustrated by Ali's decision, her faith in her friend and lover proves right as this wonderful story unfolds and takes us through some powerful and testing relationships. A delightful weekend read filling me with a range of emotions as each character grapples with their own problems and challenges. They are all likeable and believable and felt rewarded when their respective predicaments were overcome or resolved. Interesting and thought provoking comments on faith and some healthy arguments for and against. Loved the character, Leo, too. Looking forward to more Erica James.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant.Couldn't put it down!!, 10 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Act of Faith (Paperback)
This was unputdownable. Real characters,real life situations, I was desperate to discover the outcome of the character's lives. The author obviously has a huge knowledge of the Anglican faith and I found this very thought provoking. I was lucky my boss didn't catch me reading it at work. Only regret is I didn't save it for a holiday when I could have read all day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from the author who has been there!, 20 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Act of Faith (Paperback)
It was with some excitment that I bought the lastest offering from Erica James, but would it, could it be as good as her other books? I wasn't disapointed, from the first page I was well and truely hooked. I found myself holding my breath as each chapter ended, and that ' I'll just read one more,' went out of the window as I consumed the plot while house work piled high, and hungry children tugged at my hem. The descriptive writing of the Cheshire counrty side was accurate and wounderful, and memories flooded back from the years when I lived there. There was only one real drawback to reading the book and that was finishing it. Well done Erica, when's the next one due?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fans, chick-lit and romance fans will like this one!, 24 July 2007
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Act of Faith (Paperback)
This book came highly recommended by several friends, and having read and enjoyed a previous Erica James novel, I gave this one a go. I was interested right from the beginning, as usually when a book starts with tragedy, you have to read it all the way through to make sure there's a nice happy ending. Am I right?

My intrigue was to be drawn out it seems, because as the novel progresses only little bits of information are revealed at a time, so you very gradually build up a picture of what has really happened to get the characters where they are now. And they really are in a mess. Ali and her husband divorced following the tragic death of their young son and the consequent break down of their relationship. Ali's friend Sarah is married to a rather scary God-fearing chap, whom Ali hates. Sarah's daughter is starting to rebel against her father, and poor Sarah just wants everyone to be happy.

A tale full of twists and turns, Act of Faith is a book about relationships and how they affect people, leading them to actions they may later regret. It's also a tale of forgiveness. James has written some beautiful descriptions of Cheshire and its countryside and has created wonderful characters to live there. I'd recommend this for James fans, and anyone that likes reading chick-lit and romance stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Act of Faith (Paperback)
You really feel for all the characters in this book. It had me in tears one minute and laughing the next. I even got my Mum to read it and she does not "do" books usually! She loved it and can't wait for the next one - after she has read all the others first of course. She is now as hooked as I am. This woman can sure write. Can't wait for next one - so much so that I have it reserved and it is not even published yet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Erica does it again!, 15 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Act of Faith (Kindle Edition)
Ever since I read "The Holiday" many years ago, I have been interested to read Erica's books, and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. This was no exception, but I thought there was much more sadness in this one, dealing with bereavement particularly, interspersed with bouts of happiness. Nonetheless I enjoyed the read, and could identify with the characters and indeed have known some similar ones myself in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Again, I was not disappointed!, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Act of Faith (Paperback)
Having enjoyed It's the Little Things, I couldn't wait to get my hands on another of Erica James' books. I was not disappointed - in fact I couldn't put it down. Ali & Elliott's grief was palpable. An excellent read - I would certainly recommend it. Can't wait to start the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 May 2000
This review is from: Act of Faith (Paperback)
Being a fan of Erica James I knew I was in for a treat, and I wasn't disappointed. As usual, she manages to tear at the heart strings in one sentence and make you laugh in the next - a wonderful read. ENJOY!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Act of Faith (Kindle Edition)
A very trite story, unbelieveably silly.

Act of Faith