Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Original Packaging|Change

on 26 April 2014
Bought this for grandson's sixth birthday and it was a real success: he absolutely loves it. Needs an adult to show child how to do the tricks, but once shown, the tricks are well within a six year old's grasp. The set itself is very impressive, being sturdy, opulent and appealing to look at. Well worth paying the extra.
on 4 April 2016
Great item. My son received this for his 8th birthday and has loved doing magic shows for us. Good quality wooden pieces, loads better than the plastic sets I have seen. Some tricks are more complex than others but all are do-able with a bit of practice. There are plenty of demos on Youtube, which are handy in a couple of places as the instructions are sometimes a bit lacking in detail, much easier to follow video instruction on a couple of them.
on 18 January 2016
Superb high quality magic set. My 6 year old could do all the tricks apart from one number based one, which required a bit too much mental arithmetic. After seeing the plastic magic sets available elsewhere I thought there must be a better quality set for kids, this is it.
on 25 January 2016
High Quality Magic Set. Some tricks require a bit of practice but most of them are very easy to learn. My 4-year old managed to learn how to make the softball disappear in the box. It also comes in a nice wooden box. Much better than all the cheap plastic stuff around. This set will last....
on 24 December 2013
I bought this for my seven year old granddaughter for Christmas. It is very well made and she just loves it. It didn't take her very long to figure out how to do the tricks and she loves to perform for an audience (ad infinitum)
on 16 June 2015
The best magic set I could find for a 7 year olds birthday gift. We've had a lot of fun with it but the finish of the products isn't great- there's actually some rough wood on inside bits of some of the tricks that could easily cause splinters, they're hard to store and one of the tricks was broken easily by little hands. This was not worth the money but it's good fun and I couldn't find any real alternatives for an easy, decent quality children's magic set.
on 5 January 2014
My six year old recieved this set for Christmas. On the whole, we're happy with it. The tricks require a little bit of adult assistance but she can do enough of them by herself not to get frustrated. It looks and feels like good quality on the whole but I didn't give it five stars because two of the little boxes broke very quickly. I didn't see them being damaged and I have to say that this could have been due to rough handling by her three year old brother but even so, I would expect a Melissa and Doug product to hold up better than that. My other issue is that the box doesn't stay latch closed so its not ideal for storage. Overall, a good product that my daughter is delighted with and I would buy it again.
on 27 December 2014
10 yr old daughter loves this. One of her ' best Christmas presents'. As usual with Mellisa and doug products this magic set is excellent quality. The wooden set is detailed and beautiful to look at. There are the right amount of tricks and they are simple but effective. Highly recommend.
on 14 February 2016
For around £13 delivered with Prime this Magic Set offered exceptional value. The Magic Set is very high quality and comes excellently presented which makes it an ideal gift. This was for an 8 year old who was over the moon with the Magic Set, the instructions were also clear and easy to follow which had him performing magic tricks within half an hour!
on 19 February 2012
We got this as a replacement Magic set for a 7yo when the box of 125 magic tricks (mostly in naff plastic) was returned due to poor quality of the items (and failure of a fair few of the tricks). The Melissa and Doug set is in a different league, lots of wooden items with a nice look to them. As a gift to a young and aspiring magician this looks fantastic. Every trick works as intended (more or less) and it all packs away into a fairly solid wooden box but it isnt without its flaws

The best item by far is the trick that puts someones coin inside 3 nested boxes. You need some good patter (and a little sleight of hand helps) to make it work well, but even a young one can really impress people with this

Another good item seem to be the mind reading cards (which with practice you can use without even looking at them, and that really impresses people) for a 7yo is it harder as it requires some mental arithmetic but our little one really wants to learn how to do it now, which is good. The coin multiplying tray is ok, and with a little help I was able to show our little girl how to do the same trick with a plain tea cup saucer, which also impressed

In use some of the other tricks are rather poorly made alas. For example the coin vanisher box has wonky hinges and an all too obvious shelf, the wand vanisher has a mirror that isnt fitted properly so you can see how it works and the ball vanisher has a flimsy plastic hinge that bends after a few enthusiastic uses. The wood and velvet vanishing bag is almost great but the hinge is too stiff for a little one and even a grown up will struggle to use the prop properly without raising suspicion. The prediction mummy seems to work but so far it has proven impossible to finish the trick without people seeing how it works - maybe that will improve with practice?

All in all it is a shame the items dont quite live up to the promise (at least from an adult purchasers point of view, and at the price). From the looks alone it appears to be a great gift, and to be fair our 7yo is so very proud of her Magic set

If you are wanting a gift for a younger child (7 up to maybe 10 or 11) who is wanting a good start in magic, then this is a good choice (well there arent that many other choices). Our little girl feel like she is using 'proper' magic items rather than stuff you would get from a Christmas cracker and she now really wants to learn more tricks (which I doubt would have happened with the naff plastic stuff we got initially) so we are adding a colour changing hanky and getting a couple of good books as well - so a successful outcome even if a fair few items in the set probably wont last long and the price is quite high
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse