4.0 out of 5 stars Take the 'time' to read this- great stuff!
I admit, I avoided this book initially, thinking that it would just be another vampire romance type book- but it was the time travel side of it that lured me in. I'm really glad I gave it a try- this was a fun paranormal book with a really interesting premise to it.

Published on 29 July 2011 by Nicola F (Nic)

2.0 out of 5 stars A love story as dated as the backdrop
Published on 20 Sep 2012 by Holly Golightly

4.0 out of 5 stars Take the 'time' to read this- great stuff!, 29 July 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Out of Time: A Time Travel Mystery (Out of Time #1) (Kindle Edition)

This book sees Professor Simon Cross, a long time lecturer in the occult, and his assistant, Elizabeth West, transported back in time to 1920's New York. Aside from mobsters and the pull of the speakeasies, the two of them find that the city that never sleeps may have something more sinister lurking in its underbelly. Can they make it back to the present day alive?

This was a really fun read that had a lot of things going for it, in my opinion. What worked well: the setting. The prohibition era of 1920's New York was just abundant with possibilities and I do feel the author managed to convey this very well- as a reader you can imagine yourself walking the streets very clearly. Also, her character development, aside from the weak and two dimensional `King Kashian' was generally very good and aside from Elizabeth and Simon, I had a bit of a soft spot for Charlie Blue as well. I would have loved to visit his speakeasy!

The romance as well between Elizabeth and Simon was also very natural and not rushed and I felt the chemistry was well written and had a nice build up. Neither character was depicted as being perfect and their flaws and uncertainties added a nice dimension to the book.

A few niggles though that keep me from awarding this the full five stars: in my opinion there were a few aspects that just didn't tie together fully. Simon and Elizabeth were seemingly quite accepting of their fate that they would be trapped in the past for at least six weeks until the next eclipse and though Simon did supposedly extensive `research' into how they could get back to their own time this was never really elaborated upon very much. He just seemed to spend a lot of time in the library and that's it- whereas Elizabeth was very matter of fact about the whole thing, getting a job and wanting to go and see Houdini live, etc.

Also, I really felt that vampires could have been excluded from this book entirely and it still could have worked- there was just so much potential with the setting and characterisation and `King Kashian' seemed a bit bland by contrast. Oh yes- at some point in the story there is a brief mention of the `Weasley Twins.' Obviously completely different characters from JK Rowling's, but still- surely a better name could have been chosen, or maybe the author is just a Harry Potter fan. As an aside, I found this to be absolutely hilarious.

I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes a bit of paranormal fantasy. I'm really glad that there's a sequel soon to be released to this- I'm looking forward to giving it a try and reading more about Simon and Elizabeth's continuing adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary time travel romance set in the old New York of the 1920s!, 15 Nov 2010
My thoughts: I have to confess I was sold at the very first sentence, when I learned this story would take place in New York in the 1920s. I mean that is such an incredibly exciting time with so many unexploited opportunities: the prohibition, the universe of gangsters, speakeasies, barmaids, gunfights just to name a few, who wouldn't be excited to read a story set then and there? So with so many ideas jumping in my head after only reading the introductory sentence of the blurb, I have to admit that my expectations of Out of Time were (very very) high: I wanted to read an exciting and original story. And Out of Time surpassed all my expectations!

Not only did I get my share of gangsters, speakeasies and barfights, Monique Martin's descriptive yet fluent writing transported me back in time to the New York of the '20s. The small streets and diners, the pawnshop and bars and all the other major or minor characters became more than mere settings and characters on paper, I felt as if I were strolling those scary yet exciting streets alongside Elizabeth and Simon. The old New York came to life while I was reading Out of Time, the setting became reality, which doesn't happen often, even with contemporary locations.

The other major high of this novel was the amazing characterization. In the characters of Simon and Elizabeth, Monique Martin gave us not simply two likable characters, but complex, layered characters, who have their own background which gives them depth and character. Even independently Simon and Elizabeth are both given history, little details that help the reader feel as if they know them personally, little quirks and faults that make them real everyday people and not larger than life unrealistic pawns of the story. But then, when Monique Martin combines their story and unfolds their attraction and feelings for each other, you just want to savour the experience of reading, to spend more time discovering their hidden thoughts and emotions. Their relationship and love are written wonderfully (I have to admit, even if Elizabeth and Simon's story came without the more than great setting, I would have been happy reading about them).

The only tiny criticism I have with the story is that I don't think introducing the paranormal element of vampires was necessary. I would have been more than happy with just the interesting time travel romance storyline, I felt it was exciting and intriguing enough.

Verdict: Out of Time could be categorized as a time travel novel, a historical/contemporary romance or a paranormal story. It is all of these and much more. Out of Time was a wonderful surprise. Not only is the story incredibly unique and original (the hero and heroine get thrown back to the New York of the '20s!) but Monique Martin's narrative is told wonderfully: the story flows freely and naturally while the reader gets enough details and descriptions to feel as if they were watching a movie unfold. An extraordinary read, one you should not miss out on!

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 8/10
Writing: 10/10
Cover: 7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting paranormal romance, 27 Nov 2010
Out of Time is a great read from a new author. Ms. Martin skillfully weaves a tale of suspense and danger while at the same time creating a tender relationship between the hero and heroine. Even though one of the characters is a vampire, I wouldn't call this a "vampire book" - the main paranormal aspect of it comes from the time travel. The setting of Prohibition '20s is one you don't see everyday, though, and a welcome breath of fresh air. Great characters, great setting, great writing - this book is a Win all the way around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really impressed, 31 July 2011
I don't write reviews often although I read at least a book a day, if not more (lucky to be a speed reader)

I downloaded this a few hours ago on the kindle for free and I must say I loved it, I would happily have paid for it.

The writing, style, pace, description, the love scenes .. In fact everything was well written, well edited and constructed.

This is worth anyone's money, and I intend to buy the next book.

LOVED IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story!, 5 Dec 2010
The description of Out of Time caught my attention, and so I downloaded the sample to my Kindle. I knew within the first couple of "pages" that I'd have to read the entire book. The characters are likable and realistic, yet still "larger than life." The plot is captivating and unpredictable. But there's more to this book than romance; it has mystery and danger and vampires. And it has romance! If you read my other reviews, you'll see I don't normally gush about books. Out of Time is gush-worthy! It's extraordinarily well-written in every way. I love this book and highly recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars A love story as dated as the backdrop, 20 Sep 2012
Hmm, think I must have missed whatever the other reviewers on here found to enjoy about the 'romance' in this book. While it's fair to point out that I generally avoid the romance genre, I'm not averse to a bit of sexual tension to keep a good storyline bubbling along. Unfortunately, I was already getting a bit fed up with these two characters when one of them did the inevitable 'I cannot let them get close to me because I'm such a terrible person' rubbish. It feels like such a cop out of a plot device and all the sighing and inward 'ooh'ing from the other one didn't do much to help either!

Added to these rather Mills and Boonesque shenanigans, the storyline takes a further weird turn when it inexplicably takes on a supernatural element. There just seem to be far too many themes and not enough substance. I have to confess I didn't finish this book as although I hate giving up on a novel, there are times when you just have to tell yourself that life is too short.

This is ultimately chick lit with a few extra twists, so if you're looking for an intelligent novel about time travel, this will likely disappoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 23 April 2013
I picked up this book as it was a recommended read based on my recent purchases and it was free. I enjoy stories about time travel and liked the fact that in this book the two main characters travel time together. I've not read many books set in the 1920s so it was fun to explore this time also. So as an adventure and romance it was really enjoyable. The only part I think didn't need to be there was the vampire - it added an extra dimension to the story but I honestly feel that the vampire could have been a super hard baddie rather than a supernatural being. But that's just me, but I did enjoy the book and will read the next book in the series. If you like time travel adventure with a bit of romance then this is a definite must.

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of time, 26 Jan 2013
Interesting concepts but there was so much more I wanted to know, guess I will find more in the sequel. I love time travel theory and enjoyed the book and the very real characters .

3.0 out of 5 stars Got a bit cross with Cross, 23 Jan 2013
There were times in the earlier part of this book I felt I wanted to scream "just get on with it" as Simon Cross or Elizabeth indulged in yet another two pages of chest beating whilst they agonised over their relationship. I didn't warm to Simon. His sulkiness irritated me and I have to say I was starting to root for the villain though he and other potentially interesting characters could have benefited from further character development. It's a shame that the author didn't take advantage of the huge historical event that took place apparently taking place only a month after the hero and heroine were due to leave. What a cop out.! That said, the series has potential and reading the excerpt from the follow-up it looks as though the author is coming to grips with this potential.

2.0 out of 5 stars A mystery all right, 19 Jan 2013
Romance check, vampires, check, time travel, check. Hard reading annoying leads mish mash of genres. Won't be reading sequels, Don't care enough for the "heroes"