5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs hundreds of pedals...
Published on 11 May 2010 by Keith

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use but limited for live work.
For the past couple of years I've been using a variety of Boss GT pedals but had reached the point where I don't need a plethora of effects and patches and the idea of a smaller, more compact pedal appealed to me.

Published 8 months ago by Doh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs hundreds of pedals..., 11 May 2010
This review is from: BOSS ME 25 Electric guitar effects Multi effects for guitars (Electronics)
Got one of these ME-25's last week. I've finally found a great sound, at a great price, for a great control! Up to 60 memory slots, mixing a wide variation of distortion, chorus, phaser, delays, reverb, auto-wah, etc, etc. For example, 10 main distortion/overdrive options (blues, fuzz, etc), with 3 rotating knobs to fine tune volume, tone, etc (they vary in use, from effect to effect).

Plus the rocker pedal for volume/wah wah/pitch shifting. And the super stack button, which even makes my baby Marshall MS-4 amp sound meaty... And the Cakewalk Sonar Le computer application (while having a lot of controls that I've yet to master) seems to do a great job of integrating laptop, ME-25, amp, iTunes, recording deck, etc...

It's all there!!!

Only negatives I've found are moving from memory 1 to 30 takes 30 button presses (plan your slots carefully!) and there's no real on/off switch - you have to pull the input cable in/out...

But still worth 5 stars... (This is my view - you may disagree! And I don't work in the industry...)

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use but limited for live work., 23 Aug. 2014

There are plenty of reviews on the various effects, etc available in this pedal so I'm just going to concentrate on the points that were important to me.

Straight away I was getting a great over-drive tone using this pedal and a Fender Blues Deluxe. I was really impressed with this as with some pedals it can be a bit of a game programming them just to get a basic over-drive setting. Thumbs up.

Typical Boss, it's built like a tank. Thumbs up.

It's small and compact. Thumbs up.

Can be powered with batteries. Thumbs up.

But no power supply included. Thumbs down.

The solo pedal in brilliant. A few quick tweaks to boost the volume and over-drive gain and you have your lead setting. Another thumbs up.

With only a sequential patch option it's a real pain navigating from patch to patch. Moving from patch 1 to patch 20 involves manic tapping on the patch selector. Thumbs down.

Expression pedal is very limited as to which effect you can choose. Thumbs down.

You can only use one modulation effect at one time which on the odd occasion was a bit limiting. Thumbs down.

There are so many multi-effect pedals currently available that there almost certainly be one perfect for what you require of it. The ME25 is a good pedal but it just wasn't for me. Somebody else might find it ideal. Before buying this pedal I suspected that it wouldn't be ideal for me but as I love buying gear I was quite happy to take the chance.

Overall this is a well built pedal that is easy to use but limited for live work. Perfect if you only use one or two sounds live or just need it for practicing or recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boss ME25, 1 Feb. 2012
This is an excellent product delivering far more versatility than you expect. My son (who uses it) is delighted with what can be achieved using this piece of kit. Highly recommended for those looking to develop their guitar skills and composition writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great . . .for a whole song, 14 Sept. 2011
I found this pedal great ,but i'm in a punk band and we often switch effects on and off during a song. Now the manual is all good but as i said it doesnt say how to switch effects on and off. Iv also had problems saving my setups

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 19 Mar. 2013
I specifically wanted a device that would allow me to record and mix tracks on my average (windows 8) laptop.

The Boss ME-25 caught my intention as it acts as an audio interface and comes with a light version of cakewalk sonar.

I'm not particularly technical, so very pleased to report that this device made it extremely easy - the tutorials that come with the software were essential, and easy to follow.

My first four track effort was achieved using included drum loops, two guitar loops recorded through the ME-25, and vocal track from a microphone (also recorded through the ME-25 - as a microphone pre-amp, the unit works, and result is acceptable - but obviously it's not designed to mix more than one input channel so I'm not complaining), and an MP3 came out the other end within an hour or two.

So am more than satisfied that this product met my own requirements.

Am very pleased to be able to additionally report that the guitar effects are excellent. Everything I expected from a brand such as Boss. The sound library is divided into 8 sensible categories (such as clean, crunch, lead etc) and within each are 10 further presets. Selecting one of these categories is very straightforward (a button for each), as is switching between the presets (a single knob). It is also possible to mix effects together (eg overdrive, reverb, and delay), and tweak the individual effects settings (using 3 parameter knobs), and this process is a lot more involved, but then I guess this is exactly why there are 60 memory slots (navigable using the 'up' pedal and 'down' pedal) into which you can save your own combinations. Surely that's more than enough.

Oh, and I'll say it again, the effects sound great!

The build quality is also excellent, sturdy metal casing and firmly fitting knobs. The pedals and buttons also seem strong under foot.

The only use I can so far find for the expression pedal is to control volume between dubs using the looper ... which is brilliant while composing. The looper is intuitive to use, but so far I've struggled to be sure that it's turned off when I'm done with it. Another LED exclusively for that purpose would have been perfect.

After 3 or 4 hours constant use, the original batteries (provided) are still powering it.

In summary, it does exactly what I wanted, does it very well, and looks pretty cool to boot!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... for about £60 but would have been more than happy even at £135, 20 Oct. 2014
Bought this on ebay for about £60 but would have been more than happy even at £135! Great effects with pretty much every effect you could think of except very high end or specialised ones
quick list
-compressor,T.Wah, Acoustic sim, 10 pre amps, 3 varying delays + tap delay, boost, overdrive, distortion, fuzz, chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, harmony, octave, hall/room reverbs, wah pedal, +octave/- octave pedal, freeze/infinite sustain pedal plus a bunch of other amp settings etc

all sound very good and all together buying individual pedals even at cheap, bad quality versions would still cost far more than this. easy to save settings with multiple effects for certain songs and switching between them is easy. also acts as an audio interface so you can record to your computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun, 14 Jun. 2011
This thing is fun! Great effects, although i,m still trying to find my way around all of them.The instructions could be a bit better but half the fun is working out this pedal for youself.The loop feature is really good once you get used to the timing etc but you can sound almost like a band with it,s overdubbing.It hasn,t got a built in drum machine but don,t let that put you off. Batteries were supplied with it but don,t last long so get an adaptor.It is well built too with its metal casing and not fragile plastic that you,re worried about pressing too hard on.At this price i wish i had bought one years ago and it,s money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eventually, 20 July 2012
Having ummmed and aaahhhed for ages I finally purchased this effects box for my guitar. I should have got one of these ages ago. It is extreamly easy to use and I've hardly touched on all what this can do.
My playing sounds so much better and it has exactly the right sound I was looking for.
You have to buy an adaptor for mains power unless you have lots and lots of batteries.
Really pleased with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars MINT!!, 28 Aug. 2013
This pedal is great!!...compact yet functional, this pedal has some great sounds. There's also the added bonus that you can download extra soundfonts ( effects ) from the Boss website and then use a USB cable to transfer them onto the pedal. The factory default sounds on this are great and the ability to change the effects to user defined settings is a great and easy process. I use this regularly at gigs, rehearsals and even the studio. This pedal is a bargain and well worth buying. Would certainly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy husband, 23 Feb. 2014
I'm sorry I can't tell you anything very much about the technical wizardry of this piece of kit. However judging from my husband's reaction when he got it and the number of happy hours he now spends trying out all the effects it was a great buy. Looks classy and robust.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›