4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative dark vampire adventure....
After watching the first few episodes of True Blood on HBO, I was enthralled with what seemed to be a darker, more humorous updated version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and discovered the series was based on a set of novels by Charlaine Harris.
I ordered the first four and read them within a week. Whilst they were markedly different from HBO's version, I quickly...
Published on 17 Oct 2008 by Mooji

1.0 out of 5 stars The hours of my life I'll never get back....
I feel I should charge the author for the hours of my life I will never get back. It was a book club book, so a must read. The only good that can come of this book is that it is a boost for the confidence of any aspiring writer, because if this can get published, then so can you!!
Published on 30 Jun 2012 by Nniaa

Altogether Dead
From Dead to Worse
Dead and Gone
Dead in the Family

This is the order of the main novels.

I have just finished reading them all. Some of them are, arguably, weak as individual novels but the overall story is very entertaining. I like very much that over such a large canvas the author could elect to avoid repetitiveness of plot form: quite refreshing actually. The enforced forms of genre novels and, even worse, soap-operas are really getting very tired and I would like to believe that series as naturally developing as this one can offer a nice change to the jaded pallet. The often referred to sex scenes only seem to occur in appropriate places and not in every novel: again this is quite excellent in my opinion. There are many frequently occurring intelligent insights and not a little humour. Detail regarding American life is present to just enough of a degree to be interesting without becoming tedious. I am genuinely interested to find out what happens next.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEAD UNTILL DARK, 23 Jan 2010
I really enjoyed this book it was like an Adult version of twilight a little more dark n dirty,I watched the true blood series which i enjoyed but prefer the book as the story is slightly differant in a good way though. I a now in the middle of reading the second book in the series Living Dead in Dallas which so far is proving to be even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you are looking for..., 6 Dec 2009
How do you judge a book? If it is by how well it is written, then 'Dead until Dark' would probably get about two stars at the most. On the other hand, if you are looking for easy reading material and are happy to let your imagination fill in some of the gaps and ignore some of the shortcomings, then as many others have done, you might even rate it five star.

'Dead until Dark' is the first in a series of books that revolve around Sookie Stackhouse, described as a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Though she is pretty, she has not exactly been dating a great deal as there is just one small problem... Sookie can read minds. Something that can be more than distracting when you're out on a date and he is pondering, at best, if you have dyed your hair.

She has been hoping to meet one - Vampires have 'come out' since the discovery of synthetic blood, but even though Bill is trying to fit into 'mainstream' living, having fangs is not a recommendation when women are found murdered showing bite-marks. Sookie soon finds out that being involved with him makes life more than just a trifle complicated.

I bought the book after seeing it recommended and reading some of the reviews. Overall, it was value for money. The book was cheap and I enjoyed it but I could not recommend it full-heartedly. Whilst I am lucky in that I can ignore a lot of negative points as long as there is an interesting or entertaining story, a lot of people will find it difficult to reconcile themselves with the shallowness characters display at times and the lack of much in the way of character development.

Bill, the Vampire, made little impression on me - Sookie's boss Sam, is a much more interesting character. Too much to hope he'll get the girl in one of the other books, I suppose. The shallowness I spoke of... the most obvious example is when a much loved minor character dies and once we have had a page or two of emotions running high, it seems to have very little further impact.

There is no accounting for taste some might say, but as I did read the book in one sitting, it was cheap, I enjoyed it and I am quite likely to buy the next one, it seems only fair to acknowledge that, hence my four stars. I would probably not recommend this book to men - it is much more likely to appeal to female readers. I also would not recommend that you buy this book for younger readers. One scene in particular is pure adult erotica (not romance).

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic start to the series..., 10 July 2009
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Each character is carefully drawn, and I genuinely cared what happened to each one; good, bad, human, other... I stayed up to 2 in the morning to finish the book, a sign that I was fully immersed.

I'm counting down the days to the next book in the series...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sookie Sequence Is Excellent, 10 April 2009
zmspbg "zmspbg" (Palm Beach Gradens, FL) - See all my reviews
Can't say anything about the plot that hasn't already been said. These books are an excellent read for anyone interested in this genre - a good mix of drama and thriller with a supernatural edge. Sookie is plucky, good-hearted, and always in some kind of trouble. She doesn't do too badly in the romance department either! Makes a great holiday read, but make sure you have more than one book in the series with you or you'll be annoyed when you zip through this one, and don't have the next to follow on with her story!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun, entertaining, 30 May 2007
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
slightly different girl living in louisiana meets very different guy. he is a vampire but they start having a relationship. murders in the town start happening so various suspects are looked at and i was surprised by who that actual culprit is. during this time sookie and bill (vamp guy) are having all sorts of relationship dramas including other men trying to steal her away.

new look at the old vampire myth, so a must for anyone who enjoys a vampire tale!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and Fun, 6 Jan 2005
I have enjoyed all of the books in this series. Coming from a very small southern town myself, I can relate to the characters and the "everybody knows you" atmosphere. No, the books aren't Anne Rice, (if you want a darkly gothic kind of book this isn't it)but they are well written, sexy,funny and easy reads that keep you turning the page. If you want to curl up on the couch and enjoy an evening in, give this book and others in the series a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 18 Oct 2002
J COFFMAN "Jackie" (Solihull, West Midlands, England.) - See all my reviews
One of the most realistic books I have ever read involving vampires.
Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress in a bar. In walks Bill & he sits at one of her tables. The first thing she notices about him is that he is a vampire (they have recently been recognised legally & live openly among the humans), the second thing Sookie notices about him is that she can't hear him. You see Sookie has a problem, she can read peoples minds.
This book has everything you want from a vampire story, it has intrigue, eroticism & it holds you from the 1st. page right through to the last. And leave you wanting more...

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected gem!, 31 May 2005
From the moment I first read about this book I couldn't wait to get my paws on it...and I was not disappointed.
The main character, Sookie, doesn't try to be anything more than an ordinary person who is a little bit out of sorts with the world. All she wants is a normal life but things have never quite panned out that way for her.
I found the humour and intelligence in these books to be truly captivating and I couldn't wait to buy the next one, and the next one!
For anyone who likes their vampires dark, brooding and utterly untouchable with no sense of humour then these books are not for you but if you like your vampires a little more realistic then these books will definitely hit the spot.
A lot more like Janet Evanovich than Anne Rice and that is high praise from me indeed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›