4.0 out of 5 stars Final SATC film?
I did enjoy this film and am glad I bought it as I now have the complete set of all series and film No. 1 but I have to say that I didn't think it was as good as the fist film and nowhere near as good as any of the series - however as I said already I am glad I bought it - maybe if I watch it again I will enjoy it better.
Published on 22 Jun 2011 by Anna

1.0 out of 5 stars It saddens me how bad this film is.
Firstly, like many people, I was a huge fan of the original Sex and the City series. I have the box set and have watched it numerous times. I equally enjoyed the first movie and was therefore excited for the second movie.

What a huge disappointment. Fancy (and somewhat ridiculous) clothes do not make a movie.

The plot of the movie is basically poor...
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Amy

1.0 out of 5 stars It saddens me how bad this film is., 4 Jan 2011
Amy (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)

The plot of the movie is basically poor Carrie Bradshaw, after finally getting married to Mr Big she is stuck in a rut. They have this fabulous apartment full of designer clothes and both have ridiculously well paid jobs. But boring old Mr Big wants a TV in the bedroom! And he doesn't want to attend movie premieres with vapid people! And he wants to stay in for dinner! So Carrie has a moan and then when a book reviewer calls her out on her bull crap, her and the ladies head of to Abu Dhabi. Queue lots of ignorance about Middle Eastern culture and some embarrassing scenes topped off with ridiculous clothes. Charlotte is afraid her hubby is cheating on her with the bra-less nanny, Miranda has quit her job because her boss doesn't like her and Samantha is the same old Samantha. Also, poor Charlotte is having a hideous time because as a full time Mum with a full time Nanny, she is finding it very difficult raising her two children in the Fifth Avenue apartment.

The film is basically offensive to anyone who watches it. They seem to have forgotten their audience and why the TV series was so popular. Yes viewers loved the fashion aspect of the show, but it was mainly the story of four women in a big city looking for love that captured the viewers attention. Carrie moaning about having to stay in for dinner whilst millions of people are struggling in the current world wide economy just angered me. I remember when the film first started production and there was rumours that the storyline would revolve around Big losing his job. I feel that would have made a better storyline for the movie and allowed for the audience to relate to Carrie, instead of her flaunting a different outfit in every scene. The real problem with the film is a lack of a real storyline. In the first movie we had Carrie planning her wedding, the wedding and then the outcome of being left at the alter. This movie just didn't have any real focus, none of the characters went on any sort of journey or improved themselves.

If you take this film with a pinch of salt and just appreciate the two hour fashion show, then it is mildly entertaining. But I would recommend watching the box set or the first movie, and just forgetting this ever happened.

1.0 out of 5 stars My eyes are bleeding, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Like many other reviewers on here, I loved the TV series and the first film. They were funny, observant and great entertainment. This film, however, is none of these. It is atrocious.

From the outset, it is buttock clenching stuff. The wedding between Anthony and Stanford is just awful with a cameo from Liza (with a zee) Minelli "singing". Awful stuff. It doesn't get any better.

The "girls" (I use this word advisedly) are all now a bit older and they look it. They are all far too thin and this makes them look drawn and haggard and for a franchise that is really all about looks and clothes, this is not good. They go on a jolly to the middle east where there are the usual cliches about burkhas, etc etc. For four supposed women of the world not to know about this mode of dress is highly unbelievable. Embarrassing really. Carrie and Big seem to be having a bit of spat about him staying in every night (well, he is nearly 60) and she's not happy so off she pops with the "girls" only to meet old love Aiden in a market. What are the chances, eh? Miranda quits her job (as you do on a whim) but can afford to go on holiday. Charlotte is having problems with her two children despite having a full time nanny in tow. She also does her baking in a vintage Valentino skirt (as you do). And as for Samantha, for a character who was funny, independent and sassy, she is now just a dirty old woman. Oh, and there's a scene where the four of them get up and do karaoke. Actually, I admit I fast forwarded this bit due to my own embarrassment for them.

This is a disappointment in the extreme. There is an extra DVD with stuff about the making of. Michael Patrick King (producer, etc) waxes lyrical as if he was making War and Peace. My only conclusion is that the four main characters did this for the money. It certainly was not the for the calibre of the storyline.

Avoid this rubbish at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Loved the first film, hated this. Not funny, not interesting, script was dire, some scenes were so desperate it was embarrassing to watch, the acting from all the characters gave me the feeling that they would all rather have been somewhere else, in fact I thought overall it was all quite depressing. Shame.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, too long, with a weak storyline and script, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
This is just terrible. A tedious and slow moving script with a predictable storyline.
It seemed like they padded out the first hour and a half with dresses (which a lot of the time looked like fancy dress), posing and plush hotels,
then the last 15 minutes was slapstick although more interesting than what had come before.
Would not recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sex and the Flump, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Possibly the worst movie going' All based around four women who were moaning about how crap their lives were, the same life they had wished for for god knows how long' Charlotte can't handle her children and is constantly worrying about her husband cheating on her, Samantha can't handle the thought of losing her `urge' so is popping pills left, right and centre which I think degrades the phrase of `growing old naturally'. Moreover, Carrie, do not get me started. Cheating on her husband in a new country with her ex boyfriend. Farfetched or what??
Girls, sorry, Women. Women would love to have the life you want.
Oh, and Miranda. She was there for the prop. I have forgotten what her story line was.
Out of ten, I rate this two. Only women who live in New York who cannot handle the fabulous life style should watch this. Get a tip or two.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as awful as some have said, 19 Jan 2011
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Sex and the City - in my humble opinion - should have ended after the series finished to leave its superb finale intact. Nevertheless, a money-spinning movie was commissioned which appealed to fans of fashion but not to fans of good films. Or to put it more bluntly: The series was great and the movie stunk.

So, the inevitable sequel was released and it got absolutely panned by the critics and even the fans. In truth, it is not a good film. But in honesty, it's not as bad as some people have suggested.

The opening sequence is quite painful. Central characters like Harry and Steve are wheeled on to say a line to include them in the movie before being wheeled off again and the idea of the Stanford and Anthony getting married is as ridiculous as their wedding - Liza Minnelli and all.

It is at this point that stories begin to develop with Miranda showing frustration at her job, Charlotte feeling insecure about her beautiful (and bra-less) nanny and Carrie seems to be settling into a rut with Mr Big. Unfortunately, only the last of these stories is properly developed with Charlotte's story being a 'blink and you could miss it' sub-plot.

Over to Abu Dhabi, where the girls are being treated to a luxury week away by a client of Samantha, the film begins to develop more like an extended episode of the series. Samantha is constantly at odds with the patriarchal society which eventually lands her is series hot water with the kind of hilarity which could only accompany her. There is also a lovely, albeit all too brief scene with Miranda and Charlotte, talking about the difficulties of motherhood and the pressures it puts on them.

Unfortunately, the ludicrous - secret society of fashion hungry (and English speaking?) women of Abu Dhabi and the absurdity of Carrie meeting Aiden half way around the World drag the film down. The film does lift itself at the end with a satisfactory conclusion to the women's problems, but not enough to make up for the many faults that have gone before it.

Ultimately, the film succeeds in a way that the first did not because it plays out like a long episode, and so owes more to the brilliant TV Show than the awful first movie that preceded it. But it ignores key plot elements, contains some outright absurdities and tries to get by on its glitz and fashion. Certainly not my first choice of films or even close to it but I can think of worse ways to spend an evening than watching this film, albeit not many.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish! A pale imitation, 12 Aug 2010
D. Cowan "dc72" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
As someone who owns the DVD of all 6 series of SATC, it really pains me to say that this movie SATC 2 is just apalling! i wish i hadn't seen it as it has almost destroyed my fondness for the tv series.
There is no storyline to speak of
SJP's Carrie Bradshaw comes across as a whiney teenager. (OMG I kissed a guy!!!) Tedious!
Samantha looks amazing but her character is cheapened by a couple of the scenes which are rather uncomfortable to watch.
The girls (ok women now) are all supposed to be intelligent professionals, but they come across as ignorant tourists, gawping at women in Burkas etc. Cringe!
Miranda's only storyline is not developed at all, perhaps showing her work struggles a bit more would have added some depth?
Charlotte is struggling with motherhood...although she doesn't have a job, has a nanny and has a very comfortable life...hard to feel sorry for her really.
The gay wedding is so embarrassing and is turned into a bit of a circus/freak show. It was badly botched...and don't get me started on the whole 'if you like it then you should have put a ring on it' scene double cringe!!!

Michael Patrick King needs to get under the skin of these characters and inject some of the heart, soul and depth that made the tv show so good in the first place. They are not just life sized dolls for a gay man to dress up and play around with.
I really hope there is a 3rd and final film which will redeem this pile of junk film and send the girls off with some dignity.

1.0 out of 5 stars SATC 2, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely adore the TV series of SATC, I also enjoyed the first film although I did find the constant designer name dropping rather irritating.
But the second film, I could not believe what I was watching. The characters appear completely devoid of class, education, manners, soul and comedy.
The way they behave in Abu Dhabi is racist and ignorant, the cheap laughs are really not funny at all and their whole characters revolve around money and possessions.The characters in the TV series had class, were warm and funny, educated, sophisticated and the friendships well developed. In the film all of this is lost, it was clearly about making big film money with no thought to how the characters would have developed.
I left the cinema feeling disgusted and ripped off and will not be buying this DVD even though I own the TV box set and the first film. Don't waste your money, unless you find crudeness and ignorance funny. I would have given zero stars if it were possible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful film., 26 Nov 2010
As a guy I didnt expect to like the first SATC film when I was dragged to see it at the pictures but, it was great! I bought it for my wife straight away when it came out.

However, SATC 2 is so boring that you will watch it once and never again. Its not funny at all and has no storyline, it just doesnt work outside of New York.

Trust me, unless its 4.99 inc delivery DO NOT BUY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Final SATC film?, 22 Jun 2011

ARRAY(0xabdc0f24)

Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Sex And The City 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] by Sarah Jessica Parker (DVD - 2010)
2.99