4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid drive, medium noise level.
Published on 22 Oct 2011 by T. Brossman

2.0 out of 5 stars Failing after a couple of weeks
Published 23 months ago by G. Mayes

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid drive, medium noise level., 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Western Digital Black - 3.5 inch 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM (Personal Computers)
These are excellent drives in general. The prices have shot up lately (late October 2011) due to shortages in manufacturing capacity. If you can wait a month or two, do so. The drive is a bit noisy when loading a large number of files, or scanning the entire disk for a backup. Most of the time it's silent during normal use. The reliability of these has been great in the past, I expect this to be no different.

Note that different sellers are packaging these differently. Drives are extremely fragile and must be packaged well. Mine arrived and it appeared to have been packaged by wild apes. It was in an unsealed bubble envelope, placed in a paperboard box with one inflated and one deflated air cushion. It was rattling around loose and had damaged sectors on the first power up. The good news? These have a five-year guarantee that I will almost certainly be needing. I'll just keep on making regular backups.

##EDIT##
215 power cycles and only three months, and it's dead. Returning it to Shop4USB for a replacement. My second one (Sold by and packaged by Amazon) is still going strong. Highly recommended drive, just watch how it is packaged for shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars quick fast and hopefully reliable, 5 Mar 2011
I'm a photographer so need lots of fast storage space so I got 2 (more) of these to replace a couple of smaller working drives, and guess what ... they do just what they advertise (and despite being larger seem to be quicker than my old WD caviar black drives, extra cache perhaps?).
... so what else is there to say except WD are the only disk manufacturer I trust these days (I always stay away from "green power" drives though, heard a few horrors about them).

If you are after quick, fairly big and fast HDD's then these are the mommas ... and at this price a pretty sweet deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile upgrade even on an older PC., 20 May 2012
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This hard disk was an upgrade to my son's several year old gaming rig. The PC was pretty state of the art when we bought it, but is now increasingly becoming out of date. The original hard disk (also a Western Digital) was 250GB which felt huge when we bought it, but is really not enough these days.

The first thing to point out about this hard disk is that it is an OEM model, so you only get the disk and no cables or fitting kit etc. For a SATA power and data cable you could try this which I also bought and which worked perfectly: Wired--Up 1 SATA Power Adapter Cable and 1 SATA Data Cable

The PC in which I fitted the disk only has a SATA 1 (150 MB/sec) controller, so I was a little concerned that I might not benefit from the full potential of the drive. My basic test of start up and shut down speeds showed a pretty dramatic improvement though!

Before:
Start-up (on a reasonably new installation of Windows 7, from power on including POST checks to usable desktop) - 1 minute 32 seconds.
Shutdown - 15 seconds.

After:
Start-up (new install of Windows 7, from power on including POST checks to usable desktop) - 50 seconds.
Shutdown - 6 seconds.

As you can see, the start-up and shutdown speeds have both improved quite noticeably. Games now load considerably faster too.

I should also comment on the packaging. I bought this drive directly from Amazon, not through the Marketplace and the packaging was fine. The drive was in a genuine hard disk transport box, that was then packed a second box with enough brown paper packed in to prevent the box moving around. - no problems at all in my opinion.

Overall: - 5 stars - A worthwhile upgrade on even a SATA 1 motherboard. The disk is not just bigger than the one it replaced, but is much faster and is quiet too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speedy and large, but a little loud and takes time to spin up, 2 Feb 2013
If you're looking for a high-performance WD drive and don't care about power requirements, then this is their best offering. It's faster than the WD Green and obviously better for average users than the specialised Blue or Red. That means it's great for storing files and most games on because it will offer enough performance to speed through those tasks without being wallet-shrivellingly expensive like a high-capacity SSD or a 10,000 RPM HDD.

That said, if you're going with the usual SSD-as-boot-drive, HDD-as-slave-drive method, you should be aware that since it powers down if you don't use it for a while, then it will take a second or two to spin back up to speed. This by itself wouldn't be a problem, but for two things:

1) It's quite noisy. My old HDD was made by Samsung and since that was the only drive in the computer, it was always powered on and spinning but it couldn't be heard above the whooshing of the fans. If your computer is already noisy this won't be so much of an issue but if you're going for a silent PC then get a solid state drive. That's a no-brainer.

2) The spin-up time actually causes some programs to crash. I'm not sure why this is but if I start a program from the SSD that needs to access files on the HDD, the spin-up time is usually enough to cause the program to freeze and require a manual shut-down. 2 times out of ten the freeze is temporary and it will continue after a short pause but mostly it crashes. HOWEVER, this doesn't seem to apply to programs that are installed on the HDD, only ones that need to access data from it. Speedfan is the most obvious example, because it needs the temperature sensor. Another would be GIMP, though strangely not Photoshop. VLC player and iTunes are also not affected.

I've only knocked one star off between those two faults, because this is a very quick hard drive and the faults are only minor annoyances that I doubt are exclusive to this drive. There might be faster, more expensive options or more energy efficient drives but I'm really happy with this and would easily buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 3 Aug 2010
I bought three of these for a raid solution and they work brilliantly. Even on their own they are the fastest 7200rpm drives I have have used to date. Only surpassed by the 10000 rpm Raptor or Veloci-raptor drives from WD.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good HDD despite the magazine review, 9 July 2013
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I found that clients with high resilience data centres had fixed views on the make of UPSs, static switches and even cabinets that they would deploy. That was based primarily on the reliabilty of the kit. As a home user I went through an overclocking phase and after that, I wanted my system to be fault free and reliable. PC Pro magazine's August 2013 review said that it could not recommend the Caviar Black 1 TB HDD based on performance benchmarks. So I checked the SMART data on one of my Western Digital IDE HDDs and it has clocked 2,500 hours power on duty without a glitch. I should add that I've only run IBM / Hitachi and Western Digital IDE HDDs. I have a lot of respect of PC Pro, but my system doesn't have their A List Seagate Barracuda, based on reliability alone I went for the current WD Caviar Black. Only time will tell if that was a poor choice but it's running very nicely in my system and sits well with an Intel 520 SSD (my primary drive) Intel SSD 520 Series 2.5 inch 120GB 6GB/S MLC Resell 25nm Solid State Drive. People have said that the WD Caviar Black is noisy and whilst I admit that it runs in a Fractal Design R4 case Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl, I can't hear it in what is an exceptionally quiet system. If it all falls over I'll be back to update my review, until then I'll read the comments regarding issues with the Barracuda and think that performance benchmarks don't always tell the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars caviar black HHD, 4 Dec 2011
swapped out a caviar green for the caviar black - yes it's faster but not a lot it added one point to the windows experience score , taking it from 7.4 to 7.5
it is coupled with a 256Gb SSD which of course does all the serious work. and the i7 processor & gen 3 board. On the whole it is a good drive and Western are a reliable piece of kit.I could not recommend it as the best choice for the operating systems but it is great for storage of music films etc. giving fast read write times.

2.0 out of 5 stars Failing after a couple of weeks, 4 May 2012
G. Mayes "apollo" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this drive as I was tired of my drives failing after a few years and having to install new drives and the hassles that go along with that (installing operating system and programs etc). This is supposed to be top of the line and ultra reliable, so was disappointed to find bad sectors on it after only a few weeks which cant be repaired, meaning I cant do a system back up which is really annoying. Bad sector hasn't affected the running but as I say stops me doing a back up of the drive. Will be returning soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, 5 Jan 2011
Mervyn Walters (Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
I like this hard drive a lot, got it as a replacement for a 750GB Seagate Barracuda that had a problem. The only gripe I have is the thing is the noisiest HDD that I have ever had, it clicks away merrily almost constantly.... but that may just be because of my case, and it really doesn't annoy me that much. After what happened to my old drive I am happy to know that it is alive and well; and I really don't like the green drives that are available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, fantastic price. Only a few minor issues, 1 Nov 2010
Mr. J. Crook (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I brought this drive as my 500GB SATAII 32MB Cache Western Digital Black drive was getting full.

It was as easy to install into the computer as any hard drive. Doesn't come with any cables or screws but like the other review I had spares.

The drive is a SATAIII 600 drive, you need a Sata600 motherboard to use the drives full 600mbps transfer rate, but it is backwards compatible with SATAII at 300mbps.

The drive is noiser than my 500GB Cavier Black but not so loud to cause a problem and my computer is on the desk next to me

Overal this is a great drive that has great performance especially if you have a motherboard that can take it to full speed, but even if not its future proof(for now at least)

***** The drive for me only showed 31MB in size to begin with ****

After having the drive into the computer I was going to format within Windows 7. However, it didn't show in Windows. I thought it may be as the drive isn't formatted etc

Computer Management in Windows 7 showed the drive as 31MB, i initialised the drive but to no avail. In bios it showed as 1025GB so I tried using my Windows 7 setup disk, sadly the drive still didn't show.

What you need to do is download Seagate's Seatools for DOS, burn to disk, boot to that disk and click at the top "use maximum drive size" or something to that affect, it will then make the drive the full 1TB.

The product loses 1 star due to that problem