4.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for Pros and Beginners

3.0 out of 5 stars Hercules dj console
Published on 18 Jan 2011 by Michael G

4.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for Pros and Beginners, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
Had the Mk4 for a couple of months now and, as a professional DJ, I can highly recommend it! The unit is small and fits in my laptop bag and has only one usb cable to link to my laptop. If required a couple of phono (RCA) cables can be used and you can use this unit as a midi controller/soundcard with timecoded cd or vinyl and use your existing decks. Or you can plug a set of speakers into the back of the Mk4 (using phono or mini jack) and get the party going using just that and your laptop.

PROS: *The size for me is important, going from carrying all my vinyl/cds to just one laptop bag with this unit in is priceless!
*Plug and play - I had no problem installing software/drivers etc. Was literally ready to go in minutes (on windows7 64 bit).
*Very easy to use - jog wheels are responsive, not designed for scratching on the console itself but you can do if using timecodes. Assignable samples/fx (haven't done so myself yet but is possible).
*Knobs and X-fader are all nice and smooth. X-fader would technically be ok for scratching. I say technically, but not perfect...

CONS: *Plastic case means its light but may not withstand heavy duty use - time will tell... Build quality is ok, for more durable unit look at numark's mixtrack pro or ns7, or hercules rmx.
*Can be a little cluttered... Because of the size I find I am prone to touching the jog wheels which, when in scratch mode, can stop a tune. This is mainly me being a klutz but worth pointing out...
*Can't really scratch on the console itself but you can at least use this with proper decks. Having said that, it may just be a virtualdj/latency thing as I have heard that the scratching is more responsive on these dj consoles with progs like traktor.

I am loving this product, easy to pick up and use instantly. I use virtual DJ 7 pro so its pretty much good to go out of the box (a sample version of virtual DJ comes with the console but I didn't use it as I have pro). As I said before, perfect for beginners and pros alike, and at the price you can't really go wrong!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hercules dj console, 18 Jan 2011
Michael G (West Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
This is great fun let down by no gain buttons on each channel, no master volume control,unresponsive buttons. ive found ive pressed play only to notice the track hasnt started this goes for all the affects and loops as well. i like the twist pitch control. better than slider. latency when you use the jog wheels is bad. no touch sensitive jog wheels so scratching is a no no. nothing much lights up to tell u what deck ur using except play in a dull blue colour. Only one cue button per deck. im now selling this and getting something better. This time il go and look and demo one in a shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Cool., 24 July 2011
C. Peters "cp" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
I bought this as I am making the transition to digital djay-ing from Vinyl and CD. Without going into too much technical detail (which you can find in other reviews),I've got to say that I love this little box.Once you get it going, (which, depending on your operating system can be pleasure or pain)you will be doing sets in your house/garden /stadium and grinning like a fool :)

I'm running XP (on an old Dell latitude)and while installation was fairly simple, I found the software to be a litle temperamental...until I discovered that you can switch from ASIO to windows WDM driver. Which work much better on XP. I said I wouldn't get technical!

Anyway, using this along with Virtual DJ lite (which comes with the package) you will find that searching, playing and mixing songs is a breeze and a joy. The built in effects are cool too. If you play 4/4 stuff like Hip-hop, dubstep and ouse, the beat effects (such as doubling up) and instant quarter, half and 1 bar looping will make your mates think you have hidden skills. I wouldn't however, expect too much from the scratch facility, it's not as precise or tight as say, Serato and probably not intended to be, but if you want to throw some cheeky spinbacks or some less time-dependant cuts into your mix then this works pretty well.

Sound quality is good, but yet to test this on anything other than home hi-fi. I have a wedding to play so hoping that this comes through! There are EQ knobs on the Hercules, but turning up the Bass to full gives you too much 'mud'. This could, however, be down to quality of my MP3 encodes (I tend to go 160 rather than 320. I suggest you experiment)

In short: Look at the price of the thing: it's cheap. You want one. It has a brill strap and carry case and it works, in my opinion, very well. Add to basket!

Pros:
Small, neat, cheap, does what it says on the tin, responsive buttons, good effects, good sound quality, bundled with Virtual DJ lite which has great search and cue functionality, FUN!!!!!

Cons:
Laggy scratching, doesn't work on my non-intel powerbook, initial set-up can be tricky.

Overall: Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hercules DJ console MK4, 15 Dec 2012
M. Henningham "djhmc" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
Been a DJ for over 20years its been a change to go from playing records & CD's to a laptop and controller. This product does all I need. Mixer and decks are nice to use with very good sound quality the microphone sounds very good too. Been using it to record radio broadcasts and it does the job very well. It has been a long time since a product has had such a big impact on my life but I would say this controller has, would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
Great product which I bought for an xmas pres for my husband. Producat as described. Has worked well with no problems. Fast straightforward delivery. Recommended seller. Will use again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great, until it broke, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
It did what i wanted it do, real basic dj stuff for a beginning dj. The problem is in the audio. The socket where you would put your laptop or cpu speakers in is AWFUL. After one use if plugging my speakers in, playing for a bit, taking it out and plugging it in again, it broke. It must have been so cheaply made, i dunno what's even wrong with it. I tried plugging other speakers into it to see if it wasn't just my ones but none of them work.

Just dont use laptop speakers. I was gonna do a little bit of djing for my 18th 2moro, now, thanks to this, i will have to put iTunes on shuffle. Amazing.

And if you have the budget, buy something of more quality. It really isn't great.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the Hercules DJ Console MK4, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
Had lots of fun playing with this. Easy to learn to use (lots of video tutorials online). Good starting console/deck, very simple and gives a good basic level of control of your music

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
This product is brilliant. Software included could be a little bit better but even still it is very good and does the job to a brilliant standard. Looks very sleek and works brilliantly, would recommend to a friend for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
Bought this console for my brother in law, & he's thrilled to bits with it. He had heard a lot about it, & it's everything it promised to be, and more. Very efficient service by the seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Start To Being A DJ, 21 Dec 2010
This review is from: Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac (Electronics)
This is great for starting out as a home DJ.
There are a few points to bear in mind.

The item description dose not mention that you need to attach a pair of external speakers if you wish to monitor the output(other than headphones) as it dose not use the pc soundcard.
Also the speakers need to be attached via RCA Phono connectors and not `spring clips` as found on most hifi`s etc.

I had a little trouble with loading the softwear as it appeared not to like Windows 7 Pro 64bit,but i got it to work in the end.

Comes supplied with a long USB cabel with is a plus point.

\not had much use of it yet but all appears fine so far.

Hercules DJConsole MK4 PC/Mac