Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 13 April 2010
"This collection has remastered tracks from a number of Judie's studio albums together with 4 new tracks and 2 re-recorded tracks. The first new track "If (When you go) is a beautiful song and sets a high standard for the remaining ones. The other new tracks are equally interesting and they showcase Judie's talent admirably. What I like about the first songs of CD 1 is how well they blend together, keeping the mood reflective but uplifting. "Secret Agent" is another beautiful piece and is heard before the rousing "I will" and "Bully". The final track on CD "One Minute" is off the wonderful album "Queen Secret Keeper". I received this album on 11th Sep 2001. Its opening lines are "If I only had one minute of my life, I'd give it to you for free" a very poignant thought for a tragic day.

The 2nd CD contains tracks from the first album "Welcome to the Cruise", probably still my favourite, through to "Under the Angels". I remember reading in 1980 that Judie was not totally satisfied with her first album but I still love to listen to "Stay with me till dawn", "Sukarita", "For you" ( The first single from `78) and the wonderful "Welcome to the Cruise" which are contained here. Many peoples favourite single might be "Understanding" a great ballad from the "Sportscar" album, it has been mine. "Come hell or waters high" was recorded by DC Lee on her album "Shrine". This track was off the `81 album "I am the Phoenix" and is joined here with another track "City of Swimming Pools, a more rockier album than the previous two.

The two re-recorded tracks, "Late Again" and "How do I feel" are brilliant.

As I listen to theses two cds it is easy to be over whelmed by the maturity of the craftsman ship of the music and lyrics. There are many tracks that are not showcased here that I enjoy equally but that is my choice and this is a fantastic number of chapters from Judie's career. I hope that new listeners can pick this up and equally enjoy this as a new album full of contemporary haunting songs. It is also a journey for me as I can recall where I was in my life as I listen to each track.

A collection that spans the breadth of a personal journey of over 30 years of superb creativity from this fantastic singer/songwriter.

If you only have One Minute take the time to enjoy this collection.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2010
If you are into words as well as great female voices this is a must for you. Judie's lyrics are sophisticated and very poignant. At last she is available via Amazon and more people can now become as hooked as I am!!!
We have every album she has released and have seen her live on many occasions, she is a legend. Even though we already have the majority of these tracks on our ipods as well as on individual albums this 2 disc set did not disappoint.
There are some brand new tracks on CD1 and if you are not moved by the 1st track, If (When You Go), you have no heart, it is amazing. I have now listened to it 4 times and I still get tears in my eyes. Another recent track, Like the Sun is also one of my current favourites. There are so many good tracks on this album I could go on forever, so I won't, just buy this and find out for yourself, you will love it.
For me this is a great selection of Judie's work and the remixing of some of her older material is cleverly done and doesn't lose any of the original feel. Go for it.
on 2 April 2010
An absolute treat this - a collection of tracks from the 31 year recording span of one of the most underrated female singers ever. Anyone who has seen one of Judie's live shows will testify to the diversity and quality of her material.

Here we see tracks dating back all the way to her debut album 'Welcome to the Cruise' (originally released on Elton John's Rocket label)right up to the present day with some new songs included. A lot of Judie's more recent material has either been unavailable on cd or only available on her own 'Big Moon' record label which has been sold via her website and at concerts. Here we see some of the songs from this span included alongside the more widely available material.

Highlights for me (and there are many) are 'Stay with me 'til dawn' (a timeless track that everyone has heard - never forget that first 'Top of the Pops' appearance), 'Understanding' (a wonderful song that fans demand Judie sings live!), 'Come hell or waters high' (once performed on Leo Sayer's TV show), 'Bully' (a rousing anthem that Judie's crew help sing along to!), 'Let me be the Pearl' (great guitar solo when played live) and finally 'Sportscar' (another up-tempo number that was the title track of her second Rocket album).

I've knocked off one star for what could have been included and was omitted. Everyone has their favourites but mine would have been the original version of 'How do I feel' from the unavailable 'Ritmo' album, 'Wonderland' and 'I can read books' (from the 'Wonderland' album - the latter featuring a ripping guitar solo from Brian May), 'I'm not a loser' (from 'Shoot the Moon') and finally the fantastic ballad 'I never know where my heart is' (from 'I am the Phoenix'). No tracks from 'The Cat is out' are featured either which is rather odd given the album tour show is available on an excellent DVD.
on 3 May 2010
I've been a fan since the Welcome to the Cruise Tour. I saw Judie in Leeds when she had to repeat some tracks as she had nothing else left to play. She was great then and has been really consistent ever since. This is a good overview of her career to date. It would be easy to complain about the omission of this track or that (and some albums are not represented at all), but I think it does a pretty good job. For the price it is a steal. If she plays anywhere near you, take the chance to go as the concerts are still great value (with daughter Bailey featuring as support with her own material, and as backing vocalist, like on the track "One Minute" from this album, which is a favourite of mine).

And by the way, take Flash Gordon's review with a pinch of salt! While I agree that the re-recorded version of "Late Again" doesn't necessarily beat the original (it has a ticking clock sound moving around throughout, which I found a bit cheesy), to damn the whole two discs for that is very unfair. If the original version of that track is so important to you, get Shoot the Moon, the album it originally came from. It is less than a fiver currently on Amazon and elsewhere, and includes some other great tracks not on this compilation, such as "Love on the Border", "I'm not a Loser" and "Information".

Thanks for all you have done Judie. I hope there are many more albums and tours to come.
on 21 April 2010
The fact that Judie Tzuke has worked with a record label to pull this collection together means we have not only a fantastic choice of tracks but also 4 new tracks and 2 re-worked tracks from ealier work.
I have to say the four new tarcks are stunning showcasing how in tune Judie is with today. Leaning is probably my favourite of the tracks and the plaintive If (When you go) is beautiful.
I thought Wonderland could have been included on this collection, but that aside I would urge anyone to go have a listen to Judie Tzuke. She is our hidden gem in this country.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 October 2010
The songs that most people are likely to know by Judie Tzuke came from her debut trilogy on Rocket Records: the three albums that went to produce 1983's compilation album, The Best of Judie Tzuke. Due a complicated licensing history, these albums (and tracks from several of her later albums) have been largely unavailable for other compilations, and it has taken until now for Tzuke to put together a really good career retrospective. This is (more or less) what we've been waiting for.

Given its generous running length, I am surprised that there are some early tracks that I miss from this album ("Bring the Rain", "Ladies' Night", "The Rise of Heart") but it would be churlish to argue with a collection that features such early highlights as "Welcome to the Cruise", "For You", "Understanding", "Come Hell or Waters High" and, of course, "Stay With Me Till Dawn". Once we get out of the Rocket era, "How Do I Feel?" is a superb re-recording of a very good song, although I agree with the reviewer who feels that the original "Late Again" is preferable to this version.

Once you get past Tzuke's early career you get the opportunity to tune back in on this remarkable vocal talent as her career continued, almost invisibly, up to the present day. Again, bearing in mind the running time one might be surprised to find that her fine "lost" album Turning Stones is represented only by two tracks or that Left Hand Talking is not represented at all. Song choices have focused on her more recent career, where presumably her catalogue is more in her own hands.

What choices they are though! Even here there are some fine songs missing (no "Two Mountains" for example) but "Like The Sun" can punch its weight against the best of her early ballads, and the evidence is compelling in songs such as "Secret Agent", "Bully" and "I Will" that Tzuke's capabilities as a songwriter still extend well beyond doe-eyed love songs.

This collection proves that in Tzuke we have one of the great pop talents of the last thirty years. Come for the old stuff; stay for the new stuff.
on 11 August 2010
Quite simply, this compilation is sublime.

Judie Tzuke has been making music for some thirty years, and the breadth and diversity of her material is amazing. So often, I find compilations to be a little unsatisfactory, either because they miss out my personal favourites or because the selection doesn't necessarily sit well as an album.

Moon on A Mirrorball manages to avoid those pitfalls. It stands on its own as a highly pleasurable double CD collection, that I have yet to tire of. It also introduced me to a surprising number of tracks that I hadn't heard before, and showed some sides to Jude's music that had passed me by. There are some fabulous new tracks as well, notably 'If (When you leave)' and 'Submarine Boy'. I love the powerful, if not a little disturbing, content of 'Secret Agent' and 'Bully' and am left in awe at the irresistible quality of 'Leaning' and 'Vivien'. Attempts at reworking older classics are well worth having. Unlike another reviewer, I enjoyed the revisit of 'Late Again' with ticking clocks underlining to the heart-breaking message of this beautiful track. I'm less sure about the re-recording of 'How do I Feel' a great composition I think, but one that doesn't quite seem to achieve its potential either here on on the original recording on the 'Ritmo' album but well worth hearing all the same.

I can't recommend this album highly enough for Judie Tzuke fans or anyone who enjoys quality music with innovative arrangements, provoking and thoughtful lyrics and one of the most beautiful voices in the business. Buy it now, you won't be disappointed!
on 25 August 2010
I have listened to judie tzuke for over 30 years and she has continually produced excellent albums and has not released anything that i can say i do not like. This cd has some great new tracks and some that i only have on vinyl which i can now put on my ipod and listen to for the first time in ages.I would recommend this cd to anyone.
on 13 May 2014
I've been a fan of Judie Tzuke for a few years now. I discovered her through a compilation album with a selection of songs from her first three 'Rocket' albums and her only album on the Polydor label, 'Turning Stones'. Moon on a Mirrorball is a far superior compilation with songs from throughout her career. Initially I preferred Disc 2 with its bias towards her more well known songs from albums which graced the top 40. However time spent listening to Disc 1 brings you right up to date as it takes you on a tour of her more recent albums and reveals this double record to be a real winner. The more recent songs are as good as any of her previous work and some of the songs written for this compilation are simply brilliant! Judie is in many respects a well kept secret but deserves a wider audience. This album is a fantastic introduction into Judie's work. It may take a few listens for you to 'get it' - but when you do you'll be a lifelong fan!
on 27 November 2010
I came to this album intrigued as I had not listened to Judie Tzuke's misic in many years. The tracks blend together with ease and I am humming along to all the melodies. Her voice has mellowed and I like her daughter's (s'?) voice in the background complimenting Judie's.