5.0 out of 5 stars Another exciting adventure with Ms Stackhouse and friends...
This is the third book in the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mystery series. When reading the previous book 'Living Dead In Dallas' I wondered if Charlaine Harris would be able to find realistic ways of writing Sookie's boyfriend Vampire Bill out of the action. This is necessary because his powers would otherwise leave Sookie redundant. I didn't imagine Charlaine...
Published on 22 Sept. 2005 by Stuart Moses

3.0 out of 5 stars Story is starting to pick up.
Finally I'm liking the series. I had heard that it had picked up in this book but after the last 2 books I can honestly say I wasn't optimistic. From start to finish I loved the book, I felt like Harris had settled and was comfortable with where she wanted the story to go, and it showed. It didn't feel like it was all thrown together, the character development was spot on...
Published 4 months ago by Stacie @ Beautiful Bookish But...

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars not my style, 12 Jun. 2011
thought i would like these books as I like it on TV but do not like the style of writing

2.0 out of 5 stars Going downhill..., 18 Sept. 2003
Dr W. Richards "wmr-uk" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Club Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the third book in Charlaine Harris’s Southern Vampire series. Sookie’s boyfriend, Bill, has been rather odd lately: distant and uncommunicative, and certainly not as affectionate as she needs him to be. And then suddenly he announces that he’s going away, he can’t - or won’t? - tell her why, and that if for some reason he doesn’t come back she is to hand over certain documents to Eric, his vampire boss.
Next thing, Eric arrives on Sookie’s doorstep and tells her that he’s afraid that Eric is dead as the result of a dispute with the king of Louisiana. Which - apart from anything else - tells Sookie that Bill lied to her, as he’d told her that he was going to the west coast. Plus, Eric tells Sookie that the reason Bill left her in the first place was that he’d hooked up again with a former girlfriend, another vampire. And that he’d left instructions with Eric to give Sookie a payoff.
Well, Sookie is, not surprisingly, furious. She goes, at Eric’s request, to Louisiana to try to find out what’s going on, and is assisted by a rather nice werewolf, to whom she is attracted - well, our Sookie seems to find herself being attracted to a lot of strange men, as we’ve seen, what with kissing Eric in book 2 and Sam in book 1.
Anyway, Bill, of course, isn’t dead. But - and this is one of my problems with the book - he has treated Sookie abominably. In fact, in this book I liked Eric an awful lot more and I found myself wishing that Sookie would dump Bill for Eric. Although I’ve finally accepted that Harris isn’t writing a romance series here, and there was far from enough romance in this book to keep me happy, there were some scenes with Sookie and Eric which were verging on the romantic - and Eric takes far better care of Sookie when she’s hurt (and even when she isn’t) than Bill does. Bill, it’s clear, is simply taking her for granted.
The book is somewhat inconclusive in the end, however, which does indicate that there will be a fourth, at least. However, I will have to read the reviews of the next book before deciding whether to buy it. Club Dead was unevenly-written, shorter than either of its predecessors and contained developments of the characters which I didn’t like - and I now no longer like one of the principal characters in the series. So Harris has some work to do if she’s going to keep me as a reader.
wmr-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 25 Sept. 2014
Quick arrival excellent read

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Jan. 2015
No problems, what I wanted

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct. 2014
Good product, good price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistency with Sookies age!, 14 April 2010
This review is from: Club Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
I am still reading through the book but I was really surprised with a very obvious mistake regarding the current age of Sookie.
At the beginning of the book we are told that Sookies parents die when she is 7.
Then that her parents died 20 years before the vampires openly declared themselves.
Then that the vampires have declared themselves 2.5 years ago.

That would make our Sookie 20 + 7 + 2.5 = 29.5 years old in this book.
But then Sookie states that she is now 26!

I was enjoying these books but since I read this I am really starting to lose interest. Is it that hard to keep your facts straight especially
regarding the age of your main character? I mean, come on...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Oct. 2014
moonwolf (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
brilliant audio book

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Club Dead: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
An easy read.

4.0 out of 5 stars laugh out loud, 30 May 2007
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
things are hotting up for lovely heroine sookie!!! bill has disappeared in mississippi and is hot on his trail to rescue him, which brings a new man into her life. now she has three men to choose from, who will it been in the end???? lots of funny episodes like a dead wereperson in a closet and sookie getting staked in a club!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Sept. 2014