5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a bang!
After nearly a 2 year wait the awesome Matthew Reilly is back with the third Jack West Jnr book, The Five Greatest Warriors.

The big question is was it worth the wait?

The big answer is a resounding YES!

Published on 9 Jan. 2010 by Ben Peyton

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the edge
Published on 18 Feb. 2010 by M. Higgs

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a bang!, 9 Jan. 2010

The big question is was it worth the wait?

The big answer is a resounding YES!

I've read a lot of action / adventure books over the last year by various authors including Andy McDermott, James Rollins, Scott Mariani and James Twining (all of whom are excellent) but, this was the best by far.

As with previous Matthew Reilly books the action is relentless, the set-pieces extreme and the plot full of twists and turns. You might just give yourself an RSI by turning the pages so fast to see what happens next.

I was worried that after 2 years I would've forgotten the plot from The Seven Ancient Wonders and The Six Sacred Stones but there's a handy synopsis at the start to refresh your memory. All the old characters are back with a few new ones thrown in. Some literally. The locations are diverse, the historical characters chosen might make you think and all the loose ends are tied up nicely. Or are they......?!

I'm not going to spoil the story for you as I don't want to give anything away. It's just a treat from start to finish. I wish I could go back and read it again to experience the thrill I had when I started originally.

Please don't leave it as long for the next one Matthew!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the edge, 18 Feb. 2010
M. Higgs (London UK) - See all my reviews
I have been a long time fan of MR ever since I picked up an unheard of book called Ice Station whilst traveling round Australia a few years ago, I was instantly hooked by the non stop frenetic pace of the story. The same can be said for several other books written my Reilly such as Contest, Area 7, Temple & Scarecrow. Now while I have enjoyed the Jack West Jr series (in particular 7 Ancient Wonders) I felt that there was a little something lacking.....having completed 5GW I know what that something is "Believe-ability", now I am willing to suspend belief for a lot of the action sequences as they are so much fun but for me it's the constant strokes of luck that I found lacked credibility (I won't detail them as I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it yet). The fact is that when reading other Reilly books I was genuinely gripped at what might happen next and in particular who might die (Reilly has no qualms about killing off MAJOR characters) but with this series I felt that whatever happened by some fluke of luck they'd get away with it, this lack of tension took away a lot of the fun. Having said all this I still enjoyed the book and would advise anyone who liked Reilly's other efforts to read this, but be warned it aint no Ice Station !

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 8 April 2010
J. Lockwood (Bedford) - See all my reviews
Firstly be aware this is the final book of a trilogy, though this wasn't always obvious from the way book 2 was released, so make sure you read at least the 2nd one (six sacred stones) first else this one will seem somewhat disjointed.

As with all Matthew Reilly books you have to just sit back and enjoy the action and don't get too worried about the liberties being taken with history and historical artefacts. If you are looking for an educational tome you are looking at the wrong author - if you are looking for a book to entertain you thoroughly, have you gripped to the very last page and to leave you feeling sad that the adventure has ended then this is the right series of books for you.

Yes some of the plot locations are farfetched, and yes I can't think of many major historical figures that don't appear at some point in this trilogy but do I care? No, because the book is pure escapism and can reduce a long train commute to mere minutes whilst you become so absorbed and anxious to know what happens next.

I await the next four books with great anticipation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great action fun...but no brain required., 12 Jun. 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Review

If you are a fan of Reillys books then you will know what to expects. Lots of thrills, adventure, explosions, cliff hangers and tension. Matthew Reilly really is one of the masters of this adventure thriller genre, up there with clive cussler.
For those purists of Historical fiction who shun this type of work as inacurate trash, you should look at the amount of factual research put into this and all of MR's books, as he himself writes at the end of this title, there is 85% fact and 15% fiction he just does not tell you which is which, he just blends the 2 like a master, and thats what makes him so good at this type of writing.

in summary this book is great fun just dont take your history exam based on what you read. But if you want a great action movie in a book then look no further. If hollywood does not start snapping up the Jack west Jnr series soon then there is something very very wrong going on in tinsel town.
(Parm)

4.0 out of 5 stars Did anyone else notice!!!, 21 Aug. 2010
Huge fan of Matthew Reilly since reading Contest about 10 years ago. Was quite a wait to see if Jack survived the fall at the end of Six Sacred Stones, which, of course, he did. His books are certainly action packed, although I do think he takes quite a long time to get to the climax and then its suddenly ended. Hope there is going to be a Four something.

Other reviewers have described the book far better than I could, but I wondered if anyone else had noticed the error on the cover of the hard back version. As we know Jack had a titanium arm but the illustration clearly shows two perfectly normal "human" arms!!!!

Noticed that the cover of the version sold in New Zealand and Australia was different. Read the first few chapters of this book standing in Borders whilst on holiday and then got the book when I arrived home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr All Action, 9 May 2011
I've been an avid reader since I was a child and it saddens me that the digital age seems to have created so many non readers. Watching a DVD is all very well but so much artistic licence is taken that the film often bears little relation to the original book, with alternative endings and a ton of really good stuff left out perhaps due to time constraints. So if you enjoyed a film then pick up the book and test my ravings!! Ok, that's me of the pedestal and onto the book.

Often I find that writer's have a relatively thin plot which is padded out to create a full length novel and that seems to hold true for many of the so called best sellers, it's a real treat for me to find an Author who has put absolutely everything into the plot and doesn't disappoint. The Five Greatest Warriors is the last in a trilogy of books charting the adventures of Jack West Jr and his team attempting to save the world from total extinction. Right from the off its action all the way with excellent characters and superb imagery assisted with drawings to help clarify. If you like the kind of tales that Clive Cussler writes then you will love this. Our Sun has a deadly twin who's gravitational influence will destroy all life on our planet if six machines that were created by an unknown ancient civilisation are not all switched on at precise times. Simple enough!! Except you don't know where the machines are located, and when you find one it's protected by an incredible death trap maze and each one is totally different, even Indiana Jones would struggle with these. Add in that each machine needs a pillar of diamond to activate it and whoever places the pillar receives a gift of incredible knowledge and you can see why there are many interested parties trying to get there first. One of which is Jack West's Dad, a lovely all American gung ho nasty that is intent on killing his own son. There are betrayals; evil nasty's that make James Bonds adversaries look like pussies and a multitude of twists and turns. One of those books that you just can't put down. Take my advice and read all three, "Seven Ancient Wonders", "Six Sacred Stones", and then this one "Five Greatest Warriors" You won't be disappointed. Way to go Matthew Reilly, right now you're the man - keep it up, oh and you can email me Matthew for instructions on where to send the check!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Is the scale beyond the author??, 14 Feb. 2010
D. Wilson "jazzydunc" (UK) - See all my reviews
Firstly, I have to say that I have been a BIG fan of Matthew Reilly for a long time, and I have had to think long and hard about what it is about his more recent books that is turning me off. For me Ice Station and Area 7 are still 2 of the most intense action filled books I have read, and I still don't think that many more measure up in terms of thrills.

However ever since Scarecrow, the books have been on a larger and larger scale, with the action being extreme, but there not really being the same sense of danger or action as there is in the more claustrophobic settings of the better books. It a bit disappointing that Matthew R has taken on a view that larger explosion=better action. This is not the case.

This book is a welcome end to the story that he started, and the action is very good. However, just as you start to get involved with a scenario, it ends (very much an anti-climax). You can see the difficulty he has had with the constant pictures placed in the book to help put a scene in the reader's mind. Compare this to his earlier work, whilst there were a few pics, the words themselves jumped off the page and left you breathless wanting more.

I really hope that Matthew will return more to his older ways in due course, as his books are in serious danger of almost making fun of themselves (and the loyal readers).

As a final point I wish he would stop puting things in italics to try to emphasise action or something dangerous - please credit your readers with the ability to actually understand these points for themselves. These are actually off putting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5 Greatest Warriors, 5 Mar. 2010
This book more than makes up for the long wait for a great Jack West book.
Since "7 wonders", the story sort of dragged through "6" and we certainly expected the cliffhanger...BANG style of Riley to return the Huntsman to us for "5".
The story certainly is more grown up than the other two, oddly the dialogue is a bit age and person inappropriate... it almost on occasion degenerates to a "duh, dude.." rendition from a very post-adolescent West.
But the pace is the Excellent page-ripping, heart-pounding stuff we've come to know and love.
All too soon this book was over!
We learned, loved, lost and loathed in delightful proportion- with a marvellous sensitivity for the ancient relics and rites being battered by the suspension of disbelief. This balance is what Dan Brown has failed time and again to achieve, yet Riley does this consistently... effortlessly.

While he'll continue to struggle to get on the NYT Best-seller top ten list, we who know continue to appreciate the light and humorous, surprisingly well-researched fiction of Matthew Riley.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, 24 Jan. 2010
L. Deakin (England) - See all my reviews
I received this book yesterday at 10.30am and finished it at 8.00am today. I rarely will read through a book ignoring all else but after waiting two years its rude not to. Excellent book, disappointed that Matthew Reilly cancelled the book tour this month, but with a book like this I can forgive him.

5.0 out of 5 stars another end of the world story, 4 Feb. 2010
This is a great comback from MR and great 3rd concluding part of action pack hero Jack West Jr. Some what similar to Indiana Jones who had his 3rd adventure with his dad. This book will tells us more about Jack Snr and Jnr.

The end of the world will to come unless if Jack and the team could make trips to Japan, Russia, South Africa and many other parts of the world in search of pillar and vertex point and the right day and time.

There are a few more bad guys in this book to add up the difficulty of Jack's ability to turn it around to his own and loyality to his team. There is decision to be made at the end which will determine the course of the future of mankind.

I totally enjoy this work of MR, and will read the first again now since the trilogy has been written. 5 Stars

The Five Greatest Warriors