5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a bang!
After nearly a 2 year wait the awesome Matthew Reilly is back with the third Jack West Jnr book, The Five Greatest Warriors.

The big question is was it worth the wait?

The big answer is a resounding YES!

Published on 9 Jan 2010 by Ben Peyton

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the edge
Published on 18 Feb 2010 by M. Higgs

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a bang!, 9 Jan 2010

The big question is was it worth the wait?

The big answer is a resounding YES!

I've read a lot of action / adventure books over the last year by various authors including Andy McDermott, James Rollins, Scott Mariani and James Twining (all of whom are excellent) but, this was the best by far.

As with previous Matthew Reilly books the action is relentless, the set-pieces extreme and the plot full of twists and turns. You might just give yourself an RSI by turning the pages so fast to see what happens next.

I was worried that after 2 years I would've forgotten the plot from The Seven Ancient Wonders and The Six Sacred Stones but there's a handy synopsis at the start to refresh your memory. All the old characters are back with a few new ones thrown in. Some literally. The locations are diverse, the historical characters chosen might make you think and all the loose ends are tied up nicely. Or are they......?!

I'm not going to spoil the story for you as I don't want to give anything away. It's just a treat from start to finish. I wish I could go back and read it again to experience the thrill I had when I started originally.

Please don't leave it as long for the next one Matthew!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the edge, 18 Feb 2010
M. Higgs (London UK) - See all my reviews
I have been a long time fan of MR ever since I picked up an unheard of book called Ice Station whilst traveling round Australia a few years ago, I was instantly hooked by the non stop frenetic pace of the story. The same can be said for several other books written my Reilly such as Contest, Area 7, Temple & Scarecrow. Now while I have enjoyed the Jack West Jr series (in particular 7 Ancient Wonders) I felt that there was a little something lacking.....having completed 5GW I know what that something is "Believe-ability", now I am willing to suspend belief for a lot of the action sequences as they are so much fun but for me it's the constant strokes of luck that I found lacked credibility (I won't detail them as I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it yet). The fact is that when reading other Reilly books I was genuinely gripped at what might happen next and in particular who might die (Reilly has no qualms about killing off MAJOR characters) but with this series I felt that whatever happened by some fluke of luck they'd get away with it, this lack of tension took away a lot of the fun. Having said all this I still enjoyed the book and would advise anyone who liked Reilly's other efforts to read this, but be warned it aint no Ice Station !

4.0 out of 5 stars Great action fun...but no brain required., 12 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Review

If you are a fan of Reillys books then you will know what to expects. Lots of thrills, adventure, explosions, cliff hangers and tension. Matthew Reilly really is one of the masters of this adventure thriller genre, up there with clive cussler.
For those purists of Historical fiction who shun this type of work as inacurate trash, you should look at the amount of factual research put into this and all of MR's books, as he himself writes at the end of this title, there is 85% fact and 15% fiction he just does not tell you which is which, he just blends the 2 like a master, and thats what makes him so good at this type of writing.

in summary this book is great fun just dont take your history exam based on what you read. But if you want a great action movie in a book then look no further. If hollywood does not start snapping up the Jack west Jnr series soon then there is something very very wrong going on in tinsel town.
(Parm)

4.0 out of 5 stars Did anyone else notice!!!, 21 Aug 2010
Huge fan of Matthew Reilly since reading Contest about 10 years ago. Was quite a wait to see if Jack survived the fall at the end of Six Sacred Stones, which, of course, he did. His books are certainly action packed, although I do think he takes quite a long time to get to the climax and then its suddenly ended. Hope there is going to be a Four something.

Other reviewers have described the book far better than I could, but I wondered if anyone else had noticed the error on the cover of the hard back version. As we know Jack had a titanium arm but the illustration clearly shows two perfectly normal "human" arms!!!!

Noticed that the cover of the version sold in New Zealand and Australia was different. Read the first few chapters of this book standing in Borders whilst on holiday and then got the book when I arrived home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 8 April 2010
J. Lockwood (Bedford) - See all my reviews
Firstly be aware this is the final book of a trilogy, though this wasn't always obvious from the way book 2 was released, so make sure you read at least the 2nd one (six sacred stones) first else this one will seem somewhat disjointed.

As with all Matthew Reilly books you have to just sit back and enjoy the action and don't get too worried about the liberties being taken with history and historical artefacts. If you are looking for an educational tome you are looking at the wrong author - if you are looking for a book to entertain you thoroughly, have you gripped to the very last page and to leave you feeling sad that the adventure has ended then this is the right series of books for you.

Yes some of the plot locations are farfetched, and yes I can't think of many major historical figures that don't appear at some point in this trilogy but do I care? No, because the book is pure escapism and can reduce a long train commute to mere minutes whilst you become so absorbed and anxious to know what happens next.

I await the next four books with great anticipation!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, 24 Jan 2010
L. Deakin (England) - See all my reviews
I received this book yesterday at 10.30am and finished it at 8.00am today. I rarely will read through a book ignoring all else but after waiting two years its rude not to. Excellent book, disappointed that Matthew Reilly cancelled the book tour this month, but with a book like this I can forgive him.

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable Enjoyment, 22 Feb 2010
I should say that ever since I read Ice Station many years ago I have been a huge Reilly fan, and placed this book on pre-order with great anticipation. I was really looking forward to reading it and maybe the anticipation was part of the problem. Yes, like his other books it is fast paced, and you get some great twists and turns, and it's still worth reading. But I did find it a bit predictable, within a couple of chapters I guessed who the 5th greatest warrior would be, which was a bit disappointing. It seemed as if the book was written a bit too much to a formula (like Clive Cusslers recent stuff), maybe this is just the result of it being the last of a trilogy. Hopefully, with his next book we'll get back to the frantic, nail-biting stuff of his earlier work!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesom, 3 July 2014
This review is from: The Five Greatest Warriors (Kindle Edition)
After reading all the other Scarecrow books I wondered how Mathew was going to top them. After reading the Five Greatest Warriors I now know, absolutely awesome!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring book, 29 Jun 2014
After reading a few pages, I just got bored reading and donated it to a charity shop. Waste of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thriling, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Five Greatest Warriors (Kindle Edition)
Love the way Matthew Reilly writes - exciting and gripping adventure which has kept me hooked all the way through

The Five Greatest Warriors