Published on 2 Jun 2011 by William Percival

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever Clever
Published on 25 Jan 2012 by Jimothy

5.0 out of 5 stars It was love at first sight with this British Alternative Rock Band, 2 Jun 2011
William Percival (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Alive (MP3 Download)
I first heard Everything Everything at the BBC Radio 1 Big Weekend in Carlisle where I was totally blown away by the bands unique sound. The band seamlessly combines a number genres to come up with this absolute masterpiece. This album was a breath of fresh air in my music collection with excellent tracks such as the interestingly named "MY KZ, UR BF" and "Schoolin". Admittedly the slightly quirky lead vocals from Jonathan Higgs may not be for everyone, but I for one am absolutely in love with this band. The songs are catchy, the instrumental work is amazing, this is a flawless album that I cannot stop listening to.

4.0 out of 5 stars I know what his dad listened to!, 27 Dec 2010
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
An album full of ideas and tricks; some of which score, some hit the post. The vocal style and octave jumps can grate a little but there is little else not to like about this musically diverse and nicely constructed suite of songs. Lots of Yes-style layers of guitar and keyboard with some truly glorious moments. Far more intelligent than your average indy-punk, this is a surprisingly mature and polished offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Oct 2010
J. Munro "jock_munro" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
It is very rare for me to be inspired by a new band these days, with so many clone bands around churning out the same boring riffs, the same boring production and sound, the same predictable timing and structure. But not with Everthing Everything. I am so glad I stumbled across their Man Alive CD.

I was already utterly blown away with MY KZ, UR BF, and now listening to the rest of the tracks on the album I continue to be very impressed indeed. The production is great, the sound canvas is great, the vocals great. A very well crafted album indeed.

If its true that lead singer Jonathan Higgs said he didnt want to sound like anyone else, then he can pat himself on the back for a damn good attempt.

Anyone looking for something fresh, interesting, entertaining and captivating, then Man Alive will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabbo, 4 Oct 2010
boz (florida MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
listen to these guys then listen to later "Caravan".
"The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again"
for example..
i think you'll discover what lurks in their parents' record collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good., 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
Great album, great mix of songs with some great instrumentals and lyrics, I would highly recommend this album, buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 8 Feb 2013
Martin Fielding (Findon, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
I got into this band via their excellent new (2nd) album Arc and I couldn't wait to get their first album - my minor disappointment with what I initially perceived to be an inferior work to Arc (albeit understandably inferior because of the latter's excellence and the fact that it pre-dates Arc by more than two years) has now been replaced after repeated listens by admiration for what is perhaps an even better, and certainly more consistent, collection than Arc - true it is not as immediate and there are no pinnacles quite as high as the sublime Duet (3mins 41sec of genius) on the new record although Come Alive Diana comes close, but these are simply 12 great great pop songs - to get an idea of the progression between the two albums you should maybe think of The Bends vs OK Computer but bear in mind those were Radiohead's 2nd and 3rd albums not their 1st and 2nd! These guys have been making brilliant music from the get go! This is truly an outstanding band and I just hope we don't have to wait another two years before their third!

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever Clever, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
I heard a few snippets around the Mercury Prize time and thought it sounded the best of the bunch. It's sort of sounds like early 80s pop made by indie art student types. But the more I listen to it, the less charming, and more smug it becomes. And now I can't hear anything other than a smug clever-clogs singing. There's nowt wrong with being clever. To be fair, showing off and being smug is part and parcel of being a pop star too. Maybe I need tonic. Are there any thick, insecure pop stars I could use as an antidote?

5.0 out of 5 stars Man Alive! my album of the year, 4 Oct 2010
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
This is an absolutely stunning debut from a band I came across purely by accident. If you like your music to fit into nicely defined categories, you'll be disappointed; this is the most original, fresh music I've heard for a good long while, and its utterly impossible to pigeonhole. Everything Everything combine exuberant vocals, morphing beats and a huge range of instrumental styles in an album that still manages to sound better with each listen, and with not one single duff track. The lyrics are full of wit, wry observation , and downright weirdness. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing, 31 Aug 2010
Big Twink (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
This band remind me of several others but as other reviews have pointed out, EE defy categorisation. Just be reassured that they are inventive, quirky, strange, funky, graceful and thrillingly catchy.

For all the vocal and musical dynamics, they distinguish themselves from most of the current pack by having superb songcraft too.

And 'Nasa is on your side' will likely be my tune of the year, although it is difficult to single out one track from this highly consistent Lp.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last something "new"!!, 7 Nov 2010
B. J. du Cille (West Bromwich, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
I feel like I have been waiting for an album like this for a long time. The last thing I really loved and thought was original (as far as music can be these days) was Elbow. I saw EE on Later and really enjoyed the fact that they weren't the bleeding Kings of Leon or Kasabian (both of whom sound like reject bands from the late sixties /early seventies). EE have crafted something new from just about everything that has gone before. People have referenced Gentle Giant in some reviews but I do not hear that and I have everything recorded by GG and love them. XTC and Dolby spring immediately to mind , or even Sparks but what EE have done is updated and brought something new to the table. I can see why lots of people will hate them but I love this album - I fear they will suffer the same fate as XTC too - much loved but never mainstream or internationally acclaimed (I do hope I am wrong). I cannot wait for the second album it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off a second time. The lyrics are amazing -even when you cannot understand or catch them!! They just have a great sound. Who else would write the following lines and still be hip?
"Watch your dorsal fin collapse! / I know nothing about my history!'I put a rainforest in an Oxo cube! Struck by lightning if I take the tube!'Thank your chromosomes for that'I have skin like a waxen peel, and a face that I can never feel but
Airbrush! 'What have you done with my landscape? 'Flooding the fields with this clone shape?'Where is the country you died for?'And what is the century?
And Ah-Ah-Ah!'Who did your Photoshop handsome? 'You ready for reincarnation?'Gotta come back as something less frantic'You gotta banish that army of panic'Gotta come back as something organic,
Come back as something organic, or come back as something else!" from Photoshop Handsome - wonderful stuff.
I doubt this band has aimed their music at me (I am 62!!) but it has raised my expectations for the new musical generation, expectations that had been dashed by the likes of Plan B and his ilk. If you have not heard it seek it out - there are new young guns in town!!

Man Alive
Man Alive by Everything Everything (Audio CD - 2010)