5.0 out of 5 stars Lunatics all round
I took a punt on this book after it was recommended by Amazon, and was pleasantly surprised.

Not only does the author convey beautifully the ubiquitous sense of bedlam on each of his journeys, but he does it so convincingly that I feel that I needn't ever put myself through the travails of South American coaches or Indonesian ferries.

It really is a...
Published on 8 Jun 2012 by Hammond eggs

2.0 out of 5 stars Whiner on tour
Published 13 months ago by Miran Ali

2.0 out of 5 stars Whiner on tour, 18 July 2013
Miran Ali "I don't like anonymous reviewers" (Dhaka, Bangladesh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The author starts with South America and then continuing on to Africa and Asia in his quest to take the most dangerous travel routes possible. I have never read a travelogue on South America that was quite as boring. Sadly the author has some family issues and that interferes with the narrative. Plus the fact that maybe he doesn't have much to write? Also being familiar with some of the places he visits, I rather suspect there's been some padding to make the vignettes interesting. Couldn't finish it.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of let down, 26 April 2012
Bought this book with high expectations. I love reading about other people's travels but for me this one fell flat. It wasn't particularly riveting or funny or interesting & I didn't enjoy reading it. I appreciate the effort he went to to write this book & everything he undertook but it just wasn't for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lunatics all round, 8 Jun 2012

It really is a lovely travel book, with revelations occurring for the author himself too: I particularly resonated with his temptations in India (something that has happened to me on my travels too) and enjoyed the story about the ear cleaners enormously.

On the whole it is a fun, exciting and interesting book that is perfect for one's commute. It made me realise how lucky we are that the London Underground is what it is...