4.0 out of 5 stars Patchng up the Lawn

Published on 18 Aug 2010 by K. W. Sharratt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Patchng up the Lawn, 7 Oct 2010
Dr. E. Oakes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miracle-Gro Patch Magic Grass Seed, Feed and Coir 20 Patches 1.5 kg Pouch (Garden & Outdoors)
This is an excellent product which does what it says "on the package". However, I have a couple of criticisms: (a)I think some better guidance is needed on the quantities that are necessary - "1 mm or 3 mm depth I didn't find particularly helpful. It would hve been far better if they had advised, for example, one handful per square foot (or whatever). (b)it is quite pricey. Whether I would have done just as well with a packet of lawn seed, I will never know, but I will re-iterate that it does work. Good patching!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gro Patch, 18 Aug 2010
If you use Miracle-Gro Patch Magic Grass Seed it is wise to remove a thin layer of the bare soil in order to make room for a layer of the Gro Patch; then apply the product so that it is level with the rest of the lawn. It is most essential to keep the patch well watered. However, you will probably find it much cheaper to make up a mixture of grass seed and compost yourself; it will do exactly the same job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Patching, 25 Aug 2010
I have created quite a few lawns in my career. I usually use turf due to time constraints, but seed is certainly more cost effective, providing you get a quality seed blend, it's the right time of year and you have the time to wait.

I bought a bag of Miracle-Gro Patch Magic to fix some patches on a lawn where some paving slabs had been used like stepping stones. It was an instinctive purchase to save time and, I must admit, because I was curious as to how effective it would be; it's good to be familiar with products on the market should customers mention them.

After loosening the compacted soil, I added the mixture, watered regularly and waited. Despite the claims on the pack, I confess that I was very surprised at how quickly the seed germinated and the quality of the grass it produced. Unfortunately, evidence of the patches remains as I have a line of lush green squares now running up the lawn! They put the rest of the lawn to shame! Something this simple isn't usually so effective, so I am very pleased and would recommend the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff, 29 May 2014
Patch magic is amazing. I usually go through countless bags of the ordinary grass seed one usually buys. You take your chances with the success rate. Also you are usually required to skim the surface of your lawn by a couple of millimetres or so, which is easier said than done in sowing season! Alternatively you are required to put top soil over the seed. Well, not so with this stuff. All the hard work is taken out as the coir acts as top soil. It pretty much all does sprout grass. Overall, I am delighted with the results and I am glad I spent the extra money on getting this stuff.

It's quite pricy though and I was told you can buy coir separately very cheaply, although I haven't researched this myself. I think from pet shops? Then I guess you'd mix it 50:50 with seed.

20 patches is not a lot of coverage.

The seller is great though.

5.0 out of 5 stars \Miracle Gro path magic grass seed, 11 Sep 2013
Have recently used this after the long spell of dry weather and my grass has been replenished and back to normal

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems a bit patchy to me..., 30 Jun 2012
I. Heaton (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Looking at the other reviews, some seem delighted, some, like me, are quite disappointed. Are the results a bit patchy?

I was a little wary about purchasing this given the price and was expecting it to be something of a miracle and perhaps even magical (I wonder what gave that idea?) I was re-assured by the promise of being reimbursed if not entirely satisfied, so decided to give it a go. About six weeks after putting it down and keeping it watered as per the instructions, it had some wispy little shoots of grass coming up. Somewhat short of miraculous. Meanwhile I had purchased some basic grass-seed (from Wilkinson) which I used with compost in another part of the garden - almost a quarter of the price and far better results.

I've given this two stars, because it's not awful. I found it to work, but the coverage was pretty awful given the cost - grass seed and compost worked just as well and is a LOT cheaper. ...It must be the cost of the real gold they use on the packaging? ;-)

A word of warning: I was so disappointed with mine, that I sent my receipt off to Miracle Gro for my promised reimbursement. Imagine my delight when they send me vouchers to buy more of the stuff! Seriously! They sent me "Patch Magic" gift vouchers that are only exchangeable for more of the stuff. That's not really a reimbursement - that only makes it half price. I only hope I can keep sending the receipts back another couple of times until I'm happy that I've got value for money! I've only got a small patch left to fill, so another couple of bags might do it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Patchy grass? Kids/pets ruining it? Try this, it works!, 7 Aug 2014
I brought this to patch up some grass on my new lawn where the kids have played football on it and kicked the turf up! Works well, the measurements they give are quite hard to judge, though I just end up putting a good amount on to the patch I want, just to make sure.

Takes a while to get growing but it definitely works. Not as nice as my original lawn, but blends in well.

Overall its a great patcher for odd spots here and there, takes a while, though probably faster than grass seeds.

4.0 out of 5 stars grass patch, 28 May 2014
some patches didnt work but some did so im guessing its juts luck of the draw!!! other than that i was pleased with the grass that did grow!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not thrilled, 11 April 2014
I gave it 3 stars because i have seen grass growing at certain areas but not everywhere i patched. However this could be my fault

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, 24 July 2012
SRK (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Very easy to use. Has worked on most of the "bare" patches, but there are a couple of patches that haven't taken. Will have to use this again on those couple of areas. In the past have used different products which haven't taken at all so, all in all, this one is recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›