5.0 out of 5 stars Follow Your Nose
Gavin de Becker's book is far more than I expected. Typically self-help books tend to be rather shrill and include a lot of large font type with daft mnemonics; one suspects the material is a bit thin and has been stretched over the available space. But with de Becker he has (as he ruefully admits) a great deal more than he could (or would) ever recount.

The...
Published on 11 Dec 2009 by Charles Vasey

3.0 out of 5 stars We have instincts for a reason
The Gift of Fear was recommended to me as a useful resource and while it does have valuable information it wasn't quite the book I was expecting.

If you've ever found yourself in a situation where you've encountered a person who prompts a reaction of tension or anxiety, for a seemingly unknown reason, The Gift of Fear can be a valuable guide to deconstructing...
Published on 27 Nov 2012 by Belochka

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all women (and all men!), 11 April 2009
C. J. Towner - See all my reviews
Thoroughly recommend this book to any woman who is (and who isn't?!) concerned about their personal safety. Amusing and informative, tips and guides for keeping yourself safe without living in fear. How to know when you are in danger, and what to do about it. And guys - great read for you too, both for yourselves, and the more you know, the more you can help your loved-ones keep safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Informative, 1 Oct 2003
A great book - taught me loads of things to be aware of in certain situations and also made me realise how I had used my intuition in the past. All mothers should buy this for their daughters.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book could save your life, 5 Mar 2010
On my bookshelf I have about half a dozen books which to me have changed my life. This is one of them. I bought it after being mugged and realised that I was given all the signs and danger signals which would have prevented my being mugged had I acknowledged and acted on them. As another commentator has noted, this book will change the way you see people for ever. Now I never ignore a gut feeling about someone and I always pay attention to what is going on around me - no earphones or mobile phones whilst walking down a street. Gavin de Becker teaches you that awareness is 90% of survival. It is no exaggeration to say that this book could save your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Introduction to Avoiding Danger, 28 Feb 2010
This book is one of the best basic introductions to avoiding danger and dangerous situations out there, including enough detail and enough information.

One caution I would put in is that it does contain some descriptions of previous cases and situations worked by and explained too the author during his life time, and some of them could be distressing, despite their none graphic nature, to sensative people.

5.0 out of 5 stars the difference between life and death, 16 Jan 2013
I don't think that there could be a higher endorsement than for me of this than to say that I FIRMLY believe there would be a lot fewer rapes and deaths out there if women - and men - took the time out to read this book. And it's not a some magical mystery that only the enlightened can access, but changing 'common sense' mindsets that don't work and making sure we give intuition the attention it deserves.

But there aren't just lessons for individuals in there. The bigger message that de Becker puts across in addition to the 'survival tips' is that there is something profoundly wrong with the way that society manipulates the victims to put the blame on themselves and learn helplessness. And I don't think, in spite of it being the agenda of the day, is something that any academic or 'pop' author has, to my mind, ever got across so well as Gavin does here.

There are some interesting stories in there too. They are extras, and I guess if you are into some FBI style thrillers, then you'll find that a bonus. But that's something that could be just as easily dropped if the first message is getting across.

6 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, essential reading., 7 May 2012
Miss Emma J. Law "Firebreather" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on the recommendation of a trainer friend of mine after studying a self defence course. And what a great recommendation it was. Instead of it being dry and difficult to read, as I had been expecting, the book was easy to read, but also packed full of really useful and interesting information, presented in almost a novel style. I'm so glad I bought and read it = and I got a lot out of reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb self-defence book, 3 April 2011
An amazing book that helps you understand and recognise the various built in systems we have to protect ourselves from violent situations. It goes through how the body works and how we should learn to trust our instincts. For example that nagging feeling that for some reason, which we can't put out finger on, we don't like a guy we just met. Most dismiss it, but we may have picked up on something very small and suspicious that our unconscious mind noticed but our conscious mind didn't. The book does drag on a little at the end but I still highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 7 Mar 2011
Mrs. B. Lyne - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is something I have dipped in and out of over the years. I have bought it and given it as presents to quite a few of my friends who have all loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gift of Fear - Review, 10 Aug 2009
V. Lloyd-brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gift of Fear (Paperback)
A fantastic book. I wanted to know about domestic violence, spousal killings and the potential for hard to be done to myself. This book answered all the questions that I had in my head and put me straight about the probability of harm. Understanding that violence was not really random was a new concept for me and having it explained in the way that Debecker sets it out was easy and understandable. I can highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD., 8 Mar 2014
THIS IS A VERY GOOD BOOK THAT SHOULD BE READ BY MEN, WOMEN AND TEENAGERS. INCREASES ONE'S CHANCE OF THEIR SAFETY

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›