4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but still great!
After having completed the game and played all aspects, i can happily say the game is great and i'm glad i bought it, but it comes not without penalty. It has good & bad points like most games. For me the good points are:

- The amazing gameplay and solid storyline that you'd expect from call of duty now days, the moments where you do more than just shoot...
Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by B. white

3.0 out of 5 stars CoD BlOps (what a silly name)
It's hard not to recommend a new Call of Duty game, what with the continually high standard of gameplay, the ever addictive multiplayer, now with a revamped upgrade system, and new modes and the fan favourite zombies mode which is a frustrating endeavour alone but becomes a fun divulgence with friends.

If you wanna be where the multiplayer community is at...
Published on 27 July 2011 by Allan Mayor

good

4.0 out of 5 stars Server Issues, 24 Nov. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've chosen to wait it out and soak in the game before submitting a review.

On purchasing the game (Xbox 360), I did - as I always do - jump straight into the campaign on veteran, aiming for the full 1000 gamerscore. I decided to put the multiplayer to the back, giving it a couple of weeks for Treyarch/Activision to release their updates, cleaning out any initial glitches shipped on the disc.

I have to say, the single player is fairly strong. It's hard to deny, the graphics look fantastic. The character models are impressive. Treyarchs move from WWII (finally!) is very welcoming.
The only low point for me is the seriously convoluted storyline that moves at such a pace that I felt I had no interest OR opportunity to connect with the main protagonists. It felt like I was getting peddled from level to level by "jigsaw" from the "Saw" series and that the ending was heavily influenced by "Fight Club".

Overall the single player was a palpable effort from - the hugely overshadowed - Treyarch. It neither turned me away or drew me in.

Having moved from the single player to multiplayer, I found I was at a greater disadvantage, having left it so late to join the online battle, I often find myself with the lowest rank in the game and constantly getting caught out by gamers who have unlocked all the equipment that works in their favour. I found the idea of currency fantastic, till, I realised we still have to unlock the guns before we are given the choice to buy them, making the hyped change from MW2 completely redundant.

In a few short weeks, it has become quite clear that "modders" have set up camp in a big way with this release. I've had the misfortune of playing with people already on their 15th and final prestige. I have encountered clan tag modifications. I have played in lobbies with users sporting "lag switches". I have been "quickscoped". I have around 250 deaths clocked by the RC-XD. I have been backed into corners by team mates on numerous occasions.

The server issue is still a problem, I find myself waiting considerable amounts of time before getting into a match. I recently upgraded my internet package and run 50 meg fibre optic, which means, the problem is definitely not on my shoulders.

This doesn't deter my enjoyment when I play, just greatly reduces my clocked hours - having "rage quit" countless times -, of which there still is many.

The maps are lacking, which if Activision had anything to do with it is more than likely deliberate, thus, giving the player even more incentive to pay for the overpriced map packs that will inevitably follow.

Overall. I still feel this is a strong release for the IP and I will definitely recommend and play it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally COD is back!!, 10 Nov. 2010
Mr. Paul Thompson "pault24" (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Thought I would leave a review since most of them on here seem to be based on amazons delivery of the game and not the game itself.

Having played all the CODs and with World At War and COD 4 being my favs I have to say I really enjoy Black OPs. In my opinion it is better than Modern Warfare 2 as like others have said it takes a bit of skill to play it. MW 2 became a camp fest, noob tubes everywhere and people just trying to get killstreaks along with all the glitches.

Black Ops seems to have sorted this out and is now more about playing the game properly.
The visuals are as you would expect excellent as is the sound and voices.
I have played through the campaign and although it is short like all Cods it is enjoyable and has those big movie like moments. I like the story as well and the time it is set in. It lets the player play through a few different decades. The vehicle missions are done well.

The Multiplayer is really what its all about and I find it to be excellent. The maps ive played so far are good, some big, some small. The weapons are as you would expect and I like the way you rank up using COD points. The new wager modes are great fun with gun game being my fav.

It is good now that you can search for local matches so as to reduce any lag. This is something that was in WAW but not in infinty wards games.

The new theatre mode is awesome and a great addition plus very easy to use. Should be funny to see what videos are uploaded.
The new training mode is well done and should help non COD players get used to maps, weapons etc. The AI in training also seems to be good and competitive.

Then of course there is the zombie mode which if you have played World At War you will enjoy. With new zombies, bigger maps it should be a blast.

Overall I knew I would like this game as I loved Treyarchs previous CODs. Am sure the community will be split but to be honest I am glad COD is back to being about fun and skill like in COD 4 and WAW. Although I did enjoy MW2 it just became over run with campers, glitches etc and everytime it is played there is more anger and frustration than fun.

So I would highly recommend that you buy this as it is essentially 3 games in one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Love It, 10 Nov. 2010
Moosehunter (Chesterfield Derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
First of all those not in the know as far as video games go would look at the average score on here and think, hmm 3 stars average I'll give it a miss.
Hmm the reason for this is all the idiots who didn't get it on day 1 giving it 1 star reviews. The lack of intelligence amongst the general British public at times fills me with despair. I reckon they must all believe in Father Christmas ie a magical being that can somehow deliver thousands of parcels simultaneously to thousands of places across the country at the same time.

I have only played the multiplayer so far but have played enough to be able to give my views.

At first I thought, what the, the graphics aren't as good as on MW2 and not a patch on MOH's multiplayer (how some people reckon they are poor is beyond belief as they are stunning). However after playing a few games it is clear that they are actually pretty good (some of the textures do look a bit low res but hey) and not a game spoiler at all.
However it's gameplay not graphics that is important. Online this is a superb game, much better than MW2, everything seems more balanced, the maps are more enjoyable and there are more stats than even the most geekiest player in the world could ever want.
Other good points, the return of party chat, COD points (great idea well implemented), claymores can now be picked up and moved after you've placed them, combat training. Basically this is offline multiplayer and is great. It is especially useful for people who have not played online before to get an idea what it is all about. Useful for me to as when my nephews come round and want to play I can stick them on this without ruining my K/D ratio (not that it's that good to start with).
I also like the diving to prone which is a good laugh and the maps are not really designed for snipers which can only be a good thing.
I really liked the multiplayer on MOH but the maps were a bit of a snipers paradise. Having said that MOH was and still is a very good game online and I will still be playing it alongside this.
To sum up, if you like COD then you will like this, oh and my copy arrived at 9am on day of release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 9 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Great game as a lot of people will know. Yet again Amazon brought it to me quick and trouble free.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but not the one, 14 Nov. 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game is no where near as good as modern warfare 2. if you own MW2 dont bother with this

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing solo campaign, 23 Aug. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Review of solo campaign

If you want to play this game be prepared to be annoyed and very bored. There are very long and dull movie scenes that you can not skip. i have no idea why game companies do this. If its a good game i will play through it more than once so don't need to be forced to watch the plot unfold. Also if the plot is good i won't skip but its not. You end up being so frustrated waiting to actually play the game. Even had to resort to turning the telly on as for something to do!

Enemy AI. Well there is none. They just do stupid things. They do the usual cod things by only concentrating on you. they will run past you allies and your allies will just run around shooting in to walls. But most annoyingly they don't die. Well they do but they just re-spawn straight away. If theres a few enemies together that you shoot, by the time you have reloaded they have responded.I mean what's the point of a sniper riffle? This means half the time you just run as far forward and ignore the enemy. Kind of takes away the idea of the game. Slowly pushing the enemy back? taking cover? none of this. Also it's very linear. as in you can't flank enemies or any thing. just run and gun down any one thats there. Or don't bother as it dosn't really matter. Very little skill involved.

Its a shame because it could of been an awesome game but instead its just retarded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but I question its longevity, 20 Nov. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Call of Duty: Black Ops has so much potential, sadly much of which has been missed. The single player has the same great voice acting and AI that we have come to expect but the invisible walls steering you on your often confusing journey make it seem too much like an on rails shooter. After playing games like Bad Company 2, the lack of destructible environments also seems like a real miss.

Where CoD has always lived and excelled though is multiplayer. There are some fantastic additions such as the ability to create a totally unique player tag, paint your weapons, change the targeting site, add your logo, clan tag and add face paint. But the customisation doesn't go far enough. Remember Rainbow Six: Vegas? You could change armour, clothes colour and even map your own face onto the character. The killer though is the tiny multiplayer maps and ridiculous spawning. You can be in a room with claymores on the door and the enemy spawn right behind you. Sniper rifles are useless and the game has lost most of the strategic elements turning it into an arcade style shooter in the vein of Halo. The best tactic is to run around the outskirts of the map spraying bullets from a sub machine gun whilst jumping.

CoD BO is by no means a bad game but it has sadly way off the mark of being a great game. I question whether it will have the longevity of its predecessors.

‹ Previous | 166 67 6879 | Next ›

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) by Activision (Xbox 360)