4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid drive, medium noise level.
Published on 22 Oct 2011 by T. Brossman

3.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 3 years
Loud clicks . tested and confirmed, seriously in danger of failing completely. First noticed when it was not booting into Windows !
Published 29 days ago by rustynuts

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid drive, medium noise level., 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Western Digital Black - 3.5 inch 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM (Personal Computers)
These are excellent drives in general. The prices have shot up lately (late October 2011) due to shortages in manufacturing capacity. If you can wait a month or two, do so. The drive is a bit noisy when loading a large number of files, or scanning the entire disk for a backup. Most of the time it's silent during normal use. The reliability of these has been great in the past, I expect this to be no different.

Note that different sellers are packaging these differently. Drives are extremely fragile and must be packaged well. Mine arrived and it appeared to have been packaged by wild apes. It was in an unsealed bubble envelope, placed in a paperboard box with one inflated and one deflated air cushion. It was rattling around loose and had damaged sectors on the first power up. The good news? These have a five-year guarantee that I will almost certainly be needing. I'll just keep on making regular backups.

##EDIT##
215 power cycles and only three months, and it's dead. Returning it to Shop4USB for a replacement. My second one (Sold by and packaged by Amazon) is still going strong. Highly recommended drive, just watch how it is packaged for shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars quick fast and hopefully reliable, 5 Mar 2011
I'm a photographer so need lots of fast storage space so I got 2 (more) of these to replace a couple of smaller working drives, and guess what ... they do just what they advertise (and despite being larger seem to be quicker than my old WD caviar black drives, extra cache perhaps?).
... so what else is there to say except WD are the only disk manufacturer I trust these days (I always stay away from "green power" drives though, heard a few horrors about them).

If you are after quick, fairly big and fast HDD's then these are the mommas ... and at this price a pretty sweet deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile upgrade even on an older PC., 20 May 2012
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This hard disk was an upgrade to my son's several year old gaming rig. The PC was pretty state of the art when we bought it, but is now increasingly becoming out of date. The original hard disk (also a Western Digital) was 250GB which felt huge when we bought it, but is really not enough these days.

The first thing to point out about this hard disk is that it is an OEM model, so you only get the disk and no cables or fitting kit etc. For a SATA power and data cable you could try this which I also bought and which worked perfectly: Wired--Up 1 SATA Power Adapter Cable and 1 SATA Data Cable

The PC in which I fitted the disk only has a SATA 1 (150 MB/sec) controller, so I was a little concerned that I might not benefit from the full potential of the drive. My basic test of start up and shut down speeds showed a pretty dramatic improvement though!

Before:
Start-up (on a reasonably new installation of Windows 7, from power on including POST checks to usable desktop) - 1 minute 32 seconds.
Shutdown - 15 seconds.

After:
Start-up (new install of Windows 7, from power on including POST checks to usable desktop) - 50 seconds.
Shutdown - 6 seconds.

As you can see, the start-up and shutdown speeds have both improved quite noticeably. Games now load considerably faster too.

I should also comment on the packaging. I bought this drive directly from Amazon, not through the Marketplace and the packaging was fine. The drive was in a genuine hard disk transport box, that was then packed a second box with enough brown paper packed in to prevent the box moving around. - no problems at all in my opinion.

Overall: - 5 stars - A worthwhile upgrade on even a SATA 1 motherboard. The disk is not just bigger than the one it replaced, but is much faster and is quiet too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 3 Aug 2010
I bought three of these for a raid solution and they work brilliantly. Even on their own they are the fastest 7200rpm drives I have have used to date. Only surpassed by the 10000 rpm Raptor or Veloci-raptor drives from WD.

Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Speedy and large, but a little loud and takes time to spin up, 2 Feb 2013
If you're looking for a high-performance WD drive and don't care about power requirements, then this is their best offering. It's faster than the WD Green and obviously better for average users than the specialised Blue or Red. That means it's great for storing files and most games on because it will offer enough performance to speed through those tasks without being wallet-shrivellingly expensive like a high-capacity SSD or a 10,000 RPM HDD.

That said, if you're going with the usual SSD-as-boot-drive, HDD-as-slave-drive method, you should be aware that since it powers down if you don't use it for a while, then it will take a second or two to spin back up to speed. This by itself wouldn't be a problem, but for two things:

1) It's quite noisy. My old HDD was made by Samsung and since that was the only drive in the computer, it was always powered on and spinning but it couldn't be heard above the whooshing of the fans. If your computer is already noisy this won't be so much of an issue but if you're going for a silent PC then get a solid state drive. That's a no-brainer.

2) The spin-up time actually causes some programs to crash. I'm not sure why this is but if I start a program from the SSD that needs to access files on the HDD, the spin-up time is usually enough to cause the program to freeze and require a manual shut-down. 2 times out of ten the freeze is temporary and it will continue after a short pause but mostly it crashes. HOWEVER, this doesn't seem to apply to programs that are installed on the HDD, only ones that need to access data from it. Speedfan is the most obvious example, because it needs the temperature sensor. Another would be GIMP, though strangely not Photoshop. VLC player and iTunes are also not affected.

I've only knocked one star off between those two faults, because this is a very quick hard drive and the faults are only minor annoyances that I doubt are exclusive to this drive. There might be faster, more expensive options or more energy efficient drives but I'm really happy with this and would easily buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good HDD despite the magazine review, 9 July 2013
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I found that clients with high resilience data centres had fixed views on the make of UPSs, static switches and even cabinets that they would deploy. That was based primarily on the reliabilty of the kit. As a home user I went through an overclocking phase and after that, I wanted my system to be fault free and reliable. PC Pro magazine's August 2013 review said that it could not recommend the Caviar Black 1 TB HDD based on performance benchmarks. So I checked the SMART data on one of my Western Digital IDE HDDs and it has clocked 2,500 hours power on duty without a glitch. I should add that I've only run IBM / Hitachi and Western Digital IDE HDDs. I have a lot of respect of PC Pro, but my system doesn't have their A List Seagate Barracuda, based on reliability alone I went for the current WD Caviar Black. Only time will tell if that was a poor choice but it's running very nicely in my system and sits well with an Intel 520 SSD (my primary drive) Intel SSD 520 Series 2.5 inch 120GB 6GB/S MLC Resell 25nm Solid State Drive. People have said that the WD Caviar Black is noisy and whilst I admit that it runs in a Fractal Design R4 case Fractal Design Define R4 PC Case - Black/Pearl, I can't hear it in what is an exceptionally quiet system. If it all falls over I'll be back to update my review, until then I'll read the comments regarding issues with the Barracuda and think that performance benchmarks don't always tell the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars caviar black HHD, 4 Dec 2011
swapped out a caviar green for the caviar black - yes it's faster but not a lot it added one point to the windows experience score , taking it from 7.4 to 7.5
it is coupled with a 256Gb SSD which of course does all the serious work. and the i7 processor & gen 3 board. On the whole it is a good drive and Western are a reliable piece of kit.I could not recommend it as the best choice for the operating systems but it is great for storage of music films etc. giving fast read write times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of essential hardware, 6 July 2013
Product arrived well in time, no damage, basic OEM packaging, anti-static bag, surrounded by air bags.

NOTE: THIS DOES NOT COME WITH A SATA CABLE, SO DO NOT MOAN ABOUT NOT GETTING ONE.

SATA cables are pretty cheap, and if like me you build systems regularly, you have a surplus of them.
If not and you are building the system just for yourself, if you buy a mother board 99% of the time they are supplied with a SATA 6gb/s and 3gb/s cable. Use the 6gb/s on your HDD and 3gb/s on your optical drive.

This hard drive is nice and quiet and runs very fast. Its so fast infact, I loaded the OS onto it instead of onto the SDD to make use of all the memory on the SDD for games!

Very nice price for this product too, was a bit hard to come by this black HDD though, mainly green and blue on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 3 Mar 2013
I've used WD drives for a long time, and now have two of these WD black vesions in my machine. They are good value, quick at what they do and I've never had a failure from a WD HDD. They are very quiet and easily mounted into any case. Would not hesitate to buy a WD Caviar black again. Biggest cache going, reliable and plenty of capacity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Value, Reliable, Zippy Drive, 21 April 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It really is incredible how the prices of such quality hard drives has fallen. Most folks are migrating to SSDs, and that could be the major contributing factor.

Yet at this price it really is hard to discount the Western Digital Black, (or any decent hard drive for that matter) especially if you do not have the latest SATA 3 motherboards for which SSD are optimized.

The dual processor 64mb cache make this drive a very viable option for those seeking a high speed drive at a very low price. I have always bought black versions from Western Digital, so I cannot comment on the green versions. Now that I have a 1TB SSD, I use the WD for backing up of important data.

As far as reliability goes, the Western Digital Black is as good as it gets.

ARRAY(0xb41e2474)