Format: DVD|Change

on 16 February 2014
Sandra Bullock plays a super-smart, quirky, misfit crossword puzzle composer in this film, and it's genuinely a feel good film. I'm usually quite biased while reviewing Sandy's films, due to the fact I'm a die hard fan, but I would recommend this to anyone looking for a film to watch on a night in. Loved it!
on 5 January 2011
I was a little dubious at first at watching this film as I hadn't heard good things.....But what can I say it was a laugh from start to finish. Sandra Bullock is as always fantastic, her portrayal of Mary was absolutley faultless and possessed many qualities which I found myself relating to. It's about realising it's OK to be different and that you don't have to be normal to find a niche in life and in society. An excellent film which I will watch again and again.
on 14 June 2012
I think most people who have given this film a bad review have totally missed the point of the film and not given credit where it's due, I mean it is a comedy, if your wanting an award winning masterpiece then look elsewhere but if you want a silly comedy to have a good old laugh then look no further, this had the whole family in stitches and the film ends on a lovely heart warming high with a positive message that everyone should take from it .
I think this film shows just how varied Sandra Bullock's acting talent is, yes the character Mary is odd and quite annoying but that is how the character is supposed to be and we end up loving her and rooting for her anyway.
If you like a great comedy and aren't above a few silly gags then I would highly recommend this film, don't be put off by bad reviews like I was for a long time, judge for yourself and make sure you watch to the end as it gets better as it goes along and the last 20 minutes or so are what really made me love it .
on 13 September 2011
Now I love Sandra Bullock and I simply adore the gorgeous Bradley Cooper (main reason I purchased this DVD actually!!!) but this film is incredibly poor. Sandra Bullock's character is extremely irritating and if it weren't for the fact that Bradley Cooper is sooooo good looking, I would have switched off way before the end!! Not recommended in my opinion!!
on 24 August 2011
Do not buy this, it is the worst film i have ever seen. I felt i had wasted an hour and a half of my life which i will never get back! Normally i like Sandra Bullock but she stinks in it. The plot is rubbish as well.
on 19 February 2013
god cut it some slack it all leads up to her falling in that hole and when that happened i could not stop laughing i dont know why but i thought it was so funny and i think it deserves 4stars just like the rest!!
on 8 March 2010
I believe most people did not understand this film and were expecting a typical Sandra Bullock rom-com. Certainly, it starts in this fashion,but you soon realise that the character SB plays is not just quirky,but is more than that. She is "different" .Now is that quirky,or perhaps is she Asperger's or something similar .Very bright,but unnaturally (obsessively) focussed on crossword puzzles to shut out the world and have a refuge from people making fun of her-I felt that SB was playing the part of someone who was not quirky but "different" .She naively believes what people tell her,and tries to "fit in" to the world around her,but recognises that she does not really fit the mould of the typical person.She gets taken advantage of by a TV news team seeking sensationalist stories.But in following them around,SB comes into contact with other people who seem to turn up at these strange news happenings regularly.Soon she makes friends with them,and finds that in their strangeness,she has a lot in common.In fact,she is much more comfortable with them,than with "regular people".And it becomes clear to her that instead of trying to fit in with "normal people"(which she has been trying to do),she should be herself and find others like her,as with them they don't judge her and she fits in perfectly.
So ,it's not a rom-com,and while there are funny moments,this is a movie with a bit of a message-it's ok to be different,and don't be ashamed of it,just go and find others who are also different,and you can be happy with them as your friends.
on 26 February 2016
Ok let's be clear: it's not a great film, rather a light-hearted comedy with little substance. It's a good film to watch if you're knackered and don't want to focus on something too complex.

Sandra Bullock and Bradley Cooper play their roles very well. Towards the end, it becomes a little ridiculous but that's the writers fault! Some of the supporting cast are more annoying than endearing. It's not TERRIBLE, just not great. Sort of, meh.

If I had the choice, I would have watched it for free on Netflix / Amazon Prime rather than purchase it. Save your money, buy a funny-comedy instead.
on 12 January 2015
This turned up quite quickly so thank you to the seller and my postman, also called Steve. Watched it on Saturday night - it is just a daft chick-flick but that is what I expected. I do like Sandra Bullock, and wasn't expecting a great artistic work, just a laugh, which it was. Some very awkward and gauche moments in there which made me cringe particularly the scene 5 minutes into the date. But hey, who can blame her. I would do the same. He was the only reason I purchased this DVD!!!!!
on 29 August 2012
A very uncomfortable movie
Thought it might be as good as san bullock usual easy watches - sadly not - or maybe it just didn't appeal to me