5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic and/or 'quaint' perhaps, but I love it!
Published on 5 Jun. 2010 by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars PICTURE QUALITY
I love this film it is one of my favourites.But But the picture quality is not that good.I have watched it on the television and it is perfect.But why when they transfer this to dvd the quality is poor.Could have been much better!!
Published on 1 Sept. 2010 by penfal

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic and/or 'quaint' perhaps, but I love it!, 5 Jun. 2010
Chris "Reactiv8" (Herefordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
I'm so glad to see that this wonderful film has at last been released on DVD! - Long forgotten and perhaps ignored, it is a nostalgic look back to rural Gloucestershire in the 1960s with a young Ian McShane as loveable gypsy Roibin and an 'innocent' Hayley Mills as his sweetheart Bridie ... Annette Crosbie plays Bridie's alcoholic mother superbly. The film is skilfully directed by John Mills and shot on location. For those of us old enough to remember the 1960s and rural England then it is a charming step back in time, and for the younger generation a forgotten innocence too perhaps?! ...

A happy film for old and young ... Sadly a disappearing genre in this technological age ...

Treat yourself and all the family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Available on DVD, its been a long wait, but worth it., 15 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
Having first seen this film back in the mid 70's it has always been a firm favourite, and despite it being shown on television over the years, I noticed that various "cuts" have been made, dare I say to make it "politically correct" ?? My "taped" copy had began to wear out and I was always searching for this being available on DVD, although I did manage to pick up an original VHS tape some years ago, but was reluctant to play it too often for fear of wearing it out! The film, for me accurately depicts the innocent age of the late 50's early 60's and portrays our "quintessential" english way of life in rural england. The atmospheric music and superb filming really does set the film up as one of the best for its time. The locations and "sets" are all very real, and this does the film credit as it is "real life", something that films from this era always do well to portray. Modern films tend to be too "staged" and often, in my view appear "false". All the actors play their parts extremely well and its a great credit that a few of them are now household names in their own right. Overall, a superb film and well worth the 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 30 July 2009
I first saw this film donkeys years' ago and it is one that has stayed in my mind ever since. Anyone who has seen Ian McShane in the television series, Lovejoy, will appreciate his swarthy good looks. Well, I spotted them years ago!

The film is about a teenage girl who was traumatised by an incident in her childhood and is tolerated by the villagers where she lives with her drunken mother. Another incident occurs that sends the girl off into a wild flight through fields and woodland until she collapses to be rescued by Ian McShane, a gypsy passing through the area. The two young people fall in love and when the girls' mother dies suddenly, leaving her alone in the world, she decides to go with the gypsy despite opposition from various adults. One of Hayley Mills' early "grown-up" films and by now her acting is definitely improving. A good, unsophisticated romance.

3.0 out of 5 stars PICTURE QUALITY, 1 Sept. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper, 17 May 2013
SLH (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
I first saw this film when I was 12 years old and loved it so much that I spent the next ten years trying to find it to watch again. I bought the Radio Times every week to see if they would put it on TV again and eventually they did. By this time I was well into my twenties and wasn't sure how I would feel about it when I saw it again as it happens, I actually loved it more! Now in my forties this is still one of my favourite films. It is such a sweet and innocent story of two outsiders who find each other and fall in love. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a sweet little afternoon film that protrays life in simpler times....cynics probably shouldn't bother.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice one, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
A nice film, reminds me of 'whistle Down the Wind' a bit: not just for children (young teenagers) but brings back the atmosphere of those days of the early 60s when the English world was still intact, yet changes were on the horizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Movie, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
Ok - it's cheesy by today's standards, but also quite true of England as it was. Quaint and a little wild - beautifully filmed and lovely performances that are as refreshing as a Spring day. Memories of childhood and a delight without all the special effects we are swamped with nowadays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Film, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
I saw this film on TV years ago and never thought I would find it again to buy it - good for Amazon! Would recommend it, it's a very sweet film. Hayley Mills is brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars pleased, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
was very pleased with my dvd as been searching for it came in good condtion and within 5 days would buy again

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good. Made me think of a time when everything ..., 18 Aug. 2014
Mrs. Carole Buttle (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
Very good. Made me think of a time when everything was, or seemed to be much easier and simpler. I thought Hayley Mills played the part very well. It was a very unusual love story really, and I did enjoy it, and my Husband watched it because the male lead was in it. He only fell asleep for little bits of it. ha ha.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966]
Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966] by John Mills (DVD - 2010)