5.0 out of 5 stars Well done!
In the small Southern town of Gatlin, South Carolina, outsiders are not made welcome. That goes double for the new girl in school, Lena Duchannes, because she is the niece of Old Man Ravenwood, the town's strange recluse. But Ethan Wate finds himself drawn to the strange teen. The girl has been showing up in his nightmares even before he first met her.

Though...
Published on 24 Nov 2009 by Detra Fitch

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Creatures- not the best
Published 16 months ago by Yasmin

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done!, 24 Nov 2009
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures (Hardcover)

Though Lena wants nothing to do with the other students, especially Ethan, the guy keeps trying to gain her friendship. As Ethan wedges himself into her life, his former friends and school mates begin to ostracize him, as well as Lena. You see, Lena has secrets. She tries her best to keep those secrets and her powers hidden from others. Lena's sixteenth birthday is only months away. Unlike everyone else in Gatlin, she is not Mortal. Lena is from a family of Casters. As with all members of Lena's family line, the day she turns sixteen she will be Claimed by either the Dark or the Light side. No one, not even Lena, can choose whether she becomes Evil or Good and once Claimed it cannot be undone.

***** FIVE STARS! A breathtaking story of love and dark magic. There is much more going on than I mention in my synopsis, but to tell more may cause spoilers. I try to avoid that. Though the primary and secondary characters are mostly teens, I fully believe that adult fantasy fans will enjoy this terrific story also. The characters are vivid and well developed. The plot builds quickly. I found myself reading late into the night. As for the ending, I never saw it coming. Outstanding and highly recommended. *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't even explain how good this book is, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
If your thinking of reading this, THEN DO IT. Don't hesitate because you won't look back, amazing book so detailed and emotive. There's so much meaning and can never be compared to `twilight'. Please read turnip before the film, I heard the film has been quite adapted and WILL not be as good. Very very good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, 24 Mar 2010
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have just finished this book and I found it absolutely breathtaking. It has all the makings of a good story in the Gothic/supernatural genre as well as in the supernatural romance genre.

I loved The setting of a small town/county in the middle of nowhere which set the scene for no limitations (reminds me a little of the sookie stackhouse books in terms of its small town country setting)and which could definitely not result from a setting in a city. A lot of the book uses the fact that the close knit community likes everything the way it is, they like everything to be a certain way and most of all hate change. It reminds me a little of the town in the True Blood books which mirrors this similar concept. The little town does not know what hit them when the local 'shut in' Racon Ravenwood's niece comes to stay and a lot of strange things begin to happen. They take an instant dislike to Lena purely because she does not dress like them or act like them or fit with their perfect way of things and so the community alienates her. That is, apart from a boy named Ethan, who since his mother died has felt a little alienated himself.

It turns out Lena is different, she has powers and is cursed to have no choice in her future in terms of good or evil. Ethan becomes Lena's rock in more ways than one and together they uncover the truth behind her looming sixteenth birthday which is D day. With a quirky use of sharpie pen, time travel, jewellery, poems, the civil war/history and the supernatural, the book is filled from page to page with something happening. I particularly loved the Sixteen moons song; it was amazing.

The love story of Ethan and Lena unfolds before you even realise. Their love is something which is beautiful and makes you feel so much emotion and identification with the characters you sometimes forget that it is fiction.

In particular, I found it refreshing that the book was written from Ethan's point of you as it is not often that you get a whole male perspective from books and it was done the best I have seen in this respect to date.

Everything seems believable even though you know that it is not. I often found myself getting so caught up in the little town and its inhabitants because it was so realistic in its setting and characterisation. It is a beautifully unique and breathtaking novel and it has quickly become one of my favourite books of all time.

The ending is conclusional but at the same time not, it leaves you wanting to badly know what happens next to Lena...
I have heard there is a sequel and if so I will be pre ordering it as soon as Amazon release it!
So watch this space...

Cassandra220689

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Creatures- not the best, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have given this book 3 stars. It keeps you hooked and I couldn't put It down. I read it in 3 days so fairly quick. I like the fact the story is told by the guy rather than the girl which would have been too predictable. However the story is very slow takes ages to actually get going and the ending is very poor - was so disappointed as there was a lot building up to It as well - very much an anti-climax. Also I think the way it's written is very teenagey (and I loved twilight books and hunger games) but this came across very young. I am 24 but think it would appeal best to mid-teens. Nevertheless, it was an ok read and like I said at the beginning I couldn't put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather Dull Creatures, 13 Feb 2013
I really wanted to like this book.

I love pacy, well written urban fantasy written by authors such as LJ Smith (when I was younger) and Patricia Briggs.

This is not a poorly written book. The story told is not a bad one.

The problems are:

1. that the fantasy world created seems very dull, simplistic and soap opera esque;

2. there is just a sheer lack of pace;

3. the characters are very thinly drawn;

4. it seemed to me as a reader as if every time the authors needed a new twist they just added another magical rule to those aleady imposed on the central character and her family;

5. the authors appear to have added these "rules" without providing satisfying explanation of who or what obviously sentient being was imposing such detailed rules. Or of how the characters were able to interprit the detailed rules so clearly without seeming to have any material to assist with interpritation. There was a library and a central book of spells but the rules described (and revealed by other characters to the lead characters) were not tied to parts of the central book of spells.

Not an awful book - just rather boring. I was flicking through pages and pages of boring angst and very sub LJ Smith US High School stuff to get to the central story. When one eventially got to the tiny bits of story they were not detailed enough to satisfy.

I grudge the 4.99 I spent buying the book as I feel unsatisfied. I would have been more sensible to buy 10 mars bars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 15 Mar 2013
R. A. Davison (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
At the age of 31, I should be perhaps too old for books aimed at the teenage market, but there have been several franchises I have really enjoyed : Harry Potter, Twilight (for my sins), The Hunger Games Trilogy, The Chaos Walking Trilogy, and Julianna Baggott's 'Pure' series, thus far.

I rather hoped that in the Beautiful Creatures novels I would find either books which transcend age ranges like Chaos Walking or an addictive guilty pleasure like Twilight.

I found myself disappointed :

In Beautiful Creatures, small town teen Ethan, reeling from the death of his mother falls in love with an enigmatic and unusual outsider who moves to the town. So..Twilight in reverse. The object of his affection Lena Duchenne, like Edward Cullen, is hiding supernatural abilities.

Lena belongs to a family of "Casters" - witches and wizards basically, who have the power to cast spells. A heavy curse was laid upon Lena's family generations earlier, after which, unlike other Caster families when their family members come of age they don't get to choose whether they will be Dark or Light and are instead claimed by whichever side wins.

I really like the premise of this book, yet I found it slightly tedious, the prose didn't pop off the page, the dialogue was flat, and I didn't become emotionally involved in the fates of the characters. The Civil War aspects dragged the book down and could have been explained in a much quicker way.

When I start a series I usually aim to read all the books, but I was so unenamoured of the novel, that what I did was look up synopses on Wikipedia. What I found was that even with the fantasy parameters which the book lies within; the plotlines of the following books descend into utterly ludicrous tripe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book couldn't put it down, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book took me to a whole new world. I really felt a strong connection between the characters like I was within the new world that had been created. I loved the whole Romeo and Juliet story between Ethan and Lena. Can't wait to get my teeth into the next Novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Enthralling, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended by a friend I don't usually read this genre
When I started at first it wasn't what I expected and I nearly gave up but I am so glad I didn't

Twilight was good but this is in another league it's totally captivating and is a must read even if you are a fan of fantasy TRY IT you will never look back Beautiful Creatures

3.0 out of 5 stars Only read it because of the film!, 5 Aug 2013
First of all, I have no idea why, but it took me FOREVER! to finish this book, that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the book though. It was hard for me to get into, however in the last section it hooked me and the plot was more interesting.

To tell you the truth, I only read this book because I wanted to see the movie, and I gave this book a 3/5 because Lena kinda annoyed me throughout when she was always compaining about apparently 'knowing' she was going to go Dark all the time. (that's not a spoiler :))

Anyway, I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone who dislikes slow beginnings which I kinda do, but I reckon I will still read the second book when the second movie comes out.

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected so much more..., 29 Jun 2013
**spoiler alert** This book was so... disappointing. Reading it actually became a chore, which is never a good thing. I almost gave it one star, but, honestly, I don't think it was quite that bad.

In the back, it says that the first draft was written in three months - and what can I say? You can tell. It's like the authors haphazardly threw together a plot, hoped it would work, and decided to add in a few other things as they went along. There were so many holes in the logic, and I was asking so many questions throughout. I know it's a paranormal romance; the storyline was never supposed to be realistic, but more effort could have gone into making it believable. Or at least consistent.

The first issue I took was with Ethan. I'm surprised he even has any friends. He walks around all day, with that superiority complex of his, thinking he's better than everyone else (he doesn't even have an accent, even though he was raised in the South - WTH), and yet, his friends still call him one of their own. And he gives them all up, in like, one second, for a girl he doesn't even know. One girl. I'm sorry, but no teenager would be willing to give up everything in his life for a girl they just met and obsess over every day. It's actually pathetic how "in love" he is with her. When they break up for - what? A day? He falls apart. And they hadn't even been together for that long. And how he supposedly believes in her, and that she won't go dark? Why is he so desperate at the end, if he had so much faith in her?

I think that the characters were the biggest flaw in this book, I really do. The plot could actually be pretty good if maybe the characters had a little more dimension, and description. Nobody seems to have any personality at all, except for Macon, who I actually liked. But a lot of the supposed traits the characters had didn't add up at certain points in the story. I can't think of many now, but a few examples are how Amma wasn't even upset when Ethan died. Not at all. She wasn't even crying. And how Sarafine killed every reason that Lena had to decide to go dark. She killed Macon, who Lena was worried about killing if she picked light. She killed Ethan, who she said she would get to be with if she picked dark. Why? Why!?

Ugh. There are so many other things. I even wrote them down. I just don't want to talk about this book anymore. Just... no.

Beautiful Creatures (Book 1)
3.66