4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but still great!
After having completed the game and played all aspects, i can happily say the game is great and i'm glad i bought it, but it comes not without penalty. It has good & bad points like most games. For me the good points are:

- The amazing gameplay and solid storyline that you'd expect from call of duty now days, the moments where you do more than just shoot...
Published on 9 Nov 2010 by B. white

3.0 out of 5 stars While Black Ops is a minor improvement on the previous outing, it still does little to expand on the COD franchise.
Wow, so Treyarch has done the impossible. Did anyone predict that they would seriously outdo Infinity Ward this time round, if ever? Always seeming to create the inferior games, they didn't have a very hefty reputation amongst COD fanboys now did they? Well being one of the non believers, I take my words back. I apologise for ever going on a rant everytime it was...
Published on 20 Jan 2012 by MaximumHeat

‹ Previous | 161 62 6369 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, great maps!, 29 Nov 2010
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I thought this was a great game. The campaign is a lot longer that call of duty mw2. I thought the campaign was really interesting and had some great characters. At first, online was frustrating and i couldn't join games, but I'm not sure if that was the game or my connection. It also took a while to get used to buying most weapons, instead of unlocking them. The graphics are better in ways, but there are still some glitches and lots of legs through walls which can be really annoying. The maps are great, especially nuketown, although some are just too big! All in all a great game, and a must for those who have enjoyed previous call of duty games.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good campain but very frustrating online, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've played all the C.O.D games and have enjoyed most of them. Unfortunately when it comes to online games such as Team Death Match or Free For All, the fun ends there for me. I don't know what it is about this game online other than it frustrates the hell out of me! I get shot with 1 o2 shots online and i'm dead. When I shoot, it takes a whole magazine to kill one person!!!! You need to have super lightning reflexes to even have a chance to shoot anyone at all.
Other frustrating stuff are kids who shouldn't be playing this game as it's an 18 talking garbage and kangaroo jumping! (to avoid being shot)
This is just a small part of the frustration because unless i've got a ethernet cable pluged in, the lag on wireless is terrible. I can't even play it because the lag is almost freezing the game making it unplayable!
The only good thing online here is the Nazi Zombies! This is very enjoyable and fun to play and they should definately do more downloadable stuff for this and forget about the other online stuff! If you want to enjoy online play other than Zombies stick to MW2 because this game is nowhere near as good. Unless they are going to improve on this franchise and make the campain much longer than a very short
5 to 6 hours to complete game I won't be buying another one anytime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Its Not The Best In the Series but overall this is a fantastic game with lots of action and has the return of zombie mode which is alot of fun aswell 10/10 .

5.0 out of 5 stars Call of duty, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I was a bit dissappointed that the game didn't arrive on the date that it should have arrived, but when it did finally get here my son was extremely happy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great yet poor, 27 Nov 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I think that black ops had the potential to be a lot different and better than the other Call of Dutys. However, they didn't take this chance, and after only a few weeks of the game being out, the game is as frustrating as others. Although, I do believe that the game is a cracker and it is the people that play online that make the game unbearable. I feel like snapping the disc practically every day and giving up on it. But it has an addictive hand that reaches out and grabs you when you want to leave it. I would recommend this to friends but I would warn them that it frustrates easily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Roll on MW3, 26 Nov 2010
P. Knight (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The campaign is fairly good,but it lacks the charm of modern warfare.For some reason I missed being bawled at by a Scottish fella.

Multi-player is what i am really interested in and the new customisations looked promising,but sadly it just feels like they have over complicated a what we had before.For example you unlock your primary and secondary weapons by leveling up,but after you have unlocked it you now have to pay for it with game credits earned from online matches.And If you suck (like me)you've never got enough credits so you then have to grind credits out for hours to buy what you want and then when you've finally bought it and equipped it :D......its not as good as what you were using originally.FFS!!!

Sounds negative but its honestly not a bad game,its actually pretty good..Its just not as good as mw2 and if someone could only afford one or the other i would tell them to buy mw2 without hesitation....So i guess I'm saying its just average.

4.0 out of 5 stars Server Issues, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've chosen to wait it out and soak in the game before submitting a review.

On purchasing the game (Xbox 360), I did - as I always do - jump straight into the campaign on veteran, aiming for the full 1000 gamerscore. I decided to put the multiplayer to the back, giving it a couple of weeks for Treyarch/Activision to release their updates, cleaning out any initial glitches shipped on the disc.

I have to say, the single player is fairly strong. It's hard to deny, the graphics look fantastic. The character models are impressive. Treyarchs move from WWII (finally!) is very welcoming.
The only low point for me is the seriously convoluted storyline that moves at such a pace that I felt I had no interest OR opportunity to connect with the main protagonists. It felt like I was getting peddled from level to level by "jigsaw" from the "Saw" series and that the ending was heavily influenced by "Fight Club".

Overall the single player was a palpable effort from - the hugely overshadowed - Treyarch. It neither turned me away or drew me in.

Having moved from the single player to multiplayer, I found I was at a greater disadvantage, having left it so late to join the online battle, I often find myself with the lowest rank in the game and constantly getting caught out by gamers who have unlocked all the equipment that works in their favour. I found the idea of currency fantastic, till, I realised we still have to unlock the guns before we are given the choice to buy them, making the hyped change from MW2 completely redundant.

In a few short weeks, it has become quite clear that "modders" have set up camp in a big way with this release. I've had the misfortune of playing with people already on their 15th and final prestige. I have encountered clan tag modifications. I have played in lobbies with users sporting "lag switches". I have been "quickscoped". I have around 250 deaths clocked by the RC-XD. I have been backed into corners by team mates on numerous occasions.

The server issue is still a problem, I find myself waiting considerable amounts of time before getting into a match. I recently upgraded my internet package and run 50 meg fibre optic, which means, the problem is definitely not on my shoulders.

This doesn't deter my enjoyment when I play, just greatly reduces my clocked hours - having "rage quit" countless times -, of which there still is many.

The maps are lacking, which if Activision had anything to do with it is more than likely deliberate, thus, giving the player even more incentive to pay for the overpriced map packs that will inevitably follow.

Overall. I still feel this is a strong release for the IP and I will definitely recommend and play it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombies!!!, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Everything about this game is enjoyable. I enjoyed the campaign, multiplayer and most of all the zombie modes. I would recommend this game.

2.0 out of 5 stars xbox online only, 20 Nov 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
If you don't have xbox live then don't bother with this game, as the single player mode is very poor, you may as well wacth an action movie. You have very little control over the game play and spend most of your time following another character it constantly goes into cinematic. For 40 pound it represents very poor value, if the practice "combat training" was available offline I would would rate it better value from money.
Online the game is pretty good so if you have xbox live then it may be worth getting it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but I question its longevity, 20 Nov 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Call of Duty: Black Ops has so much potential, sadly much of which has been missed. The single player has the same great voice acting and AI that we have come to expect but the invisible walls steering you on your often confusing journey make it seem too much like an on rails shooter. After playing games like Bad Company 2, the lack of destructible environments also seems like a real miss.

Where CoD has always lived and excelled though is multiplayer. There are some fantastic additions such as the ability to create a totally unique player tag, paint your weapons, change the targeting site, add your logo, clan tag and add face paint. But the customisation doesn't go far enough. Remember Rainbow Six: Vegas? You could change armour, clothes colour and even map your own face onto the character. The killer though is the tiny multiplayer maps and ridiculous spawning. You can be in a room with claymores on the door and the enemy spawn right behind you. Sniper rifles are useless and the game has lost most of the strategic elements turning it into an arcade style shooter in the vein of Halo. The best tactic is to run around the outskirts of the map spraying bullets from a sub machine gun whilst jumping.

CoD BO is by no means a bad game but it has sadly way off the mark of being a great game. I question whether it will have the longevity of its predecessors.

‹ Previous | 161 62 6369 | Next ›

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360) by Activision (Xbox 360)
11.82