5.0 out of 5 stars Almost too beautiful to be used!
Published on 26 Oct. 2011 by FS

Published on 19 Feb. 2012 by Adrian

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost great (but rather fragile), all in all an ok intro set though, 19 Feb. 2012
Adrian "adrianjfrost" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
We got this as a replacement Magic set for a 7yo when the box of 125 magic tricks (mostly in naff plastic) was returned due to poor quality of the items (and failure of a fair few of the tricks). The Melissa and Doug set is in a different league, lots of wooden items with a nice look to them. As a gift to a young and aspiring magician this looks fantastic. Every trick works as intended (more or less) and it all packs away into a fairly solid wooden box but it isnt without its flaws

The best item by far is the trick that puts someones coin inside 3 nested boxes. You need some good patter (and a little sleight of hand helps) to make it work well, but even a young one can really impress people with this

Another good item seem to be the mind reading cards (which with practice you can use without even looking at them, and that really impresses people) for a 7yo is it harder as it requires some mental arithmetic but our little one really wants to learn how to do it now, which is good. The coin multiplying tray is ok, and with a little help I was able to show our little girl how to do the same trick with a plain tea cup saucer, which also impressed

In use some of the other tricks are rather poorly made alas. For example the coin vanisher box has wonky hinges and an all too obvious shelf, the wand vanisher has a mirror that isnt fitted properly so you can see how it works and the ball vanisher has a flimsy plastic hinge that bends after a few enthusiastic uses. The wood and velvet vanishing bag is almost great but the hinge is too stiff for a little one and even a grown up will struggle to use the prop properly without raising suspicion. The prediction mummy seems to work but so far it has proven impossible to finish the trick without people seeing how it works - maybe that will improve with practice?

All in all it is a shame the items dont quite live up to the promise (at least from an adult purchasers point of view, and at the price). From the looks alone it appears to be a great gift, and to be fair our 7yo is so very proud of her Magic set

If you are wanting a gift for a younger child (7 up to maybe 10 or 11) who is wanting a good start in magic, then this is a good choice (well there arent that many other choices). Our little girl feel like she is using 'proper' magic items rather than stuff you would get from a Christmas cracker and she now really wants to learn more tricks (which I doubt would have happened with the naff plastic stuff we got initially) so we are adding a colour changing hanky and getting a couple of good books as well - so a successful outcome even if a fair few items in the set probably wont last long and the price is quite high

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost too beautiful to be used!, 26 Oct. 2011
FS (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas last year as she had been asking for ages for a magic set. I had looked at every one I could - all of which seemed cheap and plastic. I came across this one and it is absolutely beautiful. Painted wood, velvet etc. Probably not suitable for children that don't treasure their toys, but it is the closest thing to a professional magic set you can buy for a child. My daughter aged 6 did need some instruction and had to learn to deliver the illusions, but she got there. I understand a previous post about storing the items safely, but they do fit in the wooden box/theatre and although no closing mechanism, we just put a big rubber band round it. A little hook at the side would be useful, but I don't mind as it has so much else going for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner set., 16 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
Bought as a gift for our 9 year old grandson and he was delighted with it. We chose this set as we felt it would be better to master 10 tricks well rather than try to do too many at once. We also liked the wooden construction for solidity. Overall it is a very good magic set and well made apart from the stitching on the silk squares which is very poor!

It is helpful that the instructions indicate which tricks may be more difficult to master and so he started with some of the easier ones, so gained confidence with these. The disappearing ball was very quick to learn and encouraged by the fact that we couldn't find the ball at first, thought it was missing, and then discovered it in its 'disappeared' location - learnt that trick straight away! We all love the use of the box as the magic display stand.

Had managed sufficient tricks and patter to go with them to do a small magic show for his family at the end of the day. It was a joy to see his younger siblings turn to me after some tricks with eyes wide with amazement asking, "How did he do THAT?". A good buy and I would recommend this to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's magic!, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
This has been taken into school as the favourite present and a show is being planned for the annual family BBQ - well played with, it was a good choice of present for my neice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
Having read reviews on 2 other products that I nearly bought, pleased I purchased this as looked good quality and great for youngsters beginning to do magic tricks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
My 12yr old grand daughter loved this and gave us all a quite professional performance over New Year. Good quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember the age recommendation, 28 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
This is a fabulous magic set. Within my daughters group of friends at her school we have all bought it for eachothers kids' birthdays as it has proved so popular (4 so far!)

The tricks are very, very good and yes some are quite complicated but I like this as it gives opportunity to grow into it.

I wanted to leave this review as I felt the two reviews on here were not being fair. The recommended age is 8+ and the two reviewers both bought the set for age 7 children. My daughter is only age 6, but we are aware of the limitations this may have, so have taken this into consideration. If you want something your children can do on their own and a set that is very robust (though in my opinion this is), then buy something age-appropriate.

5.0 out of 5 stars magic, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
Bought for my 6 year old who asked Santa for a magic set, I looked at plenty of different sets and plumped for this one based on the reviews and the beautiful pictures. The set is amazing, beautiful painted wood storage case which can be used as a magicians table/stage. The tricks to learn are
Vanishing Zone - make anything that passes through the box disappear
Magic Number Prediction- correctly pick the number chosen by an ' audience member'
Magic Coin Box- involving a marked coin, showing up inside sealed boxes and bags
Disappearing Ball- make a ball vanish with a wave of your hand
Vanishing coin-make a coin move and disappear
Egyptian Prediction- predict the order in which 5 discs will be placed by an observer
Money Maker- coins magically multiply
Cylinder Squeeze- mysteriously push a red cylinder through blue and green ones
The Great Escape- make a box magically disappear after it is put inside another in plain view and , finally, Secret Silks- make silks placed in a velvet bag disappear.
My son has already mastered the Money Maker and Secret Silks tricks and we are working with him on the rest, he loves the little wand that is included and loves putting on a little show once he has learned a new trick, one thing he needs to learn though is...a magician never discusses his tricks!
I am over the moon with my purchase and it has brought so much happiness to my son, I would recommend this..stunning quality and all tricks are fully explained in the included leaflet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Woofen magic set, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set (Toy)
Great present for our son. Superior magic set made of attractive wood. Only contains ten tricks; I would have preferred more as it is quite expensive, however we were pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality Magic Set, 1 Jan. 2013
I gave this box of Magic Tricks to my 7 year old Grandson for Christmas. It has a good selection of tricks which were easy to understand and with practice look very professional. The quality was very good and will hopefully last a long time. The box makes into workstation and makes storage easy. Although it is a bit more expensive than some Magic tricks it is well worth it. My grand son enjoys Magic tricks and although the first time he was helped he quickly understood how to do the tricks

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set