4.0 out of 5 stars Great for bean to cup but...
This is the first Bean to Cup coffee machine I have had. I was very happy with my previous machine, a De'Longhi EC820.B Pump Espresso Coffee Machine, Black which I plan to replace with this new unit along with my coffee grinder the rather good Krups Expert GVX231 Burr Coffee Grinder Burr Coffee Grinder.

There are several De'Longhi Bean to Cup machines and I...
Published 22 months ago by marcoscu

2.0 out of 5 stars Good coffee but...
Yes it did make very good coffee. There is a design issue with the drip tray and coffee bin. If you wish to empty the drip tray then you have to empty and clean (as recommended by the manual) the coffee bin. Now as it the machine cleans itself water ends up in the drip tray.
The manual is full of "don't do or you will break the machine" sentences. It says...
Published 5 months ago by June

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Delonghi Esam4000.b Magnifica 15 Bar Bean to Cup Espresso/ Cappuccino Maker - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I decided to go for a bean-to-cup after using my son's machine. My Gaggia Classic made ok coffee, but it tended to be cold and difficult to get a decent sized mug.

Incidently, the 4000 is exactly the same as the 4200, not an earlier model - just black instead of silver (which you pay an extra 10 for).

Almost straight away I was getting an excellent cup of coffee, quickly and, of course, very easily. It heats up reasonably quickly from cold, and quicker from standby. An eco option will turn it off after a pre-set time varying for 15 minutes to 3 hours. I thought the tray was a bit flimsy, but it is not something you are pulling in and out all the time. The water tank is robust and comes out of the front rather than the top so the machine can go under a high level kitchen unit. You only need to access the top to refill with beans or to use the ground coffee option - but if you buy a bean-to-cup, why would you want to?

It is quite noisy, but they all are. It doesn't feel as solid as my son's Siemens, but you have to put this into context- it costs 280 not 500+. It does have a two year warranty. Cleaning is easy and descaling done automatically with the use of their descaling kit which costs about 7 but only needs doing every couple of months - less if in soft water (they give you a hardness tester and you set the machine accordingly)

I'm not a pretentious barista, I just like a nice cup of coffee and this machine does that admirably. I'm pleased with it and I think it compares favourably with much more expensive machines. Wilst it does have a few minor negatives I am still happy to give it 5 stars as it is very good value. If you want to spend 800 - 1000 you will get a better machine, but most of that extra money will only benefit your ego when showing off to your friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for bean to cup but..., 4 Sep 2012
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

There are several De'Longhi Bean to Cup machines and I suspect they share a core mechanism but vary greatly in the level of automation and finish. Amongst the range this is a one of the the most junior with plastic construction and manual operation. The more costly machines have a metal construction and finish along with a programmable memory and often LCD display screens. None of which will make the coffee taste any better.

The machine is well packaged and unlike the other De'Longhi machine comes with a relatively easy to read user guide. The build quality although of plastic seems to be solid and robust.

The machine will work with either roasted coffee beans or from pre ground coffee but it is clearly orientated towards the full Bean to Coffee process. Using ground coffee limits the amount and nature of the coffee you can make and is clearly something of an afterthought.

Using the machine is easy enough, it first quickly heats up and then performs a brief self cleaning routine. Beans are added to the hopper, water to the tank, select one or two cups, press the button and off it goes. Due to large internal grounds receptor it is possible to charge the machine in the morning and keep it on standby all day dispensing fresh coffee as required with no need to add more beans or water or clean the machine between cups.

The steam nozzle is works well although slightly less powerfully or noisily than on my previous machine. Cleaning the nozzle is quick and easy with just a wipe down for the plastic sheath and a quick steam burst for the inside pipework.

In use the machine is quite noisy, as most of them are, and the whole process is quite lengthy, again probably in common with its rivals. The coffee mill is supposed to be set to the optimum level at the factory but I found it necessary to set it myself to produce an satisfactory grind, an easy enough process.

Cleaning it is nice simple: just empty out the internal used coffee grounds bin and rinse it out. The machine itself will clean the internal mechanism itself before use but the insides can be removed if required should a problem arise.

The coffee it produces, once the machine has been set to your particular liking is strong and tasty with a excellent crema. This is the most important thing.

If you want an easy to use one touch bean to coffee machine at a reasonable price then this would be a great buy. If you plan to mainly use pre ground coffee then perhaps look again.

The Good
Makes great coffee
Good build quality
Excellent printed user guide
Easy to keep clean
Supplied coffee spoon stores away neatly
Large transparent water resevoir
Can be preloaded for a multiple cups of coffee

The Bad
Noisy
No cup warmer
Using pre ground coffee disappointing
Self cleaning routine is slow
Needed to reset coffee mill grind level

5.0 out of 5 stars A cup above the rest., 24 Sep 2012
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this coffee machine a joy to use. It's easy to use and literally is "Bean to cup" making fantastic, professional standard coffee with the touch of a button.

It's easy to get it perfectly in tune with your needs, as it dispenses from variable heights, meaning you can make espresso in an espresso cup, enjoy a cup of cauppuccino, or have a mug of Americano.

I found it much easier to operate using whole coffee beans as opposed to ground coffee, although the machine is pretty noisy when it operates, especially when grinding the beans.

I found it works well with any milk...I love soya milk as it froths up even better than dairy milk for topping a cappuccino, and this machine handled it with no problem. It also provided me with a very tasty hot chocolate.

Everything about this machine is great, including the ease of cleaning it and maintaining it. Despite the initial outlay, it offers fantastic value for money when compared with purchasing even a single cup per day from one of the big name retailers...it soon pays for itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee and so easy to use, 13 Sep 2012
Book Critic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I LOVE this coffee maker! The one-step process, from bean to cup, is so easy to use - once your beans are in and there's water in the tank, all you have to do is turn it on (or leave it in standby, there's an eco power-saving function that automatically switches the machine off if left unused for some time), press the button and, less than a minute later, you've got a cup of *excellent* coffee.

What I liked:
The Magnifica is refreshingly un-temperamental, needs little attention other than keeping beans and water topped up. It's easy to clean, the instructions are well laid out; the short booklet explains everything you need to know succinctly, but with enough detail to avoid confusion in plain English - no annoyingly obtuse picture-only instructions. If you do happen to do something wrong, there are a whole row of easy-to-follow warning lights to point you in the right direction.

The coffee it makes is excellent, smooth and rich with the deepest crema I've seen on a domestic machine. The grinder comes factory set but is easily adjustable - I found the first cup a little on the weak side, but quickly got it just how I like it.

You can set the machine to warm itself before making coffee. A single jet of hot water warms the tubes and your mug. It's well worth letting it do this if, like me, you like your coffee really hot.

The steamer is as easy to use as the coffee-maker; I've used it successfully with all grades of milk, soya milk and almond milk. It also makes a mean cup of cocoa.

It doesn't need cleaning often, but when it does, it's simple to do. A light comes on to tell you when you need to do it.

What I didn't like:
I found the Magnifica much less successful with ground coffee than with beans, in fact (and I freely admit this could be more to do with my incompetence than the machine) I haven't yet managed to get a single drinkable cup using ground coffee. The instructions give dire warnings about misuse of ground coffee, that not getting it right could damage the machine and this has put me off pursuing perfection in this regard. Since I'm more than happy with the coffee I'm getting from beans, why bother with ground?

In common with all other espresso/cappuccino machines I've ever owned, you can't use the coffee maker after you've used the steamer - not for some time, anyway, not unless you're really patient; the coffee-maker takes ages to come back on line after you've steamed your milk.

It's pretty noisy. It's in the nature of all grinders to be so, and the Delonghi Magnifica is.

It's plastic-build has a slightly flimsy feel - this is not likely to be a problem in the course of normal use, but I get the feeling it wouldn't stand a lot of mistreatment.

Strictly speaking, in the light of all the above, I'd give the Magnifica 4 and a half stars, rather than five, but in the light of it's ease of use and the great coffee it makes from beans, I'm happy to round up, rather than down. It's a great machine, one I'm very happy to recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, 6 Dec 2013
Have for 4 months now. Great freshly prepared coffee every time. Easy to use easy to clean.
Downsides - very noisy, asking for descaling fairly often ( and original sets are princely ).
This however is nothing compared to great coffee that it makes.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 10 Jun 2013
I've now had this machine for about three weeks... After adjusting the grind setting and the strength setting , I now have the perfect espresso to make my Americano... easily as good, if not better than what I would get from Costa or Starbucks... Curently using Waitrose espresso beans, but am also experimenting with Garraway's Costa Rica blend (available online).

This is a must for coffee-lovers, and I can't really see why anyone woukld spend more on a more upmarket machine... I can't imagine it would improve on the final product...

Go out and buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price performance and the team loves it!, 5 Jun 2013
For our company with some coffee addicts I wanted to get something to please their taste. Found this Delonghi in a shop and discovered that Amazon was 30% below the street price. Excellent price performance and the team loves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my coffee, 25 Jan 2013
Mrs. S. Beek (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
We did a lot of research when it came to replacing our old machine and eventually settled on this model. It makes fantastic coffee that you can tailor to your exact taste. Previous reviews said it was noisy and, yes it is a bit compared to a senseo etc but then this machine is grinding your beans and passing water through at pressure so of course there's noise! But not to the extent that you need ear plugs - get real people! Definitely worth recommending this machine :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good you can get, 19 Jan 2013
Martin Greenhead "martinrg" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have had this machine a few months now and can give a summary compared to the Gaggia Brera Fully Automatic Bean to Cup Espresso Coffee Machine which we have had for a year or so and absolutely love. I hate to say it but that actually there is little to choose between them in terms of operation. The Delonghi is cheaper at current prices (although Amazon seems to change them regularly as demand moves). I prefer the look of the Gaggia, but mainly because our kitchen is stainless steel.

In day to day use, you will love the Magnifica. If you've never had a machine where is grinds beans for you you will be amazed how good and relatively cheap the coffee can be, and there is no way you will return to ground coffee, and definitely not instant (can't remember the last time I had it). So be prepared to turn in to a coffee snob. In fact since we got the Gaggia I have shifted entirely from frothy latte to espresso, much to my wife's surprise (and not just because frothing the milk takes an extra minute!).

Operation is simple, just press the button and it does the hard work for an espresso. Frothing mik is just a case of filling a third of a cup with milk and then pumping in the hot water. Totally simple (although I have failed to get a froth as thick as Costa!). My favourite beans for a full, choclately cup is Café Direct Fairtrade Organic Machu Picchu Coffee Beans 227 g (Pack of 2) which are perfect for me. Talking of chocolate, the frother makes excellent quick hot chocolate just by adding a bit of Cadburys powder.

Noise wise it is loud, but the same as the Gaggia. It takes work to grind the beans and pump through the water so you kind of expect it.

I live in a hard water area and cleaning is very, very important to keep the machine running and preventing scale. This involve a lengthy rinse through with chemicals but it is only every 6 weeks or so, the same as the Gaggia.

All in all I would call this an excellent investment which will pay for itself in no time in great, grown up coffee!

No reservation at all with recommending it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great value coffee, dont use preground., 19 Feb 2014
Had this for well over 4months now. no issues.
Yes its noisey and no it isnt the sound of a high quality precision machine like the higher models or coffee shops but it works.
What matters is the output for the price. I have owned a Gaggia Classic, at first I loved the theater of grinding and snapping the holder into the heavy and industrial machine and shaking the house with a sound of high pressure pumps working against the coffee, but quickly got fed up with all the faffing around with grinders and cleaning as you go.
With this(like any bean2cup), is whole beans in one place, water in another, press a button and a cup fills with great coffee a minute later.
Beans being ground as needed should also make improvements in terms of freshness.

The hopper holds roughly 200g of beans and 1.5L of water and as a result you get around 10 cups of Americano from it which suits my weekly intake. At which point I clean the unit and dump out the perfectly formed and solid spent coffee punks, any longer and these raw coffee do start to mould. ( apparently these punks can be good for gardening?)

Advice is the same as others, (and is the same for any coffee machine or expresso maker)...experiment with the grinding size, the amount of beans used and the amount of water that is put into cup. Run a few cups through it each time.
I found the max settings were way to much, dropping them down to 3 O'clock positions made for a much better cuppa. MAx isnt always the best.

Bad:
-If there is an annoyance its the time taken to switch from coffee to steam. Mine at least, seems to only want to dispense coffee and then switch to steam after in a reasonable time. If however you steam up some milk first and then switch to coffee it seems to take around 5mins for it ready the water for coffee, dunno why.
-The ability to insert pre-ground(from the supermarket) coffee via the top doesn't have the desired results, upon inspection of the coffee pucks they aren't compacted or solid like the bean2cup system. As a result you get very watery coffee, so my advice is don't even consider this as a plus point, use a cafeteria instead.
-room for improvement inside as there is still some spillage and ground coffee finding their ways into odd places.
-for multiple cups it is slower than perhaps using a espresso maker like a Gaggia classic + separate grinder.
- no warning for low coffee beans, it will grind one bean and try and make use of it before you realize.
-you have to experiment to get the coffee-shop coffee taste you want.

Good
+Its roughly 5-10p per cup of coffee when using reasonable priced beans(14/Kg).
+lovely thick creme greats you with every cup
+can preheat a cup with a hot water 'shot' button before dropping in coffee/milk.
+adjustable head to bring the coffee closer to the cup.
+takes apart easily for cleaning
+from cold start to hot coffee its quicker than an expresso machine like the Gaggia Classic.
+Its easy to experiment with grind size and settings.