5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book
I absolutely love this book! I am only 14, but i instantly have become addicted. I have always believed that he was the greatest player ever, and this confirms this. It is stunning to find out more about Peles upbringing and how and where he used to play football as a child.

I am in awe of this book!
Published on 26 Oct 2010 by Alexcra3

3.0 out of 5 stars The story of an iconic Footballing Figure
It is no wonder that Brazilian football which has represented the best of the "Beautiful Game" has also produced the sports most iconic figure in Pele. He is known as probably the greatest football player that has lived and an ambassador for the sport the World over.

This is his story told in his own words.
Published 22 months ago by Andrew Fontenelle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 26 Oct 2010

I am in awe of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars ENJOY PELE, 25 Feb 2009
C. R. Prescott "Colin R Prescott" (Johnstone,Scotland) - See all my reviews
As Pele is my idol and having read many books on the great man,I was thoroughly impressed by this book as it still managed to give me photographs of the Brazilian superstar I had never seen and gave anecdotes I had not read about him before.Excellent book and good value for money form Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Have Been The First £60m Player, 31 Dec 2007
Mr. C. J. Davies (Brynsiencyn, Anglesey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was given this book as a gift by a very good friend of mine. As so many of us have only seen rare footage of this living legend, it's a difficult task on how to gauge his ability with today's current superstars. However, from the scenes I have watched, and some of the comments within this book, I can only imagine he would top the list that would include Ronaldinho, Kaka, Messi and Henry. Better than Best or Maradona? I'm not sure, perhaps equal. I enjoy reading football biographies, and this was no exception. So many aspects of his life is covered, even his early cahoots with girls, to his poorly managed businesses that cost him huge amounts of money. He speaks fondly of his family, especially his father, Dondinho, and how he was the inspiration towards his path to football immortality. A magnificent read, and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 6 Jun 2006
Gareth Mcconville (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This has been the best book ever written about 'The King'. It gives a clear account of his life and the hardships that he faced and overcame to become the worlds best ever player and also a good man. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves the beautiful game or anyone who enjoys a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The greatest player I never saw, 5 July 2006
D. Sheridan (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
For those who can remember seeing him play, and many who can't, Pele is to football what The Beatles were to music and Scorsese is to cinema.

To put him into context, he is the boy from Brazil who went on to shine in four World Cups, winning three of them, and scoring more than 1,200 career goals. In short, he is the greatest player of all-time.

Helped along by Alex Bellos (author of the excellent Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life), the book charts his progress to global recognition as the ultimate footballing icon - a player that epitomised the Samba ethos of the Brazilians with a grace and modesty seldom repeated.

As a tale, it faithfully recreates his journey and fills in the gaps before and after his playing days, but the real emotion is summed up by those fortunate, or in the case of Italian defender Tarcissio Burgnich, unfortunate enough to play alongside or against him.

"I told myself, he's flesh and blood, just like me." says Burgnich, "I was wrong."

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Pele: The Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
I'm a female footie fan but never saw Pele play. Still, I've read a few footballer autobiographies and thought I'd give this one a go....and boy was it hard going. The writing style is very dull and there's an awful lot of match descriptions. I know it's unavoidable but that kind of thing has never interested me as much as watching a live match.

So, after reading the first 90 or so pages, I ended up reading every other page and very much speed reading and just picking out things that caught my eye.

I've still not seen Pele play but I now know that he's got an eye for the ladies and is absolutely rubbish with money.

3.0 out of 5 stars The story of an iconic Footballing Figure, 31 Oct 2012

This is his story told in his own words.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive sports autobiography, 9 Jun 2006
Dave (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This long awaited autobiography truly gets to the heart of the man himself - an interesting story whether you're a footy fan or not. It's real page-turning stuff this, you feel like you're on a journey with Pele as he takes you from his humble beginnings through to his current status as global Icon. The stuff on the 1970 world cup finals is particularly good and it's packed with some stunning colour photography and has a useful appendix outlining his career and goal-scoring record - it proves the boy Rooney has a way to go yet!!! If you like football - get it, if you don't like football - get it, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for football fans of all ages, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pele: The Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Pele: The Autobiography covers Pele's life and career from his humble beginnings as a young boy playing for his cash-strapped local football team, through to him becoming the greatest footballer of his era and arguably of all time. There are some great moments in the book, such as one match when an opposition defender cleared one of Pele's shots off the line only to be booed by his own fans for denying them the chance to witness what would have been Pele's thousandth goal! Most older football fans will probably appreciate this book, but many younger fans who never got to watch Pele in action will also enjoy this account of what an inspirational player Pele was.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 25 Sep 2013
Such a good read. Took it on holiday with me and was glued to it the whole time i was there, although i finish it with 4 days left. When reading it you can actually feel like your there, scoring the goals he scored. Amazing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›