on 26 February 2013
I found this to be a very easy read and it presents some great techniques. The language (examples) used are a bit "cheesy" but I think this is only to emphasise the techniques. You should apply your own style and language to the methods.
on 22 March 2010
This book is a rare gem!
Fun and easy to read it flows and inspires.
Whether you are a seasoned professional coach or just starting out in personal development this book is a useful addition to your collection. Rintu Basu captures the principles and puts into very practical contexts how to actually use all of the tools he describes. The whole book is formatted in a way that reinforces the learning as it builds a case for each method by demonstrating how it has just been employed on you.... the reader!
Just the first 3 patterns he describes The Redefine, Agreement Frames and Pattern Interrupts yield enough fresh insights and fun tools to try that more than justify owning this book!
As a coach I found this to be a page turning refresher of a book and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the subject of NLP as a learning resource but even more for the casual reader who just wants to tune up or develop some new skills to facilitate performance with some self coaching and improve whatever career or business you may be in today.
on 4 June 2009
If you are familiar with NLP and want to brush up on your skills, give you the confidence to actively use your skills and techniques in the real world, then this is an excellent refresher. If on the other hand, you know nothing about NLP other than the initials, then this book will illustrate and demonstrate what it is, how it works and how you can use it. Written in a practical, informal and conversational manner, makes NLP very accessible to all.
on 30 March 2010
As a Master Practitioner in NLP I thought I'd be reading what I already knew, even the patterns I knew were presented in ways that I hadn't thought of previously using and the book has really renewed my passion for skillful persuasion - I tried all the patterns on unsuspecting strangers and they work wonderfully. this really is an excellent book whether you are new to NLP or have used it in the past, it works for absolutely everyone - loved it!
44 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2009
As a secondary school teacher I was looking for another selection of tools to add to my professional armoury and found some useful additions in this book.

The X is Y argument, Agreement frames (great with senior managers) and Pattern interruptions (especially good with 14 - 15 year olds `going off on one') are my favourites and they do work. However a word of warning, don't buy this book thinking it is the panacea or silver bullet you have been looking for. You get out what you are prepared to put in and in this case its practice.

Finally, I agree that in the written form NLP does, to some, appear to be little more than clumsy grammar but in the spoken form its very powerful and rarely detected. After all if someone was dictating your spoken dialogue word for word I doubt if it would translate into a grammatical master piece and this is why most NLP patterns go under the radar.

Hopes this helps others with their purchasing decision.
on 7 October 2009
Having been through the NLP mill and come out the other side, I know that I don't use half of the skills I learnt as effectively as I could. However, this book has re-awakened my interest as it does what it says on the tin. It cuts through some of the more complex NLP theories and gives you straightforward help on how to use language patterns in your life, work and business. I think that it would help if you had some grounding in NLP before you read the book as it still gets a little technical in places and the author does jump around somewhat, which is the only reason I gave it 4 not 5 stars.

My tip would be to read the book, practice some of the exercises and then go back through it with a highlighter pen and pencil and make notes on all the bits you want to use again and again. This is what I did and I have got a lot more out of the book using it in this way. I have used some of the language patterns and they do work and make a big difference to the way you communicate with people both verbally and when you are writing. As a marketeer and author of The Brighter Marketing Bible, making sure that your marketing is inspiring and persuasive is vitally important and this book can help you become more effective at communicating.
on 18 March 2009
My experience with the book has been that I've got far more from it than I expected.

Every area of life, whether in interaction with others or your own internal dialogue, involves language and persuasion skills, making this material applicable to every situation. I received the book, 166 pages which break down a large and complicated area into small, simple chunks that are easy to understand and apply immediately in the real world. The emphasis on practice, the presentation of the material, and many other factors combine to take you to a point where the material impacts your thoughts and actions, which means that daily communication is never quite the same again.

In the book it is said that the skills can be learned with a daily time commitment of just ten minutes. While I agree this is possible, I found I was spending longer in order to learn and practice the skills. One thing I would like to have seen was a concise list of all patterns covered at the end, with a brief description of each, for an at a glance reminder.

The issue isn't necessarily being given the patterns and conversation models, but how they are given, in order to make them straightforward to use, which is exactly what this book achieves.
on 22 October 2013
As a professional hypnotherapist and Master NLP practitioner, NLP and hypnosis books litter my house, my clinic and my office, and I'm often disappointed at the rehashing of basic concepts dressing them up as something new. Many writers have little new to offer, however, Rintu Basu's approach is interesting, educational and his suggestions stick (good hypnosis then!). They also work. His simple framework, accessible writing and clear definitions and examples bely just how sophisticated this work is. Consequently, this book is suitable for both the professional and the beginner. Really pleased with my purchase, and just wish I'd bought the paper edition instead of the Kindle.
on 22 March 2010
Even as an NLP Master Practitioner, I still got great value form this book. There are so many other things you can do with NLP beyond its normal uses, this brilliant book explores them in detail. Thank you Rintu for opening my eyes.
on 27 May 2012
Rintu Basu has put together a great book for those wanting to start putting NLP to practical use. I've read complaints by reviewers suggesting that the book is more filler than information. This 'filler' is essential. Without Rintu showing these practical solutions you'd be lost. I enjoyed reading this on my Kindle in the back garden this week whilst soaking up some sun, so I haven't put it to much practical use just yet. But the stories he shows are enough to embed the methods into your subconscious. I found myself recently noticing my online messages containing a lot of NLP (and I adapted certain parts to have better uses of NLP and found it to have an extremely positive effect). At the very least this book has taught me why my speech has endeared me to many, and more so, it's taught me new tricks and made me feel more confident in the use of language. If anything, just knowing how certain things work for you and don't work for you is enough to make this a book worth buying.

The first 2/5 of the book are, in my opinion, rather boring. It was perhaps interesting to read the mechanics behind these things but it seemed very much general knowledge. I almost gave up reading, but I gave it a chance and found the rest of the book to be fantastic. You really start to enjoy the book once you reach the midway point. That is when he really introduces the good stuff. The issue isn't how long it takes him to get the information across, it's how effectively he does it. Even if you miss certain bits you still find that his style alone will be embedded into your subconscious and will have some affect on, at least, your written/typed work (unless you follow his practice methods). I find this book will make you feel more confident in situations where you need to sound more persuasive. This book alone won't turn you into a Derren Brown but it's a start. Imagine how much better your conversations can be if you have more control over what's going on. I feel the value of this information far outweighs the price, if I didn't feel that way then this book wouldn't have been my first review - nor would it get 5 stars.

I'm definitely considering one of his courses on his site. So much powerful information and apparently this is nothing compared to what he's kept in hiding. Thanks, Boss!