5.0 out of 5 stars A Majestic Adventure
Published on 20 Aug 2011 by TriaonyRabbit

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in places but slow to get there.
Published on 2 Mar 2012 by Paul T.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Majestic Adventure, 20 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
At first I only downloaded this book because it was free. It was one of those hidden gems that have made me love my kindle all the more. This story is a majestic telling of the adventure/trial and story of one young girl. There is magic, forests, magical creatures and betrayal. Yes to be fair this story is not action packed. There are not many action scenes. Instead the author constructs an almost poetic telling of what happens. There is deep description within every page. You can feel the bitter cold, the fear, the wind in your hair. This story makes you dissolve within the setting and for that it caught my attention.
The characters all have their flaws, including the heroine and whilst sometimes the dialogue between the characters gets lengthy and almost tiresome it still helps to move the plot forward and allow you to see what the characters are about.
If you like Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter you will like this story and it is a true gem. I highly recommend this story and am now going to download the rest of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in places but slow to get there., 2 Mar 2012
Paul T. (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
Though spoiled by the occasional clumsy sentence and in need of a touch more editing, this reads quite well. Still, I struggled to finish it, and that was mostly down to the slow pace. Some reviewers found this a benefit, but I was tempted to give up on it at some points. All the elements for a good plot are there - the mysterious sword, the strange mark that it makes, and so on - but the links between them are so drawn out that the sense of mystery and tension that they should generate was largely lost.

The characters were detailed, but somehow unconvincing - they seemed to me to be driven by the plot. Myranda, for example, only seems capable of anger when the story requires her to lose her temper. At other times, she's shown as a tough but essentially gentle person, without the depths from which anger could arise.

Another concern was the background. A good fantasy has a rich and detailed world underlying it - as complete as possible in its culture, its history, its economy and so on. I had no sense of this at all. The background seemed merely sketched in - a long war, three kingdoms united in an Alliance run by various generals - and that was about it. To me, it made the entire story feel shallow.

Which is a pity, because there are some very good bits in it. Some of the descriptions are very atmospheric. Myranda's struggles to survive in the cold wilderness are well described, and the climatic test of her magical abilities is vivid, exciting and imaginative.

Worth reading as a free book, and many readers will enjoy it. To me, however, it needs to be tightened up and trimmed down to increase the pace and tension.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable fantasy. A true gem of the kindle., 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
After reading the reviews for this book and liking the look of the burb, I downloaded this. Not a decision I regretted, the main protagonist is a fascinatingly well-written character with whom you quickly fall in love with and the same can be said for the other characters, who are so very real. (Her pet dragon is a delightful character in herself) I tore through this book so fast, I found it far too difficult to put down. Simply outstanding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some problems but an easy read, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
In reality I would mark this at 3.5 stars if I was able. This book is easy to read. Leo as a character seems interesting enough and Myn the dragon likeable. I also liked the grumpy healer our main character first learned from. Our main character is a bit overpowered in my view but she is not a picture of perfection. I get the impression she as well as Leo will get a much needed attitude adjustment in later books. The magical rules of this world are nothing really too new but are simple to follow.

This novel wasn't perfect however. While simple to read, at times it didn't stick to the rule of "show don't tell". While I can believe our main heroine is a "resourceful young lady" it is jarring for such a descriptor to be used in the narration. If it must be stated outright it would be better if another character says this and in this case she has no shortage of admirers to do so.

Overall the story is slow in pace. While it is clearly moving and building itself for greater things to come I can understand the problems others are having with it.

In the end however I do not regret reading this book. It was free on kindle and as stated is easy to read. It has some interesting characters as well which could develop in the future.

The next book is less than 2 on kindle and I have purchased it. I hope to review it when I am finished. I wish the author the best of luck for the future!

4.0 out of 5 stars slow start but worth persevering as enjoyable read, 21 July 2011
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
Downloaded this to my kindle as it was free, I wasn't expecting much as I don't usually like war books and did find the first few pages hard going, though once past those the story comes together, got my head round the characters as there are a number of bounces between the heroine, the army and the resistance fighters. I enjoyed the book, especially after Ayna starts training in magic and fabled characters are introduced like dragons, mermaids and elves, and I am hoping that book 1 is just the lead up to more action in the following books where I hope she puts all she has learnt into practice and will be purchasing the sequels to find out. A very entertaining read and would recommend to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read!, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
I, like many others I suppose, picked up this book because it was free.

However I'm going to have to rethink what I know about 'free' books, because this piece was incredible! Deep characters, engaging plot and the promise of good things come which is already leading me towards the trilogy. Half way through I pretty much knew I was going to buy the next books in the series, but to get to the end realise that I desperately wanted to know more was a pleasant surprise.

Pick up this book for an entertaining, well crafted read with plenty of promise to deliver good things as it goes on. I'll be reviewing the book in a little more detail on my blog, so if you're curious for a bit more depth on my thoughts, check it out at [ ... ]

Thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin Sword n Sorcery Series - needs an editor., 14 Jan 2013
FantasyWriter (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
Promising Sword and Sorcery, but desperately needs an editor.

The Deacon Trilogy shows promise. I bought it while hoofing around Smashwords for interesting reviews on indie fantasy titles. This one got excellent reader reviews, and shows wonderful promise. This is a fun, entertaining, solid sword n sorcery series which for the money is fantastic value.

I do think the writer could do with a bank of solid beta readers and both a content and copy editor. Frankly, I found myself thinking, "This is a wonderful first draft, I can't wait to read the finished book." Because I desperately want to read that finished, polished works that I know these books can be, I am going to give it three stars and not the four or five it would merit had all the niggles been sorted out.

Most readers looking for a fun read may well be very forgiving of punctuation problems (!?), word confusion (though/through, alter/altar,) and the odd Point of View leaps and formatting issues, but the danger is that some sensitive readers will be yanked out of the carefully constructed, interesting "other world" in to this one - as a high fantasy novelist, you don't ever want that to happen. More demanding readers who expect from their indie bookshelf the same polish and sparkle as from mainstream publishers will become frustrated and should remember big publishers have resources - which is apparent when you find yourself paying through the nose. However, given the poorly written unimaginative dross - from both mainstream and indie publishers -that HAS been copy-edited out there, these books deserve not to be judged to harshly for the wonderful feet of imagination achieved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible., 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this series to anyone who likes series like Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Eragon and similar themed books. Lallo rivals the skill of those great authors and deserves much more recognition.

I couldn't put this down, it is a story full of magic and excitement that transports you straight into the world if Myranda and her company. It is a hidden gem and I would have readily paid for the privilege to read it. The characters are expertly crafted and I feel a connection to each and every one of then. The settings and events are described masterfully.

I have finished the whole series, but I have reviewed here so I can prompt more to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a really great read, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story with its many surprises. The characters really came to life for me I really loved it I can really recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (Kindle Edition)
As I got it As a freebie I thought it might not be very good but found it quite engaging. Definitely worth a read

The Book of Deacon