4.0 out of 5 stars Good for style and casual use
Let's cut to the chase:

- BUY THIS IF YOU WANT A GREAT KEYBOARD FOR A MEDIA CENTER PC OR CASUAL PC USAGE
- DON'T BUY THIS FOR POWER USE

Why you should buy it?
------------------------------

- Small, light and wireless.
- Microscopic USB transmitter, neatly housed in the back through some funky magnetism.
- Most stylish...
Published on 14 Nov 2010 by Charles Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars entails sacifices
Based on ownership approaching 1 year :

Pros - style, build quality, freedom, compact, nice tactile feel to the keys.

Published on 10 Mar 2012 by JHad

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for style and casual use, 14 Nov 2010
Charles Allen (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Let's cut to the chase:

- DON'T BUY THIS FOR POWER USE

Why you should buy it?
------------------------------

- Small, light and wireless.
- Most stylish product ever seen out of Microsoft, more beautiful than any of the Apple keyboards, regularly gets a "wow" out of even the most unexpected people.
- Space efficient design, combining the 12 F-keys into 6 buttons, the 4 directional keys into a single button and omitting a num pad.

Mine sits next to my media PC at home and gets used for simple tasks such as web browsing, document writing, controlling Winamp. You can easily control your music from across the room without even looking at the screen. It's very portable, I've dropped the entire keyboard into my bag with ease, although as yet I haven't found a context where this has been useful (usually you travel with a laptop and this only really adds value when you have a separate screen and shut your laptop screen).

Why you shouldn't buy it?
------------------------------

I'm a software developer and on occasion I have tried to use this keyboard to get some serious work done at home. I think this must be about the least sensible thing to do with this keyboard.

- Top row of keys (F keys, home, end, etc) and the directional key are quite hard and don't give a good tactile feedback.
- Single directional key is barely usable for rapid movement (I often use these keys to quickly navigate code or in a document).
- Lack of a num pad is an obvious issue if you want to type a lot of numbers.
- Home, End keys are inconveniently placed.
- The F-keys are a pain to use - F7-F12 all require the use of the fn key.

If you don't use the F-keys, consider that F4 is repeat action in most Office products, alt+F4 kills windows, and F11 brings up full screen browsing in most browsers. More specifically to developing (and I'm sure there are equivalents in many lines of work), F12 brings up the developer tools in IE, and F5, F10 and F11 are important in Visual Studio.

I hope they bring out a slightly bigger version because it is very stylish and portable and I would happily buy a large version for work to compliment my media one at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS KEYBOARD!, 21 May 2010
Mr. G. Wason "Griff Wason" (UK and USA) - See all my reviews
I LOVE THIS KEYBOARD!

With the greatest of respect to Microsoft... I didn't think I would ever see a keyboard that is so aesthetically pleasing, elegant, practical, and well designed come out of the Microsoft stable - yet the MS ARC is all of these.

Context: I am a technical artist and illustrator, and I AM very picky, okay fussy about the form and function of the hardware/software I use.

I wanted ONE master keyboard to use with my many systems (Mac's and PC's), and yet smaller, wireless, functional and yet more visually pleasing than my other previous very functional yet clunky examples.

The Microsoft ARC keyboard is all of these, and the keyboards shape works beautifully in three dimensions, all the keys are where they need to be, and seem to fall naturally under the finger tips - I am sure this didn't happen by accident.

Bottom right is a 'cursor' key where it is possible to navigate: up, down, left and right using just the one 'normal sized' key - now this is genius!

The travel length of each key is about 3mm, but it is easily possible to touch type, and without the clunky/clicky sounds that accompany many keyboards.

Installation: well I plugged in the tiny USB wireless dongle, and the keyboard worked first time with no hassles using: XP Pro, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, and Windows 7... I didn't bother even unpacking the supplied software CD.

Very, very happy with this keyboard, and will probably get another as a backup

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Highly Recommended, 16 Aug 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Keyboard - UK Layout (Personal Computers)
I recently purchased this keyboard for my desktop and to use in my living room when I stream movies through to my TV.

Solid performance, no issues with connectivity all in all a great keyboard.

No problems using the directional arrow keys mentioned in some reviews (i custom built my own gaming rig and have had no issues using it when needed).

Plug and play setup - simply plug in dongle and you're away.

PROS:
- Compact size but easy to type with.
- Good wireless strength.
- Looks very sleek & modern (even though its a microsoft product?!).
- battery powered (only had it a couple of weeks and regularly forget to turn it off at night and havn't had to replace yet)

CONS:
- No caps lock light
- Doesn't auto turn off if unused but very low power use anyway.

Summary:
If you need a stylish light wireless keyboard with good functionality I would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 13 May 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Keyboard - UK Layout (Personal Computers)
I needed a small, light, wireless keyboard to support my laptop that was sitting on a deep desk. This is just what I was looking for. It is very well made, a no-brainer to set up (on windows 7) and has a very nice feel to it. The keys are slightly smaller than I would have liked but I can manage and it's certainly not hard to type. All and all a great product if you need something small and wireless.

3.0 out of 5 stars entails sacifices, 10 Mar 2012
Based on ownership approaching 1 year :

Pros - style, build quality, freedom, compact, nice tactile feel to the keys.

Cons - batteries need changing every 3-6 months and it does very occasionally crash requiring a battery pull, volume keys have lag before they change, I've never been able to type as fast as I could on a standard keyboard, no number keypad makes input telephone numbers more time consuming.

Yes I like it but style has a price its to a certain extent form over function.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great except the range could be better, 9 Sep 2011
W. Warby "wwarby" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Keyboard - UK Layout (Personal Computers)
I do love this keyboard (I'm typing this review on it). It's compact, it looks great, it's light and the batteries last for ages. I use it for my media centre PC and it isn't an eye sore on my coffee table like the one from my previous Sony VAIO media centre used to be. It's also very reasonably priced. My only criticism is the wireless range on it. I sit about 8ft from my TV and the USB dongle for the keyboard is about that distance from me. Most of the time it works fine, but occasionally I find it misses letters when I'm typing, and I have to lean forward in my chair and move it a foot closer to the TV to type properly on it. This can be truly frustrating. I hope they will one day release a version with a 30ft range or something, and I'll snap it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed!, 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Keyboard - UK Layout (Personal Computers)
Another great keyboard from MS - providing you are ready for and accept the innovative design tweaks!

Because this keyboard is about as wide as a ruler, a few design changes have been made to maintain a full size QWERTY layout.

1. Function keys double up (e.g. F1 and F7 are one of the same key) - so, for example, you hold the Fn key down and F1 to use F7
2. Navigation keys (up, down, left and right) are replace by a mini all-in-one navigation pad
3. No number pad - obviously!

So providing you're not always reaching for function, number and navigation keys - or are prepared to alter your keyboard behaviour slightly, this is a perfect keyboard if you're looking for a solid, neat, tidy and compact keyboard, this is the right keyboard for you.

I can this being a great Media PC keyboard for your living room too!

The wireless connection via a USB dongle is solid and never fails.
To make AAA batteries last as long as possible, be sure to turn the keyboard off to save power (Fn and Esc held down for a couple of secs).

3.0 out of 5 stars Connection problems, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Keyboard - UK Layout (Personal Computers)
Bought this with a wireless mouse to lose some clutter from my work station , leads and wires etc.
Some times found them to be slow and unresponsive , possibly due to the amount of other wireless traffic , iPads iPod , printers , laptops in the area , eventually lost the will to live and reverted to wired.
Having said that they are beautifully made!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Keyboard - UK Layout (Personal Computers)
I needed a replacement keyboard for a secondary desktop at home. Initially I wondered if it was worth paying the extra money for this keyboard. I decided it was and am so glad I did. This is an excellent keyboard and the design makes it very comfortable for me to use. You may look and think some keys are missing but look closer, they have cleverly been intergrated into the the design, ie the multi direction key instead of 4 arrow keys is great. The wireless dongle is tiny and neatly fits under the keyboard when on the move, also includes a case. A very eye pleasing and user friendly keyboard, well worth the few extra pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection in miniture and RSI's downfall, 7 Feb 2011
Sue Calder (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow, where do I begin.
The first thing thats hits you is how good it looks. Sleek and efficient. Several people in the office have already said how goos it looks and it was only delivered 3 hours ago!
Another thing I love is its size and simplicity. I've bought this to use in work. I have RSI quite badly in my right thumb. My hands are frequently aching at the end of the day. I found having a mouse in the standard position next to my keyboard pushed my arm out too far - that was the assessment of occupational health. So I have a separate number pad on the left and the small keyboard of the ARC in the middle which means I've been able to ove my mouse into the correct position. I can feel the relief already. Also the keys are slightly smaller and closer together so my fingers don't have to stretch as far. Great as I have small hands but not so small that someone with bigger hands would struggle. There are gaps between the keys that stop you hitting the next key by accident - nice design feature.
The keys have a nice firm feeling and generally a quality feel.
The curser keys being all in one takes all of 5 seconds to get used to especially if you've ever had a mobile with this feature.
Overall this a great keyboard and for the price incredible value.

Microsoft Arc Keyboard - UK Layout