4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative dark vampire adventure....
After watching the first few episodes of True Blood on HBO, I was enthralled with what seemed to be a darker, more humorous updated version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and discovered the series was based on a set of novels by Charlaine Harris.
I ordered the first four and read them within a week. Whilst they were markedly different from HBO's version, I quickly...
Published on 17 Oct 2008 by Mooji

1.0 out of 5 stars The hours of my life I'll never get back....
I feel I should charge the author for the hours of my life I will never get back. It was a book club book, so a must read. The only good that can come of this book is that it is a boost for the confidence of any aspiring writer, because if this can get published, then so can you!!
Published on 30 Jun 2012 by Nniaa

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars not my style, 12 Jun 2011
thought i would like these books as I like it on TV but do not like the style of writing

2.0 out of 5 stars Low-brain reading, 20 Oct 2010
I haven't really seen much of the series except for the the first couple of episodes (not because I didn't like 'em, just haven't really got around to watch the whole show yet). That being said I decided to read the novel when my friend bought the box set. She's a big fan of the show and also liked the novel so I thought, why not. I was actually looking forward to reading it, but ended up very dissapointed.

I find the novel poorly written, and not very good illustrated and detailed. The characters aren't described to good, you don't really get the feeling you can relate to them on any level, like you know them. Very Light read, I found my thoughts drifting away to a completely different place, and had to make an effort to focus on the act of the novel. Really doubt I will read the next books, not at first at least!

3.0 out of 5 stars for a quick and easy read, 5 Aug 2009
Ms. A. Ioannides-beer "angelina.b" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
At the begining i thought it was crap
and actually thought it was like a book written especially for a tv programme
then i realised it was just a quick and easy read
simply emotions simple reactions etc.

but i actually got sucked in and want to buy more
so 50/50

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good story, 24 Nov 2009
If you liked Twilight, you will definately like this. It is scary at times, funny and not as angsty as Twilight.

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame..., 14 Aug 2009
Emma L. Knott (Devon, U.K) - See all my reviews
I have never been so disappointed in a book. I like to think of myself as an avid reader, usually reading 2 or 3 books a week, and this was by far the worst book I have ever read. Everybody knows that to enjoy a book, you need to feel as though you know the characters, thus causing you to feel their emotions throughout the book. None of the characters were remotely interesting, esspecially Bill. I found the language in parts to be vulgar - not at all 'sexy'. Definatley came across slightly Mills & Boon. I think that sad fact is, I'd enjoyed the twilight books a lot more, and even though they're aimed at a young adult audience, would recommend these books to all age groups. Far more enticing and enjoyable.
Will definatley not buy any more from this series, and would highly recommend for others to follow suit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty terrible., 13 Aug 2009
Ms. M. E. Carr (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
I really found this awful. I work in a leading bookstore part-time so read a lot and with the whole vampire obsession and the rightful success of Twilight (which I adore and am not a teenager, I'm 20) I thought I'd give this series a shot as the TV show was so hyped.
I literally got to about page 30 and took it back to work with me. I hated it. I can appreciate the appeal to many who maybe like Lyndsay Sands or Sherrilyn Kenyon and for vampire fans but I disliked this book for many reasons.

One thing that has to grab me in a character driven book is a likeable or relateable protagonist and this provided neither. I found Sookie irritating, self assured (and not in a funny way) and completely soulless. Even on the first couple of pages does she descibe herself in a way which screams "me me me!". I understand this maybe a "tongue-and-cheek" style but I just found it annoying.

When Bill appeared I was slightly intrigued and thought it was going to get better but sadly I felt nothing for him. After the likes of Edward Cullen in Twilight, as a vampire romantic hero, I found myself loving him flaws and all after seconds of him appearing but I didn't care less about Bill.

The whole thing felt cheap and lazy. I think the only thing I liked was the True Blood aspect of it and how vampires were out in society as it was original but apart from that, I found it completely hideous. I saw one sentence beginning with "And" and wanted to throw it off the wall and found myself becoming annoyed at the actual writing nevermin the lame characterisation and the crassness of the whole thing.

Maybe I missed something but I couldn't stand it OR the TV show!!

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR TWILIGHT FANS, 13 Feb 2011
I am an adult reader who read and adored all the Twighlight books. Yes I fell in love with Edward Cullen and just could not rest until I had completed all 4 books. I was longing for something similar to grip me just as the author Stephanie Meyer had done with Twighlight....big mistake with 'Dead Until Dark', its vague, a little pointless in parts, very annoying in parts and to be honest I felt the author had taken ideas from twighlight and added it here and there. I dont honestly feel anything for the characters in this book, I dont like Bill (the lead vampire) and I dont care for her much either. Their is too much sex going on and its just all too pointless with a distinct lack of excitement, or story to keep me from wanting to read on. Definately not for anybody who is a Twighlight fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed to say the least, 27 Oct 2009
Ive heard so much about these books so i thought i would give them a try, and i wish i hadn't! The writer doesnt go in to much detail and it feels like reading something a teenager would write. The book just doesnt suck you in, i never got the feeling that i wanted to demolish the whole series in one go! In my personal opinion i think this book was poorly written.

It is by far the worst book i have read in a LONG while! I couldnt even bring myself to finish reading it... and i never quit a book half way through!

1.0 out of 5 stars simply dreadful, 12 July 2009
C. M. Davis "mimi-la-gogo" (ireland) - See all my reviews
this was a fantastic idea, wasted. it could have been something really special. but as it is i begrudge the time it took me to read it. i will never get those few hours back. . .
it irritated me, the lack of content. a storyless story. it's surface only touched. No, not touched. poked at!...
(HBO have clearly just decided to make True Blood off the back off the recent Twilight-mania).
but what irks me most. what i'm most curious to know is who, WHO was the publisher that deemed it worthy of print? who edited? but mostly, WHO was the proof-reader!!!!!!!!!!!? do these people still have jobs?

Sorry, i know i'm slatting this with fevour, but surely the written word deserves more respect!
lol

1.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, 10 Sep 2004
As a fan of other vampire horror such as the Anita Blake books and Anne Rice novels, I found the Sookie Stackhouse series unexciting, unbelievable,and uninspiring. The mystery is barely visible amongst the telepathy-related superfluities Sookie's narrative busies the pages with and the weak, underdeveloped characters, whose responses to the poorly-paced, implausible events are impossible to understand or relate to, fail to impress. The horror is about as horrific as Sookie's name is sophisticated.

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 | Next ›