Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 June 2011
I was channel hopping when I saw Everything Everything on the BBC music weekend thingy. I liked what I heard enough to buy the CD. It is really brilliant. I seldom buy new music these days and it is refreshing to hear something quite different. I enjoyed it immensely.
on 2 June 2011
I first heard Everything Everything at the BBC Radio 1 Big Weekend in Carlisle where I was totally blown away by the bands unique sound. The band seamlessly combines a number genres to come up with this absolute masterpiece. This album was a breath of fresh air in my music collection with excellent tracks such as the interestingly named "MY KZ, UR BF" and "Schoolin". Admittedly the slightly quirky lead vocals from Jonathan Higgs may not be for everyone, but I for one am absolutely in love with this band. The songs are catchy, the instrumental work is amazing, this is a flawless album that I cannot stop listening to.
on 6 October 2010
It is very rare for me to be inspired by a new band these days, with so many clone bands around churning out the same boring riffs, the same boring production and sound, the same predictable timing and structure. But not with Everthing Everything. I am so glad I stumbled across their Man Alive CD.

I was already utterly blown away with MY KZ, UR BF, and now listening to the rest of the tracks on the album I continue to be very impressed indeed. The production is great, the sound canvas is great, the vocals great. A very well crafted album indeed.

If its true that lead singer Jonathan Higgs said he didnt want to sound like anyone else, then he can pat himself on the back for a damn good attempt.

Anyone looking for something fresh, interesting, entertaining and captivating, then Man Alive will not disappoint.
on 27 December 2010
An album full of ideas and tricks; some of which score, some hit the post. The vocal style and octave jumps can grate a little but there is little else not to like about this musically diverse and nicely constructed suite of songs. Lots of Yes-style layers of guitar and keyboard with some truly glorious moments. Far more intelligent than your average indy-punk, this is a surprisingly mature and polished offer.
on 27 December 2012
This is a brilliant debut from Everything Everything. They are one of the few bands around who sound unique and excellently so. There's a touch of many bands including XTC, Talking Heads and Radiohead but it still sounds individual and fresh. Jonathan Higgs vocals move pitch at their own will and thought they might not be for everyone, i enjoy them. The instrumentation is solid as can be moving from dreamy synths to powerful guitars, while the bouncy drums and jaunty bass stand out equally so.

'MY KZ, UR BF'' is a superb intro, with sparkling synths and catchy-as-can-be chorus, sounding 80s and modern at the same time. 'Qwerty Finger' is extremely catchy too, and has a fizzing euphoric finish. Singles 'Schoolin' and 'Photoshop Handsome' are both great songs, moving from soft to dancey in a flash. The sheer versatility gives the album strength, 'Suffragette Suffragette' has a cool psychedelic rock-out and 'Come Alive Diana' jazzy close to fit with the great chorus. While 'Leave The Engine Room' has a charming ambience and 'Nasa Is On Your Side' is starkly beautiful.

A real powerhouse album from Everything Everything, one of the most creative debuts in a long time. It also has the best artwork seen in a long time. A must have.
on 6 January 2013
Price was good and delivery was prompt.
The album is packed with classic EE favourites, My Kz, Ur Bf and Schoolin' but what I really liked about this album was the depth and range of the songs. I have often described EE as a-cappella with music, and the album tracks diverge wildly in and around this theme for an emotionally mature and confident debut.
on 28 March 2013
I came to this album via 'Arc'. Based on the reviews I had read I expected it to be a little raw, a little hit-and-miss, so I took a few weeks getting round to giving it a listen. Oh dear, a few weeks of life wasted there. Within one track (the excellent opening track, 'My Kz Ur Bf') I had already hit Discogs to snap up one of the scarse vinyl copies of Man Alive for the price of a small house. It's that good. Barely in the last ten years have I repeat-played an album so much. There isn't one track here which I don't love. Some are more immediate than others but just as you grow acustomed to them, a new favourite springs up.
The production is crisp and punchy. The songs are catchy. The musicianship is top drawer and, as is the band's hallmark, the range of influences is so varied as to make them avoid a direct comparrison with anybody. I will avoid going through the tracks one by one and describing them and who they may sound a bit like, if anybody. Music is a subjective thing but I will say that this album is truly great and if they release one of it's equal in their entire career, then I will be greedily lapping it up. A far superior album to Arc I would say. Eleven out of ten.
on 19 December 2012
It is very rare these days to find an album which delivers consistent quality on each track but the excellent "man alive" more than achieves this. Having been drawn to everything everything through the singles "MY KZ, UR BF" and "photoshop handsome" as a lot of people, this album does not disappoint. The vocal range displayed by Jonathan Higgs throughout is astonishing, especially on the songs "leave the engine room" and "NASA is on your side". Having seen this band live a few times, the power of this man's falsetto voice is quite unique. A must see!
The real beauty of this album is the striking contrast between these slower, stripped back tracks and the higher tempo songs such as "querty finger" and the brilliant "suffragette suffragette" which will have you humming that heavy riff for days.

In summary, I believe this is one of the best albums composed by a british band in recent years and would definitely recommend it to everyone. Can't wait for their next one!
on 25 January 2012
I heard a few snippets around the Mercury Prize time and thought it sounded the best of the bunch. It's sort of sounds like early 80s pop made by indie art student types. But the more I listen to it, the less charming, and more smug it becomes. And now I can't hear anything other than a smug clever-clogs singing. There's nowt wrong with being clever. To be fair, showing off and being smug is part and parcel of being a pop star too. Maybe I need tonic. Are there any thick, insecure pop stars I could use as an antidote?
on 2 May 2011
A rare case where the album confirms what you had hoped to find after hearing the single. Everything Everything's debut seems certain to disrupt any notion of a singular contemporary "Manchester sound". Where bands such as Elbow, Doves, and I Am Kloot, have tended to draw less from the realms of earlier electronic Manchester bands, Everything Everything's aesthetic extracts from the more electronic-based output of New Order et al. that, on the whole, the aforementioned bands seem to have departed from. In general, their almost postmodern (a dangerous term I know!) approach makes it difficult to place EE within any regional centre.

Despite certainly being a group with a great diverse number of influences, Man Alive is hardly a "spot the influence" album. The successful integration of these constituent elements suggests a band a great deal more mature than might have at first been expected. For example, the later part of Schoolin' displays wonderful post-Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint guitar parts, Suffragette Suffragette possesses a riff dripping with Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave, and Tin (The Manhole) has a minimalistic essence of Kieran Hebden's (Four Tet) latest release, although, who in particular coined that sound is a point of debate.

Tracks such as Come Alive Diana, Final Form, and the surprisingly moving NASA Is On Your Side, will surely ensure the bands commercial viability, while the originality exhibited in these and other songs will no doubt create a devoted and attentive audience.

Everything Everything have created a quite remarkable album. They are intelligent musicians that, if given creative freedom by their label, will undoubtedly do great things in the future. I would certainly recommend purchasing this album, I've been listening to it everyday since buying it. In addition, the band are still relatively on the sidelines, so suggesting this album to your mates can still make you look like a bit of a smart-arse!